Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do YOU make sticky rice?

To add to the ongoing rice saga...

I made Spam musubi tonight, and it was the first time I tried the "new" method. I cut back on the ratio from 2:1 to 1.25:1. The rice was good, but no good for Spam musubi. It wasn't as sticky as I would've liked.

Still ono, though. I'll know better next time.

(Too bad I couldn't get in touch with my sister. The last time either of us had Spam musubi was about 10 years ago. I was going to share with her, but.... She's lost in college land. Her loss! More for me!)
    ~'Ailina

Comment

I use a rice cooker, put in the rice(still wash it b/c it's what I grew up doing), put my hand flat down on top of the rice and pour in water up to the level of my knuckles. Different but my mom showed me how(learned from my Japanese auntie) and it works. I use short grain 'Nishiki' rice, sometimes basmati if I'm eating Indian food.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
        I use a rice cooker, put in the rice(still wash it b/c it's what I grew up doing), put my hand flat down on top of the rice and pour in water up to the level of my knuckles. Different but my mom showed me how(learned from my Japanese auntie) and it works. I use short grain 'Nishiki' rice, sometimes basmati if I'm eating Indian food.
        I used to use da knuckle method too, but moa betta you go use one measuring cup and foa every cup of rice, use 2 cups water. Afta da first time you do dis, den you can adjust da water if you like moa sticky kine rice. Part of da trick is dakine rice you use. Calrose is medium grain and basmati is long grain. If you really like extra sticky rice, go use arborio or sushi rice (short graim).

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I usually use the short grain/sushi rice to make my stiky rice. Otherwise, if I don't have short grain rice, I just mix a handful or two with the long grain rice that I usually eat. And I like to use my good ole pot for cooking the rice. When they make rice cookers that can make crunchy rice chips as well then I'll use the rice cooker.

Comment

crunchy chips?? what do u mean?

Comment

Making Sticky rice is easy you need the correct type of rice.

Thai sticky rice (also known as "sweet rice" or "glutinous rice")

What you do is you measure out a cup of rice. and get a bowl
              and put the rice in the bowl.

You First need to Wash the Rice as often you will find Rat Dropping and such
              in there. And it will mess up your batch if you cook that crap in there.

So Take your bowl and put it in the sink and fill it up with water and keep the water running and the crap will come up to the top and go over the bowl
              you can also run it through your hands to be sure it is clean.

When It looks like you have some clean rice take the bowl out and let it sit.
              Most Thais will let it sit over night this makes for very soft and mushie sticky rice. I am in more favor of Lao style with a bit firmer rice so I Only soak mine for an hour or so.

Next you need the proper Sticky Rice Equipment. Thai Metal Steam cooker pot. This looks like a pot that has been squeezed near the top and then opens up like a funnel on top. Check your Thai/Lao Shop.

And you will need a Thai Bamboo Cooking Basket.

Boil your water then.
              you put the Basket on the cooking pot then add the sticky rice.

the rice will steam and you lift up the basket and flip the rice.
              it will roll into a ball in the basket. Flip and use a wooden spoon to break the ball and roll it up again.

when it looks cooked take the basket off.
              and you need to get the steam out of the sticky rice.

So I use an old Thai Sticky rice bag. and put my rice ball on it from the
              basket. And spread the rice out to get the steam out.

The put the rice into your sticky rice storing basket. This is a small bamboo basket with a lid and a carry string.

Now you have some real sticky rice that even a Thai would be impressed with.

now all you need is some bakung to dip your rice in and eat.

I learned how to make sticky rice from my ex-wife from Laos.
              She was born in Laos and grew up there. I did not learn from
              some American Cook Book.

Peace.
              cgfx

Comment

I wen grow up wit da index fingah method; my maddah always wen wash da rice first, den soak um foah about 30 minutes. Now, I mebbe wash um chree times if dat an soak if I get time.

If I going be in da kitchen foah watch um, den I used 2:1 watah to rice. Bring to boil, den keep cooking till almost all da watah gone. Den turn off da heat, cover da pot, and cook foah about 20 minutes. Dat's it.

If I no can stay in da kitchen, den I use da rice cookah, litto moah watah den da line says.

I been buying NikoNiko rice... seems to come good every time.

All dat said, I find dat cooking on da stove I like da rice bettah. Has bettah texture dat I like. So if I can stay in da kitchen, dat's how I like cook um.
                Aloha,
                Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by cgfx
                  You First need to Wash the Rice as often you will find Rat Dropping and such
                  in there. And it will mess up your batch if you cook that crap in there.

cgfx
                  Uhmm ... thanks, but I had a big lunch ...

(sidling toward the door)

Comment

Wow I never thought making rice was a science lol.

Comment

Eh da rat droppings gives the rice texture! Like Furikake!
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                      X