Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

Does anyone have confirmation yet that they will close the Sam's Club in the Leeward area?

Kalihiboy

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
      If you are asking me, i mean any and all around this state i live in which is Oklahoma. Since the islands are islands, hopefully, they wont be able to do that, they'll stay in the same building a long time and then add to it if needed.
      Did that make better sense?

No
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        the limited party and fast food kind of stuff they have at WalMart.
        That best describes the food selection at the Wal-Mart. Quick lunch, breakfast or snacks. Nothing major.

Comment

Re: Costco v. Sam's Club in Hawaii

I just heard that the Sams Club is laying off 90 people at their
          new store in Honolulu. The reason was the sales were not
          what they expected ?

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Keeaumoku Sam's Club to cut 90 jobs

Just three weeks after opening on the floor above the new Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku St., the affiliated Sam's Club has notified some 90 employees that their jobs will end in a matter of days.

"The Honolulu Sam's Club has made a business decision to conduct a workforce adjustment due to business results being different than anticipated," spokeswoman Jolanda Stewart said in a statement e-mailed to Hawaii news media Thursday evening. "As a result, we evaluated the departments and made the decision to scale back staff in certain areas."

She said 90 employees -- Wal-Mart and Sam's Club call them "associates" -- have been told that their positions will be abolished in one week, effective Thursday, Nov. 18.

The company described this action as jobs being "phased out."
          Last edited by Aaron S; November 11, 2004, 06:52 PM.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Re: Costco v. Sam's Club in Hawaii

While I feel for those people who just a few weeks ago started a new job in a new store and with a new future are out of work right now, I hope Walmart/Sam's Club gets the picture that we dont need anymore of these stores on Oahu. We have enough already.

I'd like to see a TARGET built over here but I have had the impression that the Walmart stores over here have discouraged them from expanding here.

Kalihiboy

Comment

The Star-Bulletin this morning confirms that 90 employees of the new Sam's Club are being laid off. The reason is that business was not as anticipated; i.e., Costco is probably too deeply entrenched in Honolulu for Sam's Club to overcome their late entry into the market. Apparently the laid off employees will be given the option of applying for positions at other WM operations, but they have no guarantee of getting a job there.

Miulang

http://starbulletin.com/2004/11/12/news/index1.html
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                The Star-Bulletin this morning confirms that 90 employees of the new Sam's Club are being laid off. The reason is that business was not as anticipated; i.e., Costco is probably too deeply entrenched in Honolulu for Sam's Club to overcome their late entry into the market. Apparently the laid off employees will be given the option of applying for positions at other WM operations, but they have no guarantee of getting a job there.
                Its really sad as the Chrismas shopping season is really taking off and you would think a store like that would NEED extra employees if nothing else.

But perhaps the Sam's Club wasnt needed at all, Costco is nearby and takes in alot of customers. Plus people can go to Leeward Sam's Club as an alternate choice as well as the other Costco's in Hawaii Kai and Waipio.

Kalihiboy
                Last edited by admin; November 12, 2004, 01:26 PM. Reason: Merged threads.

Comment

I visited the new Wal-Mart, and it was one of the worst shopping experiences I've had in a while. The place is enormous. Vast. Ridiculous. It took me 20 minutes to find Saran Wrap. Hell, I need GPS to navigate that place. I'll never go back there. I'll stick to Longs or wherever and pay a few more cents to actually shop in a pleasant atmosphere that doesn't resemble a circus.

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2004/11/14/business/story2.html

Not-so-super block
                    A month after Wal-Mart Stores
                    Inc. opened its Hawaii superstore,
                    results are falling short
                    By Dan Martin
                    dmartin@starbulletin.com

One of Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s key points in promoting its controversial Keeaumoku Street superstore was that nearby merchants would enjoy spillover business.

But some businesses in the area -- including those on Wal-Mart's very doorstep -- say they are still waiting for that super dividend to materialize.

"We thought it would bring in more business but it hasn't really helped us," said Sara Jang, owner of Parasol, which serves coffee, shave ice and other refreshments directly across the street from the two-story retail building.

It's only been one month since the complex's Oct. 14 opening, and the Christmas shopping season is yet to begin, but many of the merchants in the area lament that the store so far has brought more action to the streets, but not necessarily to their cash registers.

That includes some of the businesses directly in the double-decker store's shadow.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

The people employed by the local WM who make $6/hr are actually below the poverty level if based on the annual cost of living increase. They would need to make more than $9/hr to keep their heads above water.

Interesting that 14 states have minimum wage laws that exceed the Federal standards. Hawai'i should be one of those, because the cost of living is so high.

Miulang

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/112404I.shtml
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Sprawlmart may not gain any footing in the possible Daiei kaheka thing in da news...
                        Daiei at this locale is profitable.
                        their lease extends til 2018.
                        A&B may buy the land it sits on... for possible redevelopment of the structure and area.

so enjoy that ol' timey 60's Hawaii feel there while ya can citizens. Cus it will soon look like an Irvine strip mall.

additionally, here's my prediction, based on:
                        * sam's club's slow demise lately.
                        * walmart laying off people and the sales not meeting expectations.
                        * neigborhood businesses not enjoying any residual traffic or cashola from people walmart brings into the area. something walmart promised would happen to pull the wool over peoples eyes.
                        * lack of business promised to high rent paying enterprises in the walmart building, the "shops at keeaumoku".

they simply don't see any of the promised business walmart vouchsafed to them. And retail consultants are doing the usual word shuffle to say, "well we never said it would be immediate. they gotta wait for the dust to settle."
                        or some such avoid/evade verbiage...

