Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chinky Mahoe

I did too.
    Thanks for the contact info, Anapuni808. And thanks for the heads up about that event, Frankie.

In my post #81 above, I should have added this:

Castle Foundation:
    http://www.castlefoundation.org/

H. Mitchell D'Olier, President and CEO
    Email: mitch@castlefoundation.org
    Phone: 808-263-8911

Bio:
    H. Mitchell "Mitch" D’Olier has been a Director of the Harold K.L. Castle Foundation since 1994 and was elected President and Chief Executive Officer of the Foundation in July 2002. He was previously President and Chief Executive Officer of Victoria Ward, Limited. Prior to that, Mitch was President and Chief Operating Officer of Hawaiian Airlines, Inc. and its related companies. Prior to joining Hawaiian, he was a partner in the Honolulu law firm Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel, which he joined as an associate in February 1972.
    Mitch is a member and past chair of the Hawaii Business Roundtable; member and past president of the Rotary Club of Honolulu; member of the Board of Advisors and past president of the Boys and Girls Club of Hawaii; and a director of various community organizations.
    Mitch and his wife, Bambi, moved to Hawaii from Iowa in 1972. They have three sons.

He is also President and CEO of Kaneohe Ranch, http://www.kaneoheranch.com/ , the sister company of the Castle Foundation.

That's who I wrote to about the Kailua event. He has kids of his own and is involved in kids organizations, so I reminded him of that.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      I did too.
      Thanks for the contact info, Anapuni808. And thanks for the heads up about that event, Frankie.

In my post #81 above, I should have added this:

Castle Foundation:
      http://www.castlefoundation.org/

H. Mitchell D'Olier, President and CEO
      Email: mitch@castlefoundation.org
      Phone: 808-263-8911

Bio:
      H. Mitchell "Mitch" D’Olier has been a Director of the Harold K.L. Castle Foundation since 1994 and was elected President and Chief Executive Officer of the Foundation in July 2002. He was previously President and Chief Executive Officer of Victoria Ward, Limited. Prior to that, Mitch was President and Chief Operating Officer of Hawaiian Airlines, Inc. and its related companies. Prior to joining Hawaiian, he was a partner in the Honolulu law firm Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel, which he joined as an associate in February 1972.
      Mitch is a member and past chair of the Hawaii Business Roundtable; member and past president of the Rotary Club of Honolulu; member of the Board of Advisors and past president of the Boys and Girls Club of Hawaii; and a director of various community organizations.
      Mitch and his wife, Bambi, moved to Hawaii from Iowa in 1972. They have three sons.

He is also President and CEO of Kaneohe Ranch, http://www.kaneoheranch.com/ , the sister company of the Castle Foundation.

That's who I wrote to about the Kailua event. He has kids of his own and is involved in kids organizations, so I reminded him of that.
      He also attends First Presbyterian Church of Honolulu.

Comment

http://www.childluresprevention.com/...f-Molester.pdf
        A Profile of a Child Molester reports:

How many child molesters live in the United States?
        Approximately 400,000 convicted pedophiles currently reside in the United States, according to Department of Justice estimates.

How many victims does a child molester average?
        Male offenders who abused girls had an average of 52 victims each.
        Men who molested boys had an astonishing average of 150 victims each.
        Only 3% of these crimes had ever been detected.

Wouldn’t a vigilant parent be able to detect a child molester, just by their actions?
        Not necessarily. Remember, sex offenders who prey on children:
        Are notoriously friendly, nice, kind, engaging and likeable.
        Target their victims, often insinuating themselves into that child’s life - their family, school, house of worship, sports, and hobbies.
        Are professional con artists and are expert at getting children and families to trust them.
        Will smile at you, look you right in the eye and make you believe they are trustworthy.

I pose the questions: does a vigilant part allow their child to be in close contact with a convicted child molester? What does it say about the common sense of a parent who would? Is it reasonable for a parent to "forgive" a molester at the jeopardy of the safety of their child?
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I think it is commendable for all of you to write messages of concern to Mr. San Nicholas about Chinky Mahoe's background. But there's a good chance he may already be aware of Mahoe's status as a sex offender. I mean, if San Nicholas was a friend of Uncle George and a part of that social circle, how could he not know this, right?

San Nicholas and other kumus probably know about Mahoe's background. But I wonder if the parents of keiki hula dancers on the mainland are aware of this? Maybe not. It's been about a dozen years since he was convicted. People in Hawaii still remember and talk about it. But on the mainland, it's a different story, no? And if these parents had no interest in hula during the 1990s, what are the chances that they were keeping up with the news surrounding Mahoe back then?
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Hmm I thought convicted sex offenders of his nature aren't allowed a whisper near children.

Also, are these lifetime bans? Just wondering. Is this a rehabilitateable (if there is such a word) disease?

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
              Is this a rehabilitateable (if there is such a word) disease?
              While looking for info on that, I found this interesting perspective on what we should be concentrating on when we educate our children about “who” to be “care of”. It is not the stranger that is the most danger … it is someone who is close to the family.
              http://www.childmolestationpreventio...the_facts.html
              Which Children Do Child Molesters Target?

