Chinky Mahoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chinky Mahoe

I find the legal questions brought up by Craig to be a fascinating perspective, worthy of debate and conversation.
    Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Relevant to you, maybe. To me, mehh!
    That's fair. So, why don't you stick to your limited interests, and others of us will discuss the topic in whatever direction it takes, no matter how much the minutiae of a legal issue bores you, 'kay?

Comment

if he, for examle, had robbed a bank - yes, serve his sentence and everyone could move on. but......he molested young boys.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

For those -- past, present and future readers -- who come to this thread titled "Chinky Mahoe" in order to learn about, you know, Chinky Mahoe's multiple child molestation convictions and who want to help protect all our local children, you may have to skip over some 'thread drift' posts but we'll constantly remind you of the facts:
        • First, his full name is Howell K. “Chinky” Mahoe, Jr.
        • Mahoe pleaded no contest in September 1998 to five felony counts of third-degree sexual assault and one misdemeanor count of fourth-degree sexual assault.
        • The state originally indicted him in May 1998, alleging he fondled each boy -- age 9 through 14 -- on separate occasions from a couple of months to more than a year between 1994 and 1996.
        • Mahoe was free after posting $25,250 bail. Bail conditions required that he can be around children only if another adult is present.
        • After the trial, his "punishment" was five years' probation and 500 hours of community service. At least one adult must always be present when Mahoe is around children during his probation.
        • Hawaii Sex Offender Registry http://pahoehoe.ehawaii.gov/sexoff/
        • Chinky’s page is http://sexoffenders.ehawaii.gov/sexo...,A0109123.html . Note that even though his probation apparently expired in 2003, the Sex Offender department is staying on top of him; they made him come in, updated his entire record, and took a new photo of him for his sex offender page just 7 months ago!
        • Go to http://www.courts.state.hi.us/legal_...t_records.html , then click on Ho`ohiki. Once you enter that site you can enter a search for Howell Mahoe (Chinky's legal name) or search under Case ID number 1PC97-0-001219 and from there you can click on Court Minutes and read the official minutes from each appearance on the case, including the conviction and the sentencing. You can also see the original six charges, the Documents list, and more.
        • If you dig deep enough into the court minutes texts, there’s one spot dated 8/24/98 where the court ordered Chinky Mahoe to pay restituation to one family for their child’s medical expenses!!!
        • Perhaps most importantly, go to http://sexoffenders.ehawaii.gov/sexo...109123__QA.pdf . This is a PDF of the official document from the Hawaii First Circuit Court. Especially note the TITLE of the document: JUDGEMENT… GUILTY CONVICTION and probation sentence… Notice Of Entry.

Ultimate proof that the court found Chinky GUILTY, and proof that he will remain updated on the Sex Offender List.
        Therefore, many of us will CONTINUE to complain about him to any and all who will listen and/or who hire him.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          I find the legal questions brought up by Craig to be a fascinating perspective, worthy of debate and conversation.That's fair. So, why don't you stick to your limited interests, and others of us will discuss the topic in whatever direction it takes, no matter how much the minutiae of a legal issue bores you, 'kay?
          This is not a matter of me being bored. To the contrary, I am very much concerned with the activities of Chinky Mahoe. Lika Nui is right about not letting this thread drift away from what really matters. Like it or not, I will not silently stand by whenever my BS and red herring detector goes off.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Like it or not, I will not silently stand by whenever my BS and red herring detector goes off.
            Goody for us all. Glad to know our discussions will be closely monitored by Princess Value-Decider & Queen Thread-Drift. I feel so much safer now. (Oop! I smell BS coming from my computer - better call the Board Cops in to tell us what's important and what's not, 'cause we sure can't protect ourselves!)

Comment

I agree that the judicial debates are worthy and important, just not here.

This thread we're in now is in the HT section called "Na Kanaka - People - Celebrities, performers, and artists, famous and infamous."

