This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wal-Mart War Room

Boohoo. WM had to revise its sales forecasts for Black Friday wayyyy down, which could impact their stock prices tomorrow. Apparently, they decided to be greedy this year and not do the same kind of deep discounting that consumers have come to expect from them. This effect may also impact their sales (and stock value) throughout the rest of the holiday season, since apparently Sears and other big box stores are deeply discounting merchandise. So go shop at Sears and get better Christmas deals this year!

Miulang

http://www.newsday.com/business/nati...ness-headlines
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Another analysis of why WM failed on Black Friday: not enough discounting on their goods and not enough selection (and perceived lower quality) of goods offered for sale. Interesting to also note that high ticket retailers were having success selling their expensive baubles and bling.

Miulang

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/29/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Ha. I guess WM isn't as arrogant or stupid as I thought they were. They just announced today that they will start having the same kinds of pre-Christmas sales that their competitors had on Friday to try to make up for their bad start; they just haven't announced what kinds of sales that they are planning.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/30/news...reut/index.htm

Miulang

Comment

It's semi official now. Bloomberg is reporting that WM may be bidding for 100 Daie locations. Daie is currently under Japanese government receivership. WM apparently is looking for the Daie locations that have large grocery components. Is that what the Hawai'i Daie locations are known for mostly?(Maui never did have a Daie...they were thinking of buying out Shirokiya, which went out of business 2 years ago but never did) In that case, those local Daie's may end up being called Seiyu, even though WM will control it. So no more real choice between WM and Daie soon.

Miulang

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...d=ayu0jGgbmDeo

Comment

If ya can't beat em, join em...
            If ya can't kill em, buy em.

Daiei has big grocery dept. here. They are a couple short blocks from Sprawlmart.

Daiei; nice to shop at. lotta cool ethnic foreign kine grocery stuffs.
            lotta Local products.

sad to see its possible demise.

Comment

I dont know what Walmart would do with the Kaheka Street location. That was once a drive-in movie theater.

However, I'm sure they would love to convert the Daiea's in Kaliua and Waipahu to Walmarts.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                I dont know what Walmart would do with the Kaheka Street location. That was once a drive-in movie theater.

KalihiBoy
                ta heck with the drive-inn;

more importantly, it was once a taro farm and village. part of a teeming lifesystem/culture of indigenous people.

before allllll the development and piratical omnivorous corporate infrastructure and accompanying two legged invaders landed here and lay waste to a beautiful land.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  uuuuh.

Why.
                  Not going to try to guess the context in which you use both uuuuuh. and why.
                  Also glad i am not petty enough to tell you how you forgot to make full sentences and use correct punctuation.
                  If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    ta heck with the drive-inn;

more importantly, it was once a taro farm and village. part of a teeming lifesystem/culture of indigenous people.

before allllll the development and piratical omnivorous corporate infrastructure and accompanying two legged invaders landed here and lay waste to a beautiful land.
                    Well cannot do nuthin about dat, yeah, except maybe get one bulldozer and go squish everything to da ground. What IS important is preserving da kine open space still get befoa da developers go put buildings on top. Maybe da 'opala problem going make da City Council adopt one "slow growth" policy dat going help keep moa buildings (and maybe moa people) from moving to Oahu.

Eh, it worked in Oregon for lido while! ("Come and visit and spend your money, but go home when you spend all your kala"). And dey still go say dat on Moloka'i. Dat's why I tink Moloka'i stay be da most "Hawaiian" of all da 'aina.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
                      Not going to try to guess the context in which you use both uuuuuh. and why.
                      Also glad i am not petty enough to tell you how you forgot to make full sentences and use correct punctuation.

eh. dass islan style. we nachurl, li dat.
                      whassammaddayou!? why you like go make fun o da kine? I spik english gud enuff fo you fo unnastand. No?
                      eef not, sorry, eh? ainokeah

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        Maybe da 'opala problem going make da City Council adopt one "slow growth" policy dat going help keep moa buildings (and maybe moa people) from moving to Oahu.
                        Miulang

Eh, your heart is in da same place mines steh.
                        But you know, sistah, dat not goin happen in our lifetime or anyone else's.
                        Cuz got too much money that can and will be made.
                        EVERYone is on the take. EVERYone will be greased.
                        eg:
                        Not only should they NOT have overdeveloped Hawaii Kai and the main roads going in, to make it resemble anodda suburb of overpopulated san fernando valley, BUT... they hadda go and build the ratrtrap antfarms no more than 5 feet from the sidewalk. Not only is this aesthetically wrong, it is illegal. fraudulent. do they care? no. they are slowly destroying our quality of life.
                        Da setbacks s/b 25 feet or more. WHY did this happen?!

rhetorical question. The populace can mull it over.

Comment

If da City Council no care, den you guys going get taxed up da okole for building up da infrastructure to support da kine, yeah? And maybe living conditions going get soooo bad and sooo expensive dat people going start jumping ship (watch out, Craig! Dey coming to Kea'au! ).

Would be nice if Hawai'i could return to da ahupua'a system though, yeah? Den everybody gotta take care of each other and da 'aina. But like you wen say, Kimo. Nobody cares enough to go try do something about it. Gotta take more den one or two people to pull something lidat off.

Miulang

Comment

Is the WM shooting star losing its sparkle? According to Wall Street, it is. Goldman Sachs has downgraded WM stock from "outperform" to "inline". That doesn't mean WM's going to go anywhere anytime soon, but it's an indication possibly that their arrogance is finally beginning to hurt them in the eyes of investors.

Miulang

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/08/news...reut/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                            X