Thread: How do YOU make sticky rice?

Default How do YOU make sticky rice?

Now, I guess there's no right way to make sticky rice, because I'm sure more than one person has reached perfection. But I'm curious to know the methods other people swear by.

Do you use a rice cooker? steamer? or a pot? Do you use "sticky rice"? Calrose? Long grain or short grain? Do you measure the water by 2-to-1 ratio, or do you use the finger method? Do you always wash the rice till the water runs clear? Do you cook it for 20 minutes or 30 minutes?

To be fair, I'll go first. My dad always used a rice cooker and the finger method. He always washed the rice first. We don't have a rice cooker, so I use a pot. I used to measure with the finger method, but since I use different sized pots all the time, I measure 2-to-1 now. Sometimes I wash the rice, sometimes I don't--it depends on if I'm in the mood or not. And I buy a local Louisiana brand long grain. I cook 20 minutes, and my rice is consistently sticky.

I figure I could improve my methods, so that's why I'm asking you!
    ~'Ailina

Default Re: How do YOU make sticky rice?

I "cheat" and use a rice cooker, BUT I know how to cook rice in the pot, cuz small kid time that's how it was done. Your method sounds like how I used to do it. I use short grained rice and sometimes the family enjoys the brown rice too.
    Retired Senior Member

I use different size rice cookers depending on how many of us are here. From 3 cups to 10 cups capacity. It's all measured the same way, using my finger. I wash the talc but was taught not to wash it til it's clear because we're washing away all the nutrients too. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's one of those things that just stuck with me. When we go camping I use a pot, same wash/measure technique though.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

depending on the length of your index finger from the tip to the first joint will determine the stickiness of your rice.

Long fingers will result in stickier rice, short fat fingers lead to not so sticky rice.

Two to one? I use a 1:1 ratio if I have a bandaid on my measuring finger. I wash my rice three times only and add about a couple tablespoons of rice vinegar to help preserve it overnight. Want a great tasting rice? Substitute the final water with half sake half water. Ono!

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
    depending on the length of your index finger from the tip to the first joint will determine the stickiness of your rice.

Long fingers will result in stickier rice, short fat fingers lead to not so sticky rice.

Two to one? I use a 1:1 ratio if I have a bandaid on my measuring finger. I wash my rice three times only and add about a couple tablespoons of rice vinegar to help preserve it overnight. Want a great tasting rice? Substitute the final water with half sake half water. Ono!
    I measure the bottom of the pot with the tip of my middle finger to the top of the rice level, marking that spot with my thumb, then use the same spot to measure the water with my finger tip on the surface of the rice. Then I pour out just a little water so that the amount of water and rice is equal. I use the rice vinegar during the summer when we don't have the AC running. When it's cool, the rice doesn't need the vinegar, it usually keeps well overnight. Must try the sake though, never had sake even though I live in Japan. Sad yeah?

I use my finger and a pot. And I favor Japanese rice.

I admit, I love my fancy, "fuzzy logic" hyper intelligent rice cooker (slash steamer slash crock pot slash whatever). I think the thing's smarter than me. It's very hard to make a bad batch with it, at least.

Still, I learned the hard way - basic pot, electric range, "fingah method" to measure the rice and water.

I even managed a decent pot of rice on a camping trip once... though we had to sacrifice the bottom half-inch of rice (and the batch was described as having a "special smoked flavor"). Not bad, I still say, for cheap tin and a disposable hibachi.

I use my rice cooker!! Our local Super Stop & Shop as well as local asian grocers carries the Kokuho Rose brand rice which I like. They have couple other brands too! I no wash the rice. And it's 1 cup rice to 1.25 cup water!
    Lovena

you know...I think elevation has a lot to do with how much water to use. When I was in Denver (mile high) my rice always came out mushy. I had to use less water up there.

Mahalo for sharing all the rice cooking methods. When I was at the oriental grocery store yesterday, I bought the Kokuho rice. We're gonna try that. And I'm definitely going to lower my water-to-rice ratio.

Last time I made rice, I washed it till the water ran clear, but that takes so much water! We really have to conserve around here with so many kids in the house. I think maybe 2 or 3 times is good enough.
    ~'Ailina

You know, I don't bother washing the rice at all these days. It used to be that you had to because they used talc to keep the grains from sticking together, and you didn't want to be eating talc. But these days I understand they use some kind of starch product instead, which is completely edible, so it's not actually necessary to wash the stuff off any more.

Then again, if I'm wrong then I've been eating a lot of talc.

Am I the only local person who doesn't use his fingers?

I measure the rice by the lines on the side. Somehow, that method is easy for me, and it produces good rice all the time.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

It also depends on the variety of rice you use. Calrose (what most people in Hawaii use) is a medium grain, and it will cook up "stickier" than a long grain ("Chinese" ) rice. Arborio rice (the stuff they use in Italian risotto and Spanish paella) is a short grain rice and normally you simmer it in some kind of stock and leave it a little soupy.

I like to use Thai jasmine rice because of its fragrance. If you add extra water (finger method) it stays pretty sticky when it's first cooked. Wouldn't recommend it to be used on the second day for fried rice, though.

Aloha,
    Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
    You know, I don't bother washing the rice at all these days. It used to be that you had to because they used talc to keep the grains from sticking together, and you didn't want to be eating talc. But these days I understand they use some kind of starch product instead, which is completely edible, so it's not actually necessary to wash the stuff off any more.

