Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
    Nah I just thought it would be something tastier. It was like it was just boiled beans, perhaps that's what "authentic" is. Nonetheless, that's not going to stop me from going there again. The food was decent and the service was better than I would settle for... and for me great customer service goes a long way.

I think I'm gonna try another seafood dish and maybe the ceviche... yeah I like fish.
    It sounds like a boring prep for the beans. I have seen them elsewhere with other things added like bell peppers and onions to enhance the flavor. I've also seen them made similar to refried beans.

You're right about service when it's great going a long way! I love a good ceviche too.

Comment

so we went to el maricahi today for lunch and shared the carnitas and chicken fajita burrito. tasty and even better with their freshly made habanero hot sauce. mm mm good. wish we had some additional wheelchairs to roll us out of there (mom's in one already) as we were just stuffed to the gills. service was good, but the parking is limited especially during lunchtime.

and, now i know why parents should limit their children's intake of sugar. i haven't had a soda in several years now. but, had an upset stomach and thought that a sprite would help to settle it. talk about a sugar rush and high--boy did i feel funky.

all in all a good experience. the food was way better imo than mexico lindo in kailua. cisco's is really great if you want quantitiy and good quality. love their fajitas.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Los Chaparros on Beretania is mostly authentic Mexican. They have some Tex-Mex items as well. The owner/chef/waiter is also from Mexico City.

Comment

i'm thinking that several of the people working/cooking at el mariachi were hispanic as they were speaking spanish. i dunno if they were mexicans. but, the food was good. as for authenticity, again, i dunno.
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
            i'm thinking that several of the people working/cooking at el mariachi were hispanic as they were speaking spanish. i dunno if they were mexicans. but, the food was good. as for authenticity, again, i dunno.
            Yes, several of the people that work there are from Mexico.

Comment

bumping this thread due to the following, from introductions thread...

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              if you're still looking for Mexican restaurants, try Just Tacos Grill & Bar in Mililani. They are a full restaurant, great food and they have over 130 different tequilas at the bar! I think the owners came originally from Guadalajara.
              Originally posted by Angelito
              I'm sure once we get there(hopefully) we will be having withdrawals, so the search will be on. 130 Tequilas, definitely want to try them all...
              Thank you,
              a friend of mine who's a regular at just tacos mililani says the owner now does special tequila and food pairings for a special price if you can guarantee at least five people in your party. you need to give some amount of notice. during the one that my friend went to, the cost was either $50 or $75, with five courses of food/drink, and all the tequilas were premium quality, including bottles that normally cost $50+ and are hard to find.

don't hold me to the figures i quote bcs this was told to me on the 4th of july and i was already slightly lifted.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

at one point, the owner was Jose Cuervo's top NATIONAL sales spot! He's got some bottles that nobody else has and he has many that are very limited bottles. He was in our office the other day & talking about some expansions coming up. I've only been to Mililani place one time - but eat their food at least once a week downtown at my building. I'm so lucky!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                X