Technical Questions about HawaiiThreads.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Questions about HawaiiThreads.com

I noticed our mileage odometer at the bottom of the main page shows more than 1,200 topic threads and over 10,000 messages. And this is only for the main board. There are 5 other boards that I know of that exist on this server.

Hawaii Media Forum
    An extension of my Hawaii Radio & Television Guide website

4 Bangers United
    In association with 4BangersJP.com (an offroad Jeep conference * site)

GPS Talk
    Affiliated with Hawaii Geocachers, one of Ryan's many other sites.

Kailua Chat.com
    Doesn't seem to be a website connected to this, but it is for Kailua residents.

Mililani Chat
    Affiliated with Mililani Interactive

My questions. (I'll understand if these questions can't be answered due to confidential information.)

1. What is the total carrying capacity for hosting the main board as well as the affiliated board areas? How many megabytes of hard disc space have all the messages, sub-boards, topics, member profiles have taken up?

2. What is the total amount of megabyte space there is for the HawaiiThreads domain?

3. How far do we have to go before you max out the hard drive space allocation?

4. If so, will there be a massive clean-up planned for say, the end of the year or will the conferences go on as usual until the site gets totally filled up with data?

5. How is the bandwidth usage here? I know we probably never come close to maxing this out except during those times when there is a live event happening elsewhere and a play-by-play synopsis is being reviewed here (re: American Idol).

6. Except for the Hawaii Media section, is everyone aware of the other boards hosted on this site? Hawaii Media has its own obvious link, but unless people read the FAQ, no one knew about the other boards until they read this initial message.

7. Is the site regularly back-up and an up to date archive stored off-site? If HawaiiThreads crashed, would everything be saved or will it all disappear? HawaiiPeople.net crashed and the entire thing was lost.

Comments?
    Last edited by mel; October 16, 2004, 11:00 PM. Reason: fix typos
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Technical Questions about HawaiiThreads.com

What is the total carrying capacity for hosting the main board as well as the affiliated board areas? How many megabytes of hard disc space have all the messages, sub-boards, topics, member profiles have taken up?
    If I'm reading my server logs correctly, HawaiiThreads.com itself currently requires 7MB of physical space (for PHP and rendered pages) and 30MB in database storage (where most of the content is kept).
    What is the total amount of megabyte space there is for the HawaiiThreads domain?
    HawaiiThreads.com shares a server with dozens of other domains, including HawaiiNews.com, HawaiiAnswers.com, HawaiiStories.com, etc. Some of these domains constitute only a few megabytes of data, one or two of them involve hundreds of megabytes. Altogether just under 3GB is being used; the maximum capacity for everything is 3.3GB (so far), though that can be upgraded.

How far do we have to go before you max out the hard drive space allocation?
    For HawaiiThreads.com specifically, hard to say. But if everything we've consumed to date is less than 40MB, there's room for many times that before I'd worry, and even then it would just mean adding more capacity.

If so, will there be a massive clean-up planned for say, the end of the year or will the conferences go on as usual until the site gets totally filled up with data?
    I hadn't planned on any major clean up or topic purge, though that's a possiblity. As it stands, HawaiiThreads.com has nothing to worry about as far as storage capacity. It's more traffic/usage that's the bottleneck, such as during the American Idol spoiler threads as you noted.
    How is the bandwidth usage here? I know we probably never come close to maxing this out except during those times when there is a live event happening elsewhere and a play-by-play synopsis is being reviewed here (re: American Idol).
    It's not bad. On an average day, we've got maybe 20-50 users on at once during the busiest hours. We can supposedly accomodate several hundred. Our biggest hit was during AI, with 275 users. That's actually fewer than our user capacity, but because each of those users was hitting "Reload" every few seconds, they essentially represented the usage of a dozen users each!

Except for the Hawaii Media section, is everyone aware of the other boards hosted on this site? Hawaii Media has its own obvious link, but unless people read the FAQ, no one knew about the other boards until they read this initial message.
    Those other boards operate independently of HawaiiThreads.com's... well, Hawaii threads. The Jeep folks don't even really care that their forum is on a Hawaii site, for example. And certainly I don't think people coming here to talk about Tiny Tadani care about a geocache in Manoa Valley. The segregation is by design, though I did want, through the FAQ, for people to know why they'll see users and topics in the "Who's Online Now" page that they don't normally see.

Is the site regularly back-up and an up to date archive stored off-site? If HawaiiThreads crashed, would everything be saved or will it all disappear?
    There are daily backups at the server level, and incremental, hourly backups by domain. That is, if everything's working right, I could just type a comand and zap HawaiiThreads.com back to where it was early this morning. That said, it still relies on the web server, which could conceivably fail altogether.

