Passing Mentions of Hawaii in Non-Hawaii Books, TV, Other Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passing Mentions of Hawaii in Non-Hawaii Books, TV, Other Media

I'm a bit late with this, but the October issue of National Geographic actually featured Hawaii as its cover story: "Red Hot Hawaii."

Comment

Heh. In today's Luann, they give out Aaron Hill's new Hawai'i email address, aaron@hulagirl.net. I sure hope that's not a real address; it's going to get scads of pings from curious readers.

Comment

Well, there's no website at that domain, but hulagirl.net was registered last year by Norman Stafford in La Plata, Maryland. He's going to get some interesting messages!

Comment

Not sure if you count it as a passing mention, but Sharon, Ozzy, and Jack Osbourne's Hawaii vacation aired in their MTV show recently. They stayed on Oahu. At one point, they had this luau and you could see Dog the bounty hunter there. Hawaii was also the second to the last stop in the game on the "Amazing Race" season that just ended, but they mostly stayed by the airport.
          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
            Hawaii was also the second to the last stop in the game on the "Amazing Race" season that just ended, but they mostly stayed by the airport.
            And parachuted onto the sandbar in Kaneohe Bay.
            Very pretty scenes, and I'm sure a lot of mainlanders were oohing and aahing!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              And parachuted onto the sandbar in Kaneohe Bay.
              Very pretty scenes, and I'm sure a lot of mainlanders were oohing and aahing!
              Heck, I was watching and wishing I could do that!!! And I live a few miles from Honolulu airport!
              Blaine
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
                Hawaii was also the second to the last stop in the game on the "Amazing Race" season that just ended, but they mostly stayed by the airport.
                I did not know that! Awesome. I saw a promo of the hangliding, but I just assumed those gorgeous mountains were in Brazil or something. Yay for the Ko`olaus!

Comment

Yes, they even went to Pu'u 'Ualaka'a State Park ("Tantalus"--they used the Hawaiian name though, so that was good! Even though they massacred it greatly...same with all the pronunciations of "Kalakaua"...). We were just there for a field trip! They stood at the lookout to get the clue so you could see all Diamond Head and Honolulu down below. But the thought that came into my mind as they were driving there from the airport (they showed them driving by the Punchbowl cutoff) was ... wow, NO traffic! Must've been a Sunday or something, because it looked to be about 8-9 in the morning, but no gridlock at all. When they first gave the clue, I thought ha, they will definitely get caught in traffic and watch all the grumbling begin. But I was surprised. Even when showing them going to Hilo Hattie or the paddling one (was that Ala Moana?), no traffic. And then, yes, it ended with the skydiving into Kane'ohe Bay, before returning to the airport.

I know quite a few people on several forums were upset at the American Airlines counter guy for lying to Kris and Jon about the earlier United flight, which allowed Kendra & Freddy to win. They were talking about coming down here, finding that guy, and slapping him silly (joking, of course).

In past seasons, there were a few stops in Hawai'i (I remember Maui and Big Island, as stops...maybe O'ahu too...stereotypical thing as getting blessed by a "kahuna", going to the volcano, things like that...), but I don't ever remember them ever having to do a roadblock & a detour on those past seasons! It was good to see all that.
                  Last edited by malia; February 11, 2005, 06:12 PM. Reason: adding

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    Heh. In today's Luann, they give out Aaron Hill's new Hawai'i email address, aaron@hulagirl.net. I sure hope that's not a real address; it's going to get scads of pings from curious readers.
                    Picking up on this old thread... in today's strip Luann wins a trip to Hawai'i.

I always resented that if I won that kind of contest, all I'd get would be a couple of nights in (woo hoo!) Waikīkī.
                    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; August 1, 2005, 09:30 AM. Reason: Changed to a permanent URL

Comment

yea. funny.... she wins a trip to Kailua, Hawaii. does that mean a plane lands in kailua?!

Comment

In today's strip, Luann goes to her friend Aaron's house in Kailua, 1306 Kahili Street. Heh heh heh. That's actually the real-life address of Dave Thorne, local cartoonist. Nice inside joke.

Comment

I was watching TV with my mom last night and she stopped on Blind Date, where one of the dates took place on Maui. The mayor popped up in the beginning, pretending to be her date. At some point, the show spelled wahine as "wahini" for one of their little pop-up joke things, and the couple went to the Royal Lahaina Luau where the mayor popped up again. There were a lot of "Vote for Kimo!" jokes added throughout the date, as well.
                          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

For Aqua Teen Hunger Force, the episode where the Moonites were gathering all of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force bad guys into one group so that they can beat up on the heroes.

They got to their house, no one was home so they went next door to Carl's house and he mentions that they (Shake, Frylock and Meatwad) moved to Honolulu (they were actually in Carl's house).

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              yea. funny.... she wins a trip to Kailua, Hawaii. does that mean a plane lands in kailua?!
                              No, it means an outrigger canoe will deposit her on the sand at Kailua Beach Park.

Wonder if people think the planes land in Waikiki when told they've won a trip there...

Comment

Sherman's Lagoon is doing a storyline featuring the humuhumunukunuku`apua`a, and without using her name, Governor Lingle is also getting a mention in today's strip. The Victoria Advocate updates the page daily, so click fast if you want to see Jim Toomey's version of our State Fish.

Comment

Working...
                                X