Judicial discussions clearly belong in the entirely different section called "Hawaii Hall - Government - Politics, policy, and politicians." It's located at this link and there are 528 different threads there.

Personally I wouldn't care all that much, as thread drift happens almost daily. It's just that in this particular case we're trying to protect children from a convicted child molester, and there's nothing more serious than that.

Intentionally causing thread drift (and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular) is clearly inappropriate in this particular case. That's all.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Hawaii Threads has one administrator and two authorized moderators.

The rest of us participating have NO power to make demands as to what is and is not appropriate material for discussion. We are, however, entitled to express our opinions, beliefs, values, thoughts, interests, concerns, etc., with each poster's viewpoints being equal to each other. No more, no less.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why do you think your internal "BS and red herring detector" gives your opinions any more value than those of any other poster, Frankie's Market?

This thread is clearly about one particular public figure, his history, his criminal record. Anything related to that topic seems to be appropriate for posting ... in my opinion as well as that of some others. That's all it is - my opinion.

I personally feel that craigwatanabe's questions are relevant and thought-provoking (whether or not I am in agreement with them). The legal details discussed provide clarity and factual information as to Mr. Mahoe's interactions with the judicial system. Said facts can help others who are curious about his case to be better informed - rather than merely depending upon emotionally-tinged opinionated postings.

What is it about facts that you fear, LikaNui?

Comment

Why do you think your internal "BS and red herring detector" gives your opinions any more value than those of any other poster, Frankie's Market?
                  I never once said that my opinions carried "any more value" that others. I just said that whenever someone is spouting what I think is BS and dubious,.... I will call it as I see it. Of course, when I disagree with an individual, I'll try to be as courteous as I can. But in my book, courtesy does not mean being in universal agreement with what another person has to say. And it certainly doesn't mean forcing myself to mute contrary viewpoints.

You or anyone else here, of course, can respond and disagree with whatever I have to say.

But darn it if anyone thinks that I will be silenced on the matter.

Hawaii Threads has one administrator and two authorized moderators.

The rest of us participating have NO power to make demands as to what is and is not appropriate material for discussion. We are, however, entitled to express our opinions, beliefs, values, thoughts, interests, concerns, etc., with each poster's viewpoints being equal to each other. No more, no less.
                  Absolutely. So no one should be telling others to stick to only certain topics and, in effect, staying out of others, right?

So, why don't you stick to your limited interests, and others of us will discuss the topic in whatever direction it takes, no matter how much the minutiae of a legal issue bores you, 'kay?
                  Opps!!!
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 16, 2011, 10:08 AM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• RELEVANT judicial discussion

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    I agree that the judicial debates are worthy and important, just not here.

This thread we're in now is in the HT section called "Na Kanaka - People - Celebrities, performers, and artists, famous and infamous."

Judicial discussions clearly belong in the entirely different section called "Hawaii Hall - Government - Politics, policy, and politicians." It's located at this link and there are 528 different threads there.
                    You're entitled to your opinion and preference, but I must disagree. I would never have become embroiled in this debate were it not for the placement and title. I would not have sought it at Hawaii Hall, I would not have learned all I've learned (for which I owe you profuse thanks).

I think the 'thread drift' to which you allude is merely your attempt to control the discussion to meet your standards. All we have discussed is relevant to the perpetrator, and therefore 'on topic.' Perhaps I missed some drivel that was NOT about Chinky Mahoe, but CM is the topic title, and that gives us a wide latitude for discussion.

If you want a discussion to be limited to his conviction and record, I recommend you start one and set the tone in the title and the OP. In the meantime, this thread is about Chinky Mahoe. Period.

And, FWIW, your comments, recitation of his record, etc., through tiresomely redundant, is certainly relevant, IMHO.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      And, FWIW, your comments, recitation of his record, etc., through tiresomely redundant, is certainly relevant, IMHO.
                      Thank you, Kaonohi, your entire post says it well (and in words that are not mine, to the joy of others here).

