Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

I was wondering what happened to the 'iwi that was discovered on the WM Keeaumoku site while it was being constructed. The last I heard, the bones were in a cardboard box as various Hawaiian families fought over who owned them.

Apparently, the bones were supposed to be buried next week, but there has been no resolution on ownership of the bones "...All descendants are to meet with historic preservation officials tomorrow to agree on how the bones shuld be prepared for reburial and write a "burial treatment plan.""...

I guess everyone still agrees that the bones should be buried in a corner of the WM parking lot, though.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln18p.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

typical;
      when you are dealing with a large corporation, and the State.
      This travesty continues...

Comment

Burial of ancient bones is delayed indefinitely

"The reburial of ancestral bones unearthed during the construction of the Wal-Mart complex on Keeaumoku Street scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed indefinitely.
        A Wal-Mart spokesman said the retailer was notified Monday by the state Historic Preservation Division that the burial would be postponed due to a "lack of inventory information."

Shame, shame, shame.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Burial of ancient bones is delayed indefinitely
          A Wal-Mart spokesman said the retailer was notified Monday by the state Historic Preservation Division that the burial would be postponed due to a "lack of inventory information."

Shame, shame, shame.

Miulang

Multinational corporations and the state... nuttin' but pilikia.
          Nothing happens when it is run by the state, and corporations evade and avoid responsibility.

Comment

Auwe! No Excuse On How Remains Were Treated!

Auwe! The remains found on the site of Wal Mart on Keeamoku put into an air-conditioned container till burial time? Found to be desecrated, heavily glued and marked with some form of marsh pen? I ain't gonna go shop there no more...no wonder my ...... broke on the first fitting!

SPOOKY!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Stopped by the Keeamoku Wal-Mart on Tuesday evening and there is a sign that now says that they are open 24 hours a day.

Comment

Re: Auwe! No Excuse On How Remains Were Treated!

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                Auwe! The remains found on the site of Wal Mart on Keeamoku put into an air-conditioned container till burial time? Found to be desecrated, heavily glued and marked with some form of marsh pen? I ain't gonna go shop there no more...no wonder my ...... broke on the first fitting!

SPOOKY!
                Now the State says they have to conduct an "investigation" on the desecration (mostly they're upset because whoever did the desecrating didn't ask their permission first), which means the 'iwi will not be reburied in the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't shop at that WM either.

Miulang

Comment

I'm sticking this article in the local WM thread because even though it's a national website (www.WalMartSux.com), the webmaster happens to be an ex-WM employee from Waipahu. Louie Maytorena brings up an interesting point: if Sam Walton was still alive, would he be against unions? Walton always talked about encouraging respect for his employees...tried to treat them like family, even.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
                    If you are asking me, i mean any and all around this state i live in which is Oklahoma. Since the islands are islands, hopefully, they wont be able to do that, they'll stay in the same building a long time and then add to it if needed.
                    Did that make better sense?

I worked across the US for a period of time (ten years ago, I guess...) in OK, I watched store after little store close within months of Wal-Mart arrivals, now in my home state of CA, they are like some mammoth toxic mushroom patch...they claim to be so patriotic, but whatever happened to made in USA; or Taiwan, for that matter...and unions? Forget it! As a former Retail Clerks Union member (they straightened my teeth with my dues, which is more than my battling parents managed to do,) I know the truth about a real and functioning union...it's not what the spin docs would have you believe...
                    Poor Samuel Gompers...it makes my heart physically ache that someone would have such good intent in mind, see it come to be, and not even a century later, all is rent apart in the name of...responsibility to the shareholder, or? Take your pick...This is not Free Enterprise. This is gleeful flight toward serfdom by the 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      if Sam Walton was still alive, would he be against unions? Walton always talked about encouraging respect for his employees...tried to treat them like family, even.

Miulang
                      If Sam were alive, it would be a wholly different, much less voracious entity. Reminds me of the Disney debacle. Totally different animal than when Walt was alive and at the helm.

Comment

Auwe!

The Circuit Court of Honolulu handed down a decision yesterday regarding the disposition of a lawsuit that was filed on behalf of some of the descendants of the kanaka maoli whose bones are thought to have been buried at the WM Keeaumoku site. The judge decided that WM was not responsible for any emotional damage to the families whose bones were disturbed because the bones are in the custody of the State and not WM.

