Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chinky Mahoe

Originally posted by lurkah
    So sorry for what happened to you, Auntie, but I no think nuff has been said yet regarding Chinky.

Since the hula community seems to have accepted him back into the fold, I think the least Chinky should have done, for the integrity of his halau and supporters and to show that he had any measure of being worthy of forgiveness, would've been for him to step down and assign an alaka'i to replace himself to be the new "face" and spokesperson for his halau with Chinky voluntarily forgoing any celebrity he might have had in the past as a token of humility and atonement, and especially as some kind of acknowledgement towards the atrocious crime that he committed.

Instead, there he is in all his glory — as if nothing happened.
    Auntie, I'm also sorry for what happened to you. We had a similar situation in my family, and I saw firsthand how it can tear someone and a whole family apart.

While I don't quite agree with Chinky stepping down, I do feel that he should have made some public acknowledgement of what he did.

Despite him standing there with the awards though...it's been said that the worst form of punishment is guilt in knowing what you have done.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

So sorry for what happened to you, Auntie, but I no think nuff has been said yet regarding Chinky.

Since the hula community seems to have accepted him back into the fold, I think the least Chinky should have done, for the integrity of his halau and supporters and to show that he had any measure of being worthy of forgiveness, would've been for him to step down and assign an alaka'i to replace himself to be the new "face" and spokesperson for his halau with Chinky voluntarily forgoing any celebrity he might have had in the past as a token of humility and atonement, and especially as some kind of acknowledgement towards the atrocious crime that he committed.

Instead, there he is in all his glory — as if nothing happened.
      Dear Lurkah, I totally agree with you. I ment Nuff said on my part on what happened to me when I was molested. The truma, pain and deep scars lasts a lifetime. It is imbedded into the mind of a child. Although it may not seem to show - it can lay dormant. Years after the signs will show as the damage did in me.

I, too am outraged regarding Chinky Mahoe. I am outraged everytime another child is molested, raped and/or murdered by someone. I am "crazed" with anger when someone gets "away" with it especially by a Judicial System that supposed to be protecting the rights of our children who can not speak for themselves.

It has nothing to do with Ethnic, Religion, Gender, or what a person does. It is a violation of a worse kind. A violation of one's body. In this case, a violation of innocent bodies and knowingly a trust which was broken in the highest regard.

If we should be talking about Religion. Yes, Mr. Mahoe's final Judge shall be the Man himself. He shall be facing God face to face upon his death. At that time he shall be delt with the most highest of punishment of God.

God's worst punishment is for those who harm his children.

Auntie Alyn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; April 23, 2006, 01:19 AM. Reason: neva know how foa spell crazed - used to spelling pUpUle
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        Chinky Mahoe got 5 years probation and some community service. Assuming he hasn't done anything to violate that probation and has done the community service, he has paid the debt to society that he was told to pay.
        Sorry Helen, but when it comes to harming innocent children, then that 'debt to society' simply can never be paid in full.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Merrie Monarch 2006

Originally posted by kamuelakea
          Mahalo Circuit Judge Wilfred Watanabe. Is child molestation acceptable in the Japanese culture as well?
          By injecting racial/ethnic comments, you're going to lose support for what is otherwise your admirable position against Kinky Chinky. Just a word to the wise.

Comment

It seemed to me that the judges were able to separate the personal from the professional while judging. I found it interesting that when all of the kumu were introduced at the end and brought up to the stage, the camera featured each kumu approaching the stage for their 5 or 10 seconds of on camera 'glory'. I did not see that happen with Chinky and it appeared to me that the director was intentionally avoiding him by cutting to other cameras. Or, did I miss something?! It was late, afterall!

Lurkah...I completely agree with you. Chinky is obviously a wonderful kumu hula. That's not even an issue, as I see it. But, out of respect for the 4 boys and their families, I too think he should back off from publicly accepting any awards or adulation and give a new face and name to his halau. If his love of hula is pure he can continue to be involved in this dance for which he has so much talent but also allow it to go in a more socially acceptable direction that doesn't include his name, face or public adulation. For some people, unfortunately, the latter is of utmost importance. I don't know if Mahoe falls into that category.

Lei Liko...I completely respect your knowledge of hula and your opinions about Chinky. You seem to be wise beyond your years. While I don't completely agree with you about this situation I do not, in the least, feel you are "part of the problem".

I , too, have family members who were molested as children. Auntie Lynn is right...it scars for life, regardless of the amount or quality of therapy that's received. Therapy helps to manage one's emotions and pain. Therapy does NOT take those emotions and pain away. Every time a perpetrator's name is mentioned or his/her face is seen, the victims are retraumatized. I feel for those 4 families right now and hope they've stayed clear of all newspapers and tv for the past few days. For them to see this man rewarded (and it makes no difference whether or not it's deserved) has got to make them feel like victims all over again.

Comment

Since the hula community seems to have accepted him back into the fold, I think the least Chinky should have done, for the integrity of his halau and supporters and to show that he had any measure of being worthy of forgiveness, would've been for him to step down and assign an alaka'i to replace himself to be the new "face" and spokesperson for his halau ...
              Lurkah, I agree.

The thing about child molesters (as with other criminals) is that the number of people they've victimized usually is far higher than the number we know about. I can't say that about Chinky, but that is generally true.

Comment

Geez, just seeing his name in the Merrie Monarch's published results really raises my hackles.

(And I didn't even know I had hackles. )

Comment

I danced for Chinky mahoe and I was a keiki up until i was a teen.
                  I have to say that it was also during the time some of these alleged
                  accusations occured. I have to say Alleged because some of these
                  kids in class either were the trouble makers or the one's who
                  tried the hardest to out do one another.
                  Now its one thing for a person to endure this and go to trial and then
                  to have a slander and harrasment in the process.
                  I have to say there is always two sides to every story.
                  I have to also say that Chinky mahoe not only was a great kumu hula
                  but taught the main things: Discipline, Honesty, Responsibility, and
                  humility through his dancing and hula.
                  I have to also say alot of these people who have to slander this man have
                  never met him in person nor got to know him on a personal level.
                  To meet and see a person at performance is one thing to have known him
                  on a the basis of a dancer or student is another. I can say those who
                  know Chinky would agree with what i say!

Comment

Originally posted by uwcollegeguy
                    I danced for Chinky mahoe and I was a keiki up until i was a teen.
                    I have to say that it was also during the time some of these alleged
                    accusations occured. I have to say Alleged because some of these
                    kids in class either were the trouble makers or the one's who
                    tried the hardest to out do one another.
                    Now its one thing for a person to endure this and go to trial and then
                    to have a slander and harrasment in the process.
                    I have to say there is always two sides to every story.
                    I have to also say that Chinky mahoe not only was a great kumu hula
                    but taught the main things: Discipline, Honesty, Responsibility, and
                    humility through his dancing and hula.
                    I have to also say alot of these people who have to slander this man have
                    never met him in person nor got to know him on a personal level.
                    To meet and see a person at performance is one thing to have known him
                    on a the basis of a dancer or student is another. I can say those who
                    know Chinky would agree with what i say!
                    I respect your experience and would guess that others here might as well. That said, please give these two points sober consideration:

1)child molesters don't usually go after every youth available. They often pick out their targets, groom them emotionally (either through positions of authority or trusted confidante) and then zero in.

Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it didn't happen to others.

2)youths being victimized, particularly at the hands of one in authority, lack the skills and the power to immediately articulate what is happening to them. Since not every case is one of violent rape, it becomes harder to sort out what happened/how it did/what did I do to cause it, etc.

Being a troublemaker is the most common form of lashing out when you are a kid being molested.

And. It. Changes. You. Forever. To top it off, there is nothing--I repeat, NOTHING--worse to have happen to a child than to have his/her experiences suspected/ridiculed/not believed.

I end this with a plea to respect others' experiences and extend empathy and compassion where it is deserved.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by uwcollegeguy
                      I have to say that it was also during the time some of these alleged accusations occured. I have to say Alleged because (...)
                      My only problem with your comments is that you keep saying the accusations are "alleged", but in reality, Chinky CONFESSED! He admitted to multiple counts of child molestation. Plain and simple. Nothing "alleged" about it.
                      Congratulations to you for not being one of Chinky's victims, and good luck to you in your endeavors.

Comment

Re: Kinky Chinky Mahoe

See convicted child molester Chinky Mahoe in the sixth photo down in John Berger's column here in today's Star Bulletin.
                        That photo should be cropped to just show Kinky Chinky and then posted all over O`ahu.
                        I fail to understand why the Makaha Sons continue to feature such a reviled pervert, who has admitted to multiple counts of the molestation of innocent children.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          in reality, Chinky CONFESSED! He admitted to multiple counts of child molestation.
                          who has admitted to multiple counts of the molestation of innocent children.
                          I thought he pled "no contest," which is not a legal admission of guilt. If that's the case, we should at least be clear about it. If not, I'm open to correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            I thought he pled "no contest," which is not a legal admission of guilt. If that's the case, we should at least be clear about it. If not, I'm open to correction.
                            You know, I had the impression that he confessed at some point as well, but thinking back, it may just be the usual presumption prompted by breathless media coverage. Notes the Star-Bulletin (as part of a child-abuse retrospective sidebar to another story):
                            Aug. 24, 1998: Hula teacher Howell "Chinky" Mahoe, 43, was sentenced to five years probation for sexually assaulting four boys, ages 9 to 14, from his dance classes. He pleaded no contest to five felony counts of third-degree sexual assault and one misdemeanor fourth-degree sexual assault charge involving incidents from 1994 to 1996.
                            No contest, or nolo contendre, "means that the defendant neither admits nor disputes the charge." One can make all the suppositions one likes, but under the law, it means nothing more or less than that.

Not that I'm defending the guy, and given that he served time, you can count me among those who think his continued participation in various events (and, in fact, those events' mind-boggling affection for him) is poor form. But one can still hold that view on the basis of facts, rather than allegations.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              No contest, or nolo contendre, "means that the defendant neither admits nor disputes the charge."
                              Right. He did not dispute the charge, and he accepted the sentence for the crime.
                              Point, set and match: convicted child molester.

given that he served time,
                              There's the rub, PZ. He did NOT "serve time" per se; he was merely given probation.
                              For multiple counts of child molestation.
                              Sometimes our legal system just plain sucks.

Comment

Right. He did not dispute the charge, and he accepted the sentence for the crime. Point, set and match: convicted child molester.
                                Convicted yes, confessed no. This column says Mahoe maintains his innocence despite the no contest plea, rather than simply accepting responsibility or -- as many have rightfully demanded -- at least expressing remorse.
                                There's the rub, PZ. He did NOT "serve time" per se; he was merely given probation. For multiple counts of child molestation. Sometimes our legal system just plain sucks.
                                Ah, quite right, and an important distinction. You'll get no argument from me on that last point. Fifteen years for identity theft, one year for killing someone while driving drunk? Yeah, that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X