I know there's a process to backup the database to a single, downloadable file that I can then archive personally "offsite." I'll look into doing this soon.

Comment

Whatever happened to the 4Bangers United board? They seemed to have a pretty active community there. I liked to drop in and look at the pictures of the vehicles. Just checked and the Kailua board is also gone... oh well, that one was dead to begin with.
      Last edited by mel; July 20, 2005, 11:09 PM.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The Jeep group grew up and moved to its own site, 4BangerJP.com.

Comment

Another technical question here. vBulletin offers an option to "censor" certain words... like the kind you do not use in broadcasting. I remember reading that part of the FAQ long ago when I first logged on.... and one time when I did use one of those colorful words, it went through as is.... and of course I got grilled for using it.

At the time I thought the option was implemented to HawaiiThreads, but I assumed wrong.

Now I have seen the words come up on a few instances such as in the following post:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...9626#post39626

The FAQ says the system is not perfect, but why hasn't this option been implemented?

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/faq.php...censor_explain
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Correct. Word censorship is not implemented.

Creating a banned list (starting with Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words") starts things down a slippery slope. It encourages people to be either careless with their language and, more likely, simply creates an environment where people will simply come up with ways to circumvent the system (which we've already seen with phonetic spelling and creative formatting).

We're all adults here (well, most of us). Maybe strong language fits into the course and nature of a conversation. Most of the time not, though, and our members will call it. I hope it will never get to the point of nitpick editing and banning. I prefer people merely conduct themselves appropriately.

Comment

mel: "Now I have seen the words come up on a few instances such as in the following post:
              http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showth...39626#post39626 "

In this post you refer to is not where it first showed up. It was quoted in that post from the MadAzza post where it originated, from one of this forums "high reputation" members.

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai
                In this post you refer to is not where it first showed up. It was quoted in that post from the MadAzza post where it originated, from one of this forums "high reputation" members.
                Correct, which is why I put the word in quotation marks and attributed it to MadAzza from her post three messages earlier than mine. Thank you for clarifying that, and my apologies to all for quoting the word verbatim.
                Personally I don't like to see the 7 Dirty Words used here, and if quoting them in the future will use "f***" or "f#@!" instead of the actual word.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thread Archiving

1.) When is HT going to do another thread archive?

2.) Or does this happen "unseen" on a regular basis.

3.) When it does happen, which ones are chosen? By date? Closed status? Inactivitity? Redundancy? Poor rating?

4.) Are any threads simply deleted (instead of archiving) for some of the aformentioned reasons?

Based on the URL, it appears the archive section sits in a PHP folder as raw text data in HTML format. So that means it's using the same allocated server space in the main HT root. Raw text data shouldn't be an issue for space though.

5.) Lastly, so if HT was consuming about 37 megs' of space about a year ago, how much space consumption are we at now?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by admin
                  (10/17/04)
                  If I'm reading my server logs correctly, HawaiiThreads.com itself currently requires 7MB of physical space (for PHP and rendered pages) and 30MB in database storage (where most of the content is kept).
                  HawaiiThreads.com shares a server with dozens of other domains, including HawaiiNews.com, HawaiiAnswers.com, HawaiiStories.com, etc. Some of these domains constitute only a few megabytes of data, one or two of them involve hundreds of megabytes. Altogether just under 3GB is being used; the maximum capacity for everything is 3.3GB (so far), though that can be upgraded.

For HawaiiThreads.com specifically, hard to say. But if everything we've consumed to date is less than 40MB, there's room for many times that before I'd worry, and even then it would just mean adding more capacity.

I hadn't planned on any major clean up or topic purge, though that's a possiblity. As it stands, HawaiiThreads.com has nothing to worry about as far as storage capacity.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Thread Archiving

HawaiiThreads.com hasn't done a purge yet, though it always remains a possibility. So far, my challenge hasn't been storage, but server utilization. Some days things spike and I get a letter from my webhost telling me I better cut down or think about paying for my own server!

If a thread purge does occur, it's done on the basis of date. Yes, this would be outright deletion, though of course I'd keep my own backup. For now, though, threads linger indefinitely, and you can always go back and revive an old one (provided it hasn't been closed) -- for better or worse.

The text archive isn't a burden at all, and makes things easier for search engines to spider.

Lastly, so if HT was consuming about 37 megs' of space about a year ago, how much space consumption are we at now?
                    This is a good question. I haven't checked lately. Our database now stands at 96.40 MB. You can see how, eventually, some paring might have to be done, as it's no small task to index and manage that much data "live."

Comment

Working...
                    X