In the meantime, the 'iwi kupuna are still housed in a cardboard box in a secure trailer somewhere in the parking lot on Keeaumoku. It wouldn't surprise me if some "interesting" things are happening in the store that no one is reporting on.

Miulang

Comment

Okay Miulang here's the secret: They're rolling back the prices! Rollin' rollin' rollin'

What's more amazing is that the descendents should also be suing those massage parlours that sodomized those burial lands and those auto shops that truely descrated those bones when those shops dumped motor oil on their graves before the WalMart construction discovered their ancestors.

Actually I'm amazed these descendents weren't grateful that their ancestors were even found! I mean if my son was dead for a long time and someone found his bones, I'd be grateful to that person for finding them.

Let's look at it from this perspective...these descendents hadn't a clue where their ancestors were buried until construction workers found them. The whole time these bones were buried, there was a lot of pretty bad environmental and social activity going on over at that site. Yet no one cared because no one knew. Has it ever occured to anyone that ancient buried bones are everywhere in Ala Moana...yet no one seems to care whether driving over Keeaumoku is desecrating any undiscovered iwi?

Heck these descendents when travelling to the WM site to protest could be the very ones walking over another descendent's ancestors' gravesite.

When these bones were buried it wasn't limited to just the WM site. You go dig a hole anywhere in Kakaako and you'll probably find human bones! Kakaako was the site of mass graves at the time of that epidemic that killed off the majority of Hawaiians. But is anyone talking about the Bank of Hawaii Building on the corner of Ward and Ala Moana BLVD? There were bones found there. How about The Gas Company building on Kamakee...bones found there too! Why only Wal Mart! At least WM is taking the obligation to do something about these bones instead of backfilling as was done in virtually all construction that occured in the Kakaako/Ala Moana areas.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Bottom line, Craig, is you can't change what happened in the past (like black Americans today can't blame white Americans today for the atrocities committed way back when, and the Native Americans can't blame today's white Americans for what happened to them prior to 1938, the Asian Americans can't blame the white Americans today for Executive Order 9066 and the kanaka maoli can't blame anyone alive today for what happened after the Great Mahele).

What we CAN and MUST do is learn from the past and all work together to ensure that things like this never happen again and stop perpetuating the hypocrisy which is borne through ignorance and fear of the unknown. Peace and justice take sustained effort from everyone. I just wish all the dickering between the State and the kanaka maoli families over the 'iwi kupuna is resolved soon, so that the bones can be returned to the earth, where they belong.

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; May 17, 2005, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Here here and the gavel drops once and for all!

Except that was in the past and I forgot what you said

The Iwi definately need to be ceremonially reburied in a respectful place. Urban Honolulu is the last place I'd want to be buried and be gawked at by millions of tourists as such at the corner of Kaphahulu and Kalakaua.

When I was a younger man I used to hike the many trails of the Koolau. One of my favorite trails was past the Waialae Iki IV ridgeline going all the way to the summit where a small 25 sq foot grass ledge (someone had to cut it regularly) overlooked both sides of Oahu. On the Windward side there was a steep drop where if you stood at the edge and waited long enough, you would see the clouds rushing up at you as the tradewinds blew them up the cliff walls. Suddenly you're engulfed in a white cloud and you felt as if you died and went to heaven.

That was my favorite spot to hang out by myself when I got depressed. It was a four hour hike to the summit but once there it was worth the effort.

Places like these I assumed seemed sacred and I treated them as if they were. Places like these should be final resting places for tired souls. It felt like a launching point to the afterlife when swirling clouds envelope your body and mind. It is an exhilerating and spiritual experience I never forgot.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Disposition of the 'iwi located on the WM Keeaumoku site is in the news again. I hope for the sake of the ancestors that this time all the families can come to a peaceful resolution soon. It sounds like everyone has agreed that the bones should be reinterred on the WM site, and it sounds like the only reason for the current discord is the court's decision to name just one family as the direct lineal descendants of all the bones located on the site, which was contrary to the recommendation of the staff of the State Historic Commission.

If all it takes to resolve the fighting is to overrule the first decision and recognize other families as also having lineal descendancy and ownership of the 'iwi, then that's what should be done, especially if all families agree to have the bones reinterred on the WM site. The ancestors have waited long enough to go back and rest in peace.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X