"Authentic" Mexican Food?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!

I'd like to mention a little story here about Cholo's.

In December of 2000, during one of my trips over to Oahu for the marathon, I decided one morning to get out of the city and get a long training run in along that little bike path that runs intermittantly along the North Shore, from appx. Pupukea to Sunset Beach.

I drove my mom's car out to one of the beaches just northeast of Haleiwa. I don't know what beach it was, but it was one with a small parking space for maybe ten cars, and it was right on the bike path..I parked there cause it appeared to be the perfect place to start and end my training run..a very convienient place to park the car.

I went out, and got in a good solid run, out and back, from where I parked, (in the vicinity of Pupukea) to Turtle Bay. When I returned back into the Pupukea area, I noticed that I couldn't find my mom's car..it wasn't where I thought it was..or maybe it was, but I simply didn't make the proper mental note of where I actually parked the it. I thought to myself that I must have passed it on the return back towards Pupukea..so I made a big mistake, and headed back (running still) towards Sunset Beach in search of it. I ended back in Sunset Beach having not located the car. Again, I headed back towards Pupukea again, this time stopping again in Pupukea where I was absolutely certain I had parked the car. Once again, no car.

Okay, so now I was in panic mode...I couldn't find the car for anything..so I once again, still running, I returned towards Sunset Beach, hoping that somewhere I'd find the car in a place it was but I thought it couldn't have been. Again..I ended back in Sunset Beach, with the car not to be found.

Frustrated, I went into a 76 station in Sunset Beach owned by a Mrs. Park, hoping someone in there might have an idea where my car was, if I gave them some clues to what I recalled about the place where I had parked it. I explained to Mrs. Park (who was in-shop during my panic attack) of the predicament I was in. She tried her best to help me, asking me questions about what the area I had parked the car looked like, i.e., were there any notable lankmarks I could recall, etc.

While Mrs. Park and I tried to figure out where I might have parked the car, a woman buying gas at the station overheard our conversation, and offered to help me out. She would drive me along the highway where I thought my car was until we found it.

It turns out this woman was the owner of Cholo's in Haleiwa...who, during our conversation while searching for the car, mentioned that she was once a Rhode Islander from Narragansett..she was floored when I mentioned that I was an ex-island boy now residing across the bay from her old town, in Bristol, Rhode Island. Small world, yeah?

We did find the car eventully...it was less than a tenth of mile from where I was ending my searches in the Pupukea area..I was simply disoriented where I was, and if I had just kept going a little further...well..hindsight is 20/20. My planned training run of 16 miles must have, after all of the running between Pupukea and Sunset Beach got factored in, turned into a run of around 22 miles.

She ( I never got her name!) invited me over to Cholo's for dinner sometime during my stay on Oahu, but I never got around to taking her up on the offer.

I've never been to Cholo's in Haleiwa...I wonder if it's still owned by this woman?

Comment

Re: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!

My daughter (who is now 14) would eat hot sauce and salsa right out of the bowls even at 6 months of age.
      Oooh, crazy baby. We keep teasing my daughter asking, "Eh, wot kine Korean girl you?" She'll eat a chip with salsa and go for her milk saying she's only thirsty. Yeah right. <LOL> I actually do like spicy food, but only when I'm in the mood for it. I guess I just don't like my chile verde spicy. Green chiles have a nice flavor and I like to taste it when I eat it. I kinda judge Mexican restaurants on their chile verde. Guess I gotta make my own. Eh, Kimo, where's dat recipe?

Comment

Re: &quot;Authentic&quot; Mexican Food?!

>>>>>> I like El Mariachi in Kaneohe as well..

Gotta try that sometime!

>>>>>>My daughter (who is now 14) would eat hot sauce and salsa right out of the bowls even at 6 months of age.

Yow!

small keed time, usta put tabasco on erryting i ate almost.

Comment

When I was working at Beverly Hills Country Club in Culver City on Motor Drive El Nopal was an easy walk away. I probably ate lunch there twice a week. Good food, fast service, and low prices (in the 1980s, anyway).
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            When I was working at Beverly Hills Country Club
            been there a few times, then, too!

The review sez:
            "This well-known hole-in-the-wall is often packed despite its Mexican knick-knack decor"
            huh?! as if that kine decor should scare people off?!

Comment

I worked on Treasure Island for Selective Service Region V Headquarters. I used to drive to a Mexican Resturant on 3rd and Market Street in San Francisco. Their soft tacos with pork tasted like Kalua Pig was sooo Ono. Even their Lemon cake wuz Onoono

While in Stockton try Adabertos!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

When in East Los Angeles go to "Manuel's" off Brooklyn kinda small but very ono food.

Comment

what is considered "authentic" Mexican food? for myself - I figure if its cooked by Mexicans, then it is authentic. So places like El Charo, Azteca, Toritos (well, they are from Central America), Just Tacos - they would be considered "authentic". What exactly do non-Mexicans consider "authentic" ?

Fran
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

so.
                    If a Mexican is working at taco bell. They are making authentic Mexican food.
                    hmmmm....

Comment

If you make homemade Mexican food at home (beef & cheese burritos last night!), are you...nah.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I consider a place "authentic ethnic" IF I see people from that country of origin also sitting among the diners. If I don't see any faces who match that cuisine, I consider it "faux" cuisine that's being dished up according to American tastes. I have a friend from Rome who's owned an "Italian" place for years. But even he admitted that the food he serves he would never eat at home. In fact, he taught me how to cook the food of the Lazio region (just outside of Rome) and I came to appreciate the nuances of regional cooking from those experiences.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Does chili count as Mexican food? After reading Ian Lind's description of his prize-winning chili, I'm suddenly ono for some.

Comment

I used to go to a restaurant that really did serve authentic Mexican food. Sadly, they didn't stay in business very long because most people are used to Americanized Mexican food and complained that the restaurant didn't know how to cook. Sheesh.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Does chili count as Mexican food? After reading Ian Lind's description of his prize-winning chili, I'm suddenly ono for some.
                              According to this food article, the origins of chili are probably NOT Mexican! My guess is it's a concoction dreamed up either by Texans or New Mexicans, because the cuisines of both states (regions) use lots of chili and chile peppers.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I love it when people demand "authentic Mexican food."

Here, have some corn tortillas banged out on a rock, with maybe a bit of chicken. That's it. No cheese, no guac, no rice, no lettuce, no sour cream, no beef, no chimichanga, no flour tortilla-wrapped burrito. Depending on how far back you want to go with the "authentic" label, of course. These days, a cheeseburger is "authentic Mexican food." They have cheeseburgers in Mexico, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X