Ok so the prediction is:
                        Walmart and "Sam's-club-over-the-head-of-local-businesses" will close and we will have remaining, a huge empty behemoth of a structure, (that's what it is now, of course) but it will be empty and NO one can fill it. we are left with an eyesore and aint a dayum thing anyone can do about it.

and we can thank walmart for screwing up and over another town.

think about it:
                        Hawaii. one of the most beautiful places in the world. and we are killing it.
                        Last edited by kimo55; December 10, 2004, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                          The people employed by the local WM who make $6/hr are actually below the poverty level if based on the annual cost of living increase. They would need to make more than $9/hr to keep their heads above water.

Interesting that 14 states have minimum wage laws that exceed the Federal standards. Hawai'i should be one of those, because the cost of living is so high.

Miulang

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/112404I.shtml

That's why you gotta love Home Depot..entry level part time and full time makes $10 per hour with a $0.50 raise after the first year based on your eval. Part timers get virtually the same benefits as full timers including full family medical/dental/drug/vision plans for less than $93 per month, paid time off, sick leave, 150% matching 401k, profit sharing at 15% discount on HD stock.

They promote from within and they stress excellent customer service. If a manager is giving orders to a sales associate on the floor and a customer walks into his/her department he is instructed to help the customer and put all other assignments aside. Sales associates are encouraged to walk the customer throughout the store to help them get what they need for their home improvement project right to their car to help them load their purchases.

HD also encourages employee ideas as well as employee participation in community projects like Habitat for Humanity and others. HD will pay for up to 50% of any employee's college tuition for courses related to their work.

So how do I know all this? Because on Thursday, December 16th, 2004 on our Grand Opening day in beautiful Hilo behind wonderous Wal Mart I'll be the happy sales associate in the hardware department (yeah big boy toys) in the orange apron from 6 to 9 m-f. Basically HD's management style is what everyone could want in a manager, helpful and desiring for you to succeed.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            So how do I know all this? Because on Thursday, December 16th, 2004 on our Grand Opening day in beautiful Hilo behind wonderous Wal Mart I'll be the happy sales associate in the hardware department (yeah big boy toys) in the orange apron from 6 to 9 m-f. Basically HD's management style is what everyone could want in a manager, helpful and desiring for you to succeed.
                            So you going work for HD, huh? Got itchy feet already from being retired for one year? Now you and Aaron get something to talk about. Hammers and nails and competition! Congrats.

Miulang

Comment

"The Honolulu Sam's Club made a business decision to conduct a workforce adjustment due to business results being different than anticipated," spokeswoman Jolanda Stewart said in a statement e-mailed to Hawaii news media Thursday evening. "As a result, we evaluated the departments and made the decision to scale back staff in certain areas." "associates" -- have been told that their positions will be abolished. The company described this action as jobs being "phased out."

Can you believe this bullhash!?
                              This lack of unaccountability? Of responsibility? Of mind-numbing double talk?
                              Wjy don't they just level with people and speak English!?
                              This is what the above really means:

"we admit we lied to the public by saying we WILL create jobs. Just to get public opinion in our favor.
                              Now, we will fire a buncha people who just recently left OTHER jobs in the hopes of growing with a seemingly growing company.
                              We falsely claimed definite projected business activity. And much tax revenue coming in. Based on gazing into our crystal ball. (Which is infallible. Even now.) Again, to garner public backing. And the local government bought it and much of the public did too. Yessireebob! Hook, line and stinker.
                              However, sales are at a very sucky level now.
                              We believed the retail real estate consultants (no accident that's the word you get when you ad "con" and "insult") and built Sam's Club on top of another store. Now these same consultants say it is NOT convenient and our kind of shoppers want only convenience.
                              So, we see low numbers walking though the departments peopled by those we will FIRE!

"Soooo, ummmmaaah, Fred? Yeaaah ahh Fred, your position is abolished"
                              "You mean I am fired"
                              "No... You are a valued 'ass-ociate'! It's just that your job is being phased out."
                              You are saying yer canning my ass!"
                              "No, not exactly. We are adjusting the work force."
                              "I gotta hit the street, you mean!"
                              "No, we are simply scaling back. Staff. In certain areas..."
                              "You wanna make me basically unemployed!?"
                              "Nooo... Uh... we are phase-scaling work force to a minimal substrata..."
                              "Oh I get it. You don't need me, I won't earn any more paychecks here?"
                              "Nooo, were not really saying that... we are downsizing here.."
                              "I'm history, yea?"
                              "Not at all, Fred... we...
                              "Ok, allright. Yer outta her, ya bum!
                              Don't let the screen door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!"

Comment

Eh Kimo, I think our scenarios that we posted in da odda WM thread in da World Events folder still going come true: Sam's going fold and dey going convert dat space and da Keeaumoku WM into one SuperWM (which will have da grocery store where Sam 's was) causing Daiei's grocery business (reported to be da most profitable of da 4 Daiei's in Honolulu) to wane which in turn will force Daiei to close da Kaheka store so dat A&B (da ones buying da land under Daiei) can redevelop dat land sooner den 2018, which is when Daiei's lease expires!

That would be one neat package, yeah?

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X