Sum people no more aloha nowadayz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sum people no more aloha nowadayz

^ I read the article as well, a while back. It's so sad.
    I can't stand seeing kids being so disrespectful to their parents.. little do they know they're just going to regret it later on.

Comment

On the topic of no mo Aloha nowadays. I live away from Hawaii. I returned a couple of years ago to attend my father's funeral. He was buried on Hawaii. I arrived Honolulu and was waiting for a flight to the Big Island when I noticed this couple standing in line as the first ones. The flight was full. I waited because I was flying alone and wanted all these people rushing on the flight to get their seat.
      What bother me. I got on as the second to the last passenger. I took a seat between a married couple. A hawaiian man and his Filipino wife. They had decided to split up. She sitting by the window and he sat on the aisle. She was pissed off at me for sitting between them. I was nice and said Hi to both of them. During the flight I knew she was irritated and so was her husband. Making loud sigh's and talking loud over me.
      He told her in Hawaiian that he was going to the bathroom. Real loud like. When he got back, she also spoke hawaiian. Saying that I could have found another seat and I had no respect.
      Well, My dad taught us to speak Hawaiian. But he never taught us how to be so disrespectful. If they wanted to sit next to each other or had a problem with me being between them, they should have said so.
      I called the flight attendant Troy and asked for another seat, but the plane was full. In hawaiian I told these rude people that no Pilikia, I'll give up my seat for them to be together but as a Hawaiian myself, they made me sick.
      Don't assume that all people are ignorant to what you're saying.
      It doesn't matter what ethnic background you are from, respect should be part of all cultures.

Comment

Originally posted by aleno
        In hawaiian I told these rude people that no Pilikia, I'll give up my seat for them to be together but as a Hawaiian myself, they made me sick. Don't assume that all people are ignorant to what you're saying. It doesn't matter what ethnic background you are from, respect should be part of all cultures.
        My Mom and her filipino friends used to speak in ilocano (sp) at work infront of a haole. That continued for days until the haole got mad and bursted "if you guys are saying bad things about me, then just say it". She thought that they were talking stink about her, but my Mom and her friends were talking about their family back at the Philippines.

Some people are very paranoid these days.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
          She thought that they were talking stink about her, but my Mom and her friends were talking about their family back at the Philippines. Some people are very paranoid these days.
          Paranoid, sure, but provided there isn't anything objectionable being said, and this nearby haole is someone with whom they're on good terms and already speak English otherwise, it's not exactly polite to exclude her from the conversation so blatantly.

If the environment was the service industry (i.e. the haole was a customer), it's especially bad form. I'm all for the preservation and perpetuation of native tongues, but if you're being paid to provide service to English speaking customers, speak English. Hotel workers know better than to chit chat in their native tongues around guests, even if the conversation is completely innocuous, simply because it makes them uncomfortable.

Besides, as aleno's story proves, you can't always presume someone nearby can't understand what you're saying. I used to work at an international trade comany with a local haole from Kauai. He studied Japanese, married a Japanese woman, and spoke it fluently. I look Japanese, but don't speak the language at all. So, when we traveled to Tokyo, plenty of people would try to talk to me instead of him, or even try to talk about him behind his back... and it was he who later had to do the translating for me. Fortunately, he found it funny more than offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
            Some people are very paranoid these days.
            wel, they are hypersensitive. and they en masse, blindly, mindlessly, jump on the band wagon of calling everything in the world: "Politically incorrect".
            ...hey don't call females "girls" hey, Don't call our fighting men and women "kids".
            hey; you can't call that baseball team that name anymore.. etc. etc...

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Fortunately, he found it funny more than offensive.
            and therein (a nutshell), lies a lesson for the people of the modern world.

Comment

Wow........all the more reason i cant wait for next week to re-visit Oahu.......i believe in the adage *one mouth, two ears for a reason*, I just hope my snotty ass gay brother doesnt go shooting off his mouth somewheres cuz i may have to leave him standing there to defend himself against a big ol rack a beef!
              If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Working...
              X