Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids TV

Smile Kids TV

This thread is being started for the discussion of small kid time TV. Local or national, share your Kids TV memories here.

Anyone on this board ever appeared on KGMB TV's "Checkers and Pogo" show? Anyone remember "Captain Honolulu", "Romper Room," or the Lucky Luck's kids TV show?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Default Re: Kids TV

I always wanted to be on the Checkers & Pogo show but being on another island kind of made that hard to do. Best I could manage was attending their show at Lihue Shopping Center. Got to talk to Pogo for a while, he was a nice guy.

I barely remember Captain Honolulu, maybe saw one or two episodes of Romper Room and didn't know about Lucky Luck having a kid TV show.

I vaguely remember Checkers and Pogo... I think it was just a little bit before my time. I do remember something that I think was called TV Pow. It was like a game. Kids would call in, and there was like some space shooter game, and in order for the thing to shoot, the kid would have to yell "POW!" over the phone. Never got to play it myself, but I remember watching it all the time.

Thumbs up Re: Kids TV

I was on Checkers and Pogo once. I played a relay game where we had to sweep the balloon across the floor over a finish line. Our team lost and my mom told me I need to practice more sweeping from then on.

Cool Re: Kids TV

I'm one of those Hawaiians who grew up in So Cal (Southern California). I've lived in Hawaii for the past 23 years, but grew up on the mainland. I missed out on the whole Kikaida thang. However, I loved watching "Checkers & Pogo" when we would come to Hawaii to visit every summer. Although we had "TV Pow" way back in the late 70's on KTTV-TV Ch.11 (When did Prof. Fun start TV Pow in Honolulu?) our only exposure to Japanese programs were Godzilla and UltraMan.

DXer

I remember TV Pow on Channel 13, KIKU (before it became KHNL) between 1980 to about 1982. Of course it could have started sooner and/or ended later.

I remember "TV Pow" too (though I think most kids knew there was no real connection between when they said "Pow!" and when something happened on screen), and Professor Fun. I have pictures of other regular characters from that show in my head (like the twin clowns), but can't name any to save my life right now. According to this KHNL history page, it was 1979. I would have been five.

I always wondered... how did the Professor Fun/Fun Factory relationship work? You definitely saw the professor around (in Fun Factory ads) a lot longer than his show lasted. In fact, I think Professor Fun was at mall events and the like only a few years ago...

I remember Professor Fun making his island debut on the "Checkers & Pogo" TV show at KGMB. This was a few years before "TV Poww".....
    I'm still here. Are you?

Out of this one ... my (mainland) experience was "The Howