Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iPod & Other Digital Music Devices

Reviving a dead thread... :P
    I got the iRiver iHP-120. It's pretty nifty. I thought of getting an iPod but likened it to the path to the Dark Side. For those who want an example, read next paragraph, those who don't, skip it.

The iPod leads to the iBook. The iBook leads to the Powerbook. The Powerbook leads to the Gx and the Gx leads to suffering. Financial suffering that is.

Anyway, start up and shutdown takes a few seconds. Start up takes a bit longer than usual because I use its database feature so I can browse by title, artist, genre and album. If I don't, I can only browse by directory. The iHP (recently renamed to H120) comes with an LCD remote (That's right, LCD and it has the same backlighting as the base unit). The supplied earbuds are crap but without it, you need the remote and its cord to listen to radio stations as the earbuds and remote have antennas. You don't have any todo's, calendars or games on the unit, but you do have digital/analog in and out ports. It can record via its built in mic or with the supplied mini boom mic. The unit also comes with a leather case. Battery life is wonderful at 10 hours. iRiver claims 16 hours and some reviews claim 10. I've been getting half power roughly into 8 hours, so I'll assume the 16 is closely accurate.

For those who are spoiled by the scroll wheel on the iPod, you will be disappointed with the iHP. Scrolling can be tedious at best. Text too, is a bit small, but designed for those in my demographic, so I don't notice it. The play and stop buttons are tiny, but you can feel and push them.

I'd recommend it to anyone (with the alteration that they should get the 40GB version) who wants a hard drive mp3 player that's not iPod.

Speaking of iPod, call me a freak but, I actually liked the touch sensitive glowing buttons that were removed from the 4th generation iPod. If they bring them back in the fifth generation, I would probably pick one up.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret
      The iPod leads to the iBook. The iBook leads to the Powerbook. The Powerbook leads to the Gx and the Gx leads to suffering. Financial suffering that is.
      Not really. Sure, Apple would love iPod users to buy into the Macintosh platform. But Apple is not forcing anyone to buy a Mac. Windows users can simply buy the iPod and use the included iTunes software to manage their music library and buy music and other audio files from the AppleStore if they so wish. No one is forcing anyone to buy into anything.

Now as many know, I own several Macs but have no iPod. I love Apple's iTunes and use it to rip and burn compilation CDs from my collection. I have never bought a single song file from the Apple store, though I have downloaded whatever free track Apple offers weekly from their iTunes store.

As I stated earlier, I do have some issues with the internal battery in the iPod as well as other music players. Like how long are these batteries to last before you have to replace them by either prying open the device and installing a non-user friendly internal battery yourself or just abandoning your expensive music player and buy something else.

That is the main reason why I have not bought an iPod or any of the other music player devices. (My 10 year old Sony walkman cassette tape player works fine and uses standard replaceable AA batteries)... Do any of the flash memory or hard drive based music players have user friendly removeable batteries? If manufactuers can build digital cameras with removeable batteries why can't the music player companies like Apple, Roxio and Sony?
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The iRiver H140 (the same as the 120 but with 40GB) won PC Magazine's Editor's Choice award, I think one of the first times a non-iPod led the portable music player category (though they still love the iPod, PC-centric as they are). Then again, their head-to-head review was done just before Apple released their new version (see the Editor's Note), which improved the interface, battery life and price.

Your iRiver also got a four-star review from PC World. So... clearly good choice if you don't want an iPod.

One thing that I find interesting... it seems if you want to compete with the iPod, you have to give up competing on price. That's surprising when everyone says you pay a premium for the iPod... but instead, it's the features that have become a deciding factor.

Other players have more bells and whistles, while the iPod still leads the space with its industrial design and ease of use.

Comment

I apologize for my miscommunication. I wrote that without giving a short bio on myself.

I am a gadget freak. Out of my friends, I am the one who has to "get it all". When I meant that the iPod will lead me to the dark side, I wanted to convey that the cool factor will get me to buy more Mac products. The reason why I haven't given in yet is that my financial status can't afford to support me in my GFA (gadget freak addiction) situation if I were to get into Macs. Why? Because I'm going to want all the good stuff. I don't see Apple trying to force people to buy Mac products, I see the coolness of the Mac line to be an addiction I want to avoid until I can actually afford to be addicted.

So, pardon the confusion.

Originally posted by mel
          Not really. Sure, Apple would love iPod users to buy into the Macintosh platform. But Apple is not forcing anyone to buy a Mac. Windows users can simply buy the iPod and use the included iTunes software to manage their music library and buy music and other audio files from the AppleStore if they so wish. No one is forcing anyone to buy into anything.

Now as many know, I own several Macs but have no iPod. I love Apple's iTunes and use it to rip and burn compilation CDs from my collection. I have never bought a single song file from the Apple store, though I have downloaded whatever free track Apple offers weekly from their iTunes store.

As I stated earlier, I do have some issues with the internal battery in the iPod as well as other music players. Like how long are these batteries to last before you have to replace them by either prying open the device and installing a non-user friendly internal battery yourself or just abandoning your expensive music player and buy something else.

That is the main reason why I have not bought an iPod or any of the other music player devices. (My 10 year old Sony walkman cassette tape player works fine and uses standard replaceable AA batteries)... Do any of the flash memory or hard drive based music players have user friendly removeable batteries? If manufactuers can build digital cameras with removeable batteries why can't the music player companies like Apple, Roxio and Sony?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            ... while the iPod still leads the space with its industrial design and ease of use.
            This, I cannot agree more. Although the iRiver does look pretty cool, the simplistic, sleek and clean look of the iPod is stunning.

And as for the rating, that's one reason I bought the iRiver. Bells and whistles? That's the other reason I got the iRiver. Not that I use the radio receiver much... or the digital in/out but it's there if I need it. <- my typical gadget freak excuse.

Comment

Re: iPod &amp; Other Digital Music Devices

Does the iRiver have the same kind of internal battery built in or does it have a removeable, rechargeable battery? Do any of the digital music devices have this?
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                Does the iRiver have the same kind of internal battery built in or does it have a removeable, rechargeable battery? Do any of the digital music devices have this?
                I think the iPod is the only one with an internal battery. But with the iPod, you save money on having to buy more batteries, or throw away worn out rechargables.

And I know no one who'll use up the 3rd gen's 8 hours of battery life.

BTW Mel, are you still looking for an MP3 player? Apple's 4th gen iPod is better, and IMHO, it beats the competition (again). (sorry if this was already posted, as I'm too tired to go back and check).
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Apple announced today that they are selling 3 new models of iPods with bigger drives. The 4-Gb model price has been reduced to $199, and a new 6-Gb model will sell for $249.

There's also a 30-Gb iPod photo unit that will sell for $349 and a 60-Gb model (that can hold up to 15,000 songs) for $449. Both iPod photo units can hold up to 25,000 photos.

You could carry your whole musical and photographic life on one of those iPod photo units!

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

An MP3 player with a long battery life and big memory?

My 10gb 3rd gen iPod just died out on me while was asleep on the bus coming from school today, and that was the second time this month. Its almost 2 years old, so I guess its time to move forward and get an new MP3 player.

I want these features:
                    - be able to hold my 2gb of music, and store files
                    - Either a long lasting rechargable battery, or one that can use AA batteries if I need to
                    - Be able to make playlists w/out a computer (on the fly playlists)
                    - Good sound
                    - User friendly

If it wasn't for the battery option, then I'd get myself another iPod, but I want to keep my options open so that I can get the best for my money.

I'm completely broke right now, so it'll be purchased within 4 months to a year (most likely, on my bday, which is in sept).

Mahalo for your suggestions in advance!

Comment

Re: An MP3 player with a long battery life and big memory?

I bought a ipod mini, they should call it G-pod for GARBAGE.

Get a zen micro 5GB! They have them at wal mart for $199 here.

5 gigs
                      AM/FM tuner BUILT IN!
                      VOICE RECORDER built in..
                      You can replace the battery without having to take
                      your mp3 player apart

Zen Micro 5gb is smaller, sounds 10x better, and is more
                      user friendly than the ipod.

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...&product=10795

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3377723

Hope that helps!
                      http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy
                        <snip>
                        AM/FM tuner BUILT IN!
                        </snip>
                        AM?
                        What dat?

Comment

You want extended battery life? How about a 10-year nuclear battery?

Comment

AM: Ancient Media...

In the Military the flightline guys used to call us techies who fixed the electronic boxes (LRU's) their boots broke...FM or F*@kin Magicians.

Pretty soon FM will be a "What dat" when this concept becomes reality: Personally customized Internet Online MP3 songlists accessable thru encrypted Satellite broadcasts. That way who cares how big your Ipod's HD is. Plus you can share with others thru an open channel.

Remember...you heard this concept first right here! Or am I sadly mistaken and missed the boat again
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              You want extended battery life? How about a 10-year nuclear battery?
                              Dilithium Crystals: Available thru Scotty if he's not shoving them down the reactor cores of the USS Enterprise.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Having a built in tuner would be nicer if all Hawaii radio (with the possible exception KTUH) didn't suck ass.
                                I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
                                X