CHILDREN IN THE FAMILY
              Biological Child
              19%
              Stepchild, Adopted or Foster Child
              30%
              Brothers & Sisters
              12%
              Nieces & Nephews
              18%
              Grandchild
              5%
              CHILDREN IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
              Child Left in My Care
              5%
              Child of Friend or Neighbor
              40%
              CHILDREN WHO ARE STRANGERS
              Child Strangers
              10%

Notice that only 10 percent of the child sexual abusers report that they molest a child who is a stranger. That means 90% of molesters are targeting their own family members, children of friends or neighbors, or children that are in their care (such as the molester being a babysitter or holding a mentoring position of teacher, youth leader, religious leader, etc).

To save the greatest number of children in the shortest possible time, we must turn the current focus of our efforts upside down. Right now, 90 percent of our efforts go toward protecting our children from strangers, when what we need to do is to focus 90 percent of our efforts toward protecting children from the abusers who are not strangers - the molesters in their families and the molesters who are the friends of their families.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                But I wonder if the parents of keiki hula dancers on the mainland are aware of this? Maybe not.
                I can't speak for everywhere on the Mainland, but my contacts through the Pacific NW hula community are still very aware of his history.

Comment

would that knowledge also extend to California? why in the world would his very serious crimes just be ignored? molesting a child is not something to just be swept under the hula rug and ignored.

Supposedly he is a talented kumu hula. But still - he is a convicted sexual predator, against children. WHY choose him to be a judge of a keiki hula competition? Aren't there any other kumu's who ARE NOT child molestors?

Shortly after his conviction, he showed up at the grand opening of a restaurant in our building - apparently he & the owner were good friends. I was so disgusted just looking at him smiling at everyone that I totally lost my appetite. I don't think I ever ate in that restaurant the short time they were in the building.
                  Last edited by anapuni808; June 13, 2010, 08:51 PM.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

FYI...A Special Report: Oprah and a No-Holds-Barred Conversation with Child Molesters

This is a repeat from a few months ago and will air today.

Comment

• Re: Kinky Chinky Mahoe

* bump *

Kinky Chinky had his halau in the Merrie Monarch festival that ended last night.
                      Clearly there are still crazy parents out there who trust a convicted child molester.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: Chinky Mahoe

Hmm I thought convicted sex offenders of his nature aren't allowed a whisper near children.

Also, are these lifetime bans? Just wondering. Is this a rehabilitateable (if there is such a word) disease?
                        well if that's the case here, then there's something we're missing in our judgement of Chinky.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Is this a rehabilitateable (if there is such a word) disease?
                          Not sure that any of us here on HT are "experts" in that field, but the general consensus of protective workers is that, whether molesters can be rehabilitated or not, the potential risk to children outweighs any rights of possibly "cured" past offenders. In other words, err on the side of the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Not sure that any of us here on HT are "experts" in that field, but the general consensus of protective workers is that, whether molesters can be rehabilitated or not, the potential risk to children outweighs any rights of possibly "cured" past offenders. In other words, err on the side of the children.
                            Then why do we have prison terms for them? If once convicted of this crime with the question of being able to be rehabilitated, then we should just take the reasoning that once a molester, always a molester and lock them up for good with no chance of parole if the potential risk outweighs any rights.

I do believe people can be rehabilitated. That's why Lady Liberty is blindfolded so the laws of justice can be administered without prejudice.

Rehabilitated also should mean "cured" but our laws dictate that even if cured, you will still be judged over and over again by society. If society deems that person should never be seen with a child even after being rehabilitated, then we have condemned that person forever despite being rehabilitated. Once rehabilitated, their lives should be redeemed and allowed the freedoms society has to offer.

You have done your time, you are free to go. But are you really free? Not to those who subjectively judge you after the fact. We really are a cruel world to those who make mistakes in life and will not be allowed to be forgiven.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              We really are a cruel world to those who make mistakes in life and will not be allowed to be forgiven.
                              Should a convicted child molester be "Forgiven" ... perhaps a possiblity. Should a convicted child molester be "Trusted" with children ... NEVER AGAIN!

Craig, I am truly relieved that you are not the person in charge of the criminal system, that you are not the gatekeeper who stands between a child molester and children! I want someone in charge who puts a child's welfare above the molester's welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                I do believe people can be rehabilitated. That's why Lady Liberty is blindfolded so the laws of justice can be administered without prejudice...We really are a cruel world to those who make mistakes in life and will not be allowed to be forgiven.
                                I share that sentiment with you, CW. However, as I noted before:
                                Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                ... the potential risk to children outweighs any rights of possibly "cured" past offenders.
                                I strongly am in favor of restoration of rights to those who have "served their time," "paid their debt to society," "shown themselves to be capable of re-entering society," etc. etc. etc. But, in many real-world cases, the rights of the rehabilitated individual are in conflict with the rights of victims, and yes, even potential victims.

Do I insist that all released felons be treated fairly and equally? In cases of potential harm to children, I would say "no."

Comment

Working...
                                X