In the midst of all this, I must give some credit to LikaNui for even bringing this matter up on a regular basis. Had it not been for his postings more than six years ago, I may not have been at all aware of Mr. Mahoe's history.

While I have been educated by his efforts, I suspect he has also been so by mine - particularly earlier in this thread (starting at post #55). I notice he no longer uses the words "admitted" or "confessed" in the conversation. I hope that means that he learned something from my earlier attempts to clarify legal facts in the case.

At that time (until post #69), he had no problem with discussing and debating legal specifics. When he later decided such a discussion became "thread drift," I cannot say.

Opps!!!
                      It appears that your computer does not effectively read the sarcasm font.

Comment

It appears that your computer does not effectively read the sarcasm font.
                        Ah. So you've set my understanding straight on that.

Of course, when it comes to talk about convicted sex offenders, I view the matter as being very serious. Whenever anyone injects humor, sarcasm, double entendres, and the like into such discussion, it definitely triggers a response from me that is quite different than if it was a casual conversation about the weather, sports, etc.

But that's just me. A person who is very humorless when it comes to the topic of sexual abuse,.... esp. when it involves children. And I make no apology for that. If anyone wants to discuss it in a more glib and light-hearted manner, that's certainly up to them.

Comment

Lika Nui is right about not letting this thread drift away from what really matters.
                          And as we see from the above posts, yet another case of someone who is incapable of following the advice they wish to impose on others. Thanks for playing, FM.

Sorry, all - it's clear that both FM & I have trouble letting others have the last word on something. Seeing as how he will likely respond to this post, I am happy to grant it to him this time.
                          Last edited by Leo Lakio; May 16, 2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

And as we see from the above posts, yet another case of someone who is incapable of following the advice they wish to impose on others. Thanks for playing, FM.
                            Thanks for playing. Yes, to you, this is just a game. *sigh!*

Sorry, all - it's clear that both FM & I have trouble letting others have the last word on something. Seeing as how he will likely respond to this post, I am happy to grant it to him this time.
                            When it comes to the topic of sexual offenders and the dangers they pose to society,... on this particular subject, I will go on and on and on. And it doesn't matter a whit to me what you or anyone else thinks about that. When it comes to the wellbeing of youths, the stakes are too high for me to be concerned with that kind of pettiness.

Misconceptions, misplaced sympathies, apologist agendas for sex offenders masquerading as thoughtful philosophical/legal arguments,.... all that and more, I will continue calling it out as I see them when applied to Chinky Mahoe and any other sex offender.

Comment

• Re: Chinky Mahoe- CONVICTED Pedophile

Lika Nui is right about not letting this thread drift away from what really matters.
                              Come ON, Frankie! What matters? EVERYTHING matters!
                              1. His illegal actions and child abuse.
                              2. His conviction.
                              3. The perception of the community.
                              4. His NC plea (which can help us understand and counter his strategies).
                              5. His continuation to work with young children, which IMNSHO, he should NOT!

The way to defeat an enemy is to understand his smallest intentions.

If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril.
                              Sun Tzu

Frankly, (nothing personal intended), IF he were, as he contends, 'rehabilitated,' he would avoid children as a rehabilitated alcoholic avoids alcohol. Tigers cannot change their stripes; we are what we are, and although we can learn to ACT differently, it IS an act, and we are who we are.

CM may be able to continue to act. I'm NOT sending my kid there, and I would also advise others the same. He will be on the sex offender registry for life. Whether or not he commits more crimes is... of no effect on that.

You're cool, Lika; we get the message. Perhaps a permanent post is in order? Or even better, a way to educate the hula community?

CM can be just as effective teaching adults. He doesn't need to target victims.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                [...]
                                [...]
                                I would find it a classic pain in the okole to have to toggle back and forth between this thread and one in Hawaii Hall to peruse the much bigger picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X