Then again, if I'm wrong then I've been eating a lot of talc.
    ahhha.. yah same here! Glue + rice

Wink Re: How do YOU make sticky rice?

I am originally from Japan and my family always makes sticky rice with a rice cooker. The secret to make a sticky rice is put more water than it got to. For example, you put 3 cups of rice in the cooker and pour water up to the line indicating 3.5 cups on the cooker. Then the rice gets sticker than usual. I used to use my hand to measure the right amount of water for making rice but it's not always the same and not reliable. So I recommend you to use the measuring line on the rice cooker.
    Another important factor for sticky rice is soak it in the water for at least 10 minutes (20-30min recommended) before you turn on the rice cooker or heat it up in the pot on the oven. Hope it will come out good, guys !!

To add to the ongoing rice saga...

I made Spam musubi tonight, and it was the first time I tried the "new" method. I cut back on the ratio from 2:1 to 1.25:1. The rice was good, but no good for Spam musubi. It wasn't as sticky as I would've liked.

Still ono, though. I'll know better next time.

(Too bad I couldn't get in touch with my sister. The last time either of us had Spam musubi was about 10 years ago. I was going to share with her, but.... She's lost in college land. Her loss! More for me!)
    ~'Ailina

I use a rice cooker, put in the rice(still wash it b/c it's what I grew up doing), put my hand flat down on top of the rice and pour in water up to the level of my knuckles. Different but my mom showed me how(learned from my Japanese auntie) and it works. I use short grain 'Nishiki' rice, sometimes basmati if I'm eating Indian food.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
    I use a rice cooker, put in the rice(still wash it b/c it's what I grew up doing), put my hand flat down on top of the rice and pour in water up to the level of my knuckles. Different but my mom showed me how(learned from my Japanese auntie) and it works. I use short grain 'Nishiki' rice, sometimes basmati if I'm eating Indian food.
    I used to use da knuckle method too, but moa betta you go use one measuring cup and foa every cup of rice, use 2 cups water. Afta da first time you do dis, den you can adjust da water if you like moa sticky kine rice. Part of da trick is dakine rice you use. Calrose is medium grain and basmati is long grain. If you really like extra sticky rice, go use arborio or sushi rice (short graim).

Miulang

I usually use the short grain/sushi rice to make my stiky rice. Otherwise, if I don't have short grain rice, I just mix a handful or two with the long grain rice that I usually eat. And I like to use my good ole pot for cooking the rice. When they make rice cookers that can make crunchy rice chips as well then I'll use the rice cooker.

crunchy chips?? what do u mean?

Cool Re: How do YOU make sticky rice?

Making Sticky rice is easy you need the correct type of rice.

Thai sticky rice (also known as "sweet rice" or "glutinous rice")

What you do is you measure out a cup of rice. and get a bowl
    and put the rice in the bowl.

You First need to Wash the Rice as often you will find Rat Dropping and such
    in there. And it will mess up your batch if you cook that crap in there.

So Take your bowl and put it in the sink and fill it up with water and keep the water running and the crap will come up to the top and go over the bowl
    you can also run it through your hands to be sure it is clean.

When It looks like you have some clean rice take the bowl out and let it sit.
    Most Thais will let it sit over night this makes for very soft and mushie sticky rice. I am in more favor of Lao style with a bit firmer rice so I Only soak mine for an hour or so.

Next you need the proper Sticky Rice Equipment. Thai Metal Steam cooker pot. This looks like a pot that has been squeezed near the top and then opens up like a funnel on top. Check your Thai/Lao Shop.

And you will need a Thai Bamboo Cooking Basket.

Boil your water then.
    you put the Basket on the cooking pot then add the sticky rice.

the rice will steam and you lift up the basket and flip the rice.
    it will roll into a ball in the basket. Flip and use a wooden spoon to break the ball and roll it up again.

when it looks cooked take the basket off.
    and you need to get the steam out of the sticky rice.

So I use an old Thai Sticky rice bag. and put my rice ball on it from the
    basket. And spread the rice out to get the steam out.

The put the rice into your sticky rice storing basket. This is a small bamboo basket with a lid and a carry string.

Now you have some real sticky rice that even a Thai would be impressed with.

now all you need is some bakung to dip your rice in and eat.

I learned how to make sticky rice from my ex-wife from Laos.
    She was born in Laos and grew up there. I did not learn from
    some American Cook Book.

Peace.
    cgfx

I wen grow up wit da index fingah method; my maddah always wen wash da rice first, den soak um foah about 30 minutes. Now, I mebbe wash um chree times if dat an soak if I get time.

If I going be in da kitchen foah watch um, den I used 2:1 watah to rice. Bring to boil, den keep cooking till almost all da watah gone. Den turn off da heat, cover da pot, and cook foah about 20 minutes. Dat's it.

If I no can stay in da kitchen, den I use da rice cookah, litto moah watah den da line says.

I been buying NikoNiko rice... seems to come good every time.

All dat said, I find dat cooking on da stove I like da rice bettah. Has bettah texture dat I like. So if I can stay in da kitchen, dat's how I like cook um.
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Quote Originally Posted by cgfx
    You First need to Wash the Rice as often you will find Rat Dropping and such
    in there. And it will mess up your batch if you cook that crap in there.

cgfx
    Uhmm ... thanks, but I had a big lunch ...

(sidling toward the door)

Wow I never thought making rice was a science lol.

Eh da rat droppings gives the rice texture! Like Furikake!