Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Point to ponder: Do you take drinking water for granted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Point to ponder: Do you take drinking water for granted?

WOW Craig! You should be the chairperson for the recycling committee...you could give concrete suggestions that you've worked out that are working for you. Folks here in HI seem to think that as long as we don't see our waste/junk that we dispose of...it's okay. Rubbish goes somewhere and someone else deals with it. Too many of us have this notion...GOOD for you doing something about it.
    Retired Senior Member

Comment

I'm just one of thousands of people who recycle here on the Big Island because we don't want this island to become another landfill. Since coming here I've gotten this greater respect for the land. It also helps that there's no refuse pick up here so you keep your trash to a minimum because you'll be hauling it yourself to the refuse centers.

Green waste is the hardest to haul so we compost as much of it as possible on our own properties. Since we're on septic tanks out here we didn't install a garbage disposal in our kitchen sink so that food waste goes to the compost bin as well.

You recycle out of necessity. And because I live out in the rural parts of Kea'au, you plan your road trips accordingly instead of bouncing back and forth several times a day wasting gas and contributing to traffic and pollution.

As a former Honolulu resident who complained when trash day wound up on a major holiday so no trash pick up for three days, I realized that the typical home dispenses a lot of opala without any regards to where it's being dumped. When you live out here you have to go to the landfills or the transfer stations so you see where it all goes and it makes you think about your contribution to that mess, you start to figure out ways to reduce your output of trash.

I know a lot of us want to recycle but are too lazy to do it. Maybe if we were all forced to dump our own garbage we'd have a better perspective of what waste is. Working with Title 1 families here in the rural parts makes me reflect on my wastefulness of the East Oahu lifestyle I enjoyed for 44 years.

Their lives are simple because they can't afford the luxuries that we can. I see 13-inch tv sets with rabbit ears on cardboard boxes because that's all they can afford. Man I used to throw out tv sets because it was too old or taking up too much space. I turned old end tables into outdoor planter boxes because there was a water mark on the table's top. That same table could've ended up at the recycle center where a needy family would have replace their bowing cardbox with it. Trash to me, luxury for them. It's a matter of perspective and it made me very humble of the way I live.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...-quickly-dies/

People just too lazy to brush their teeth.

Comment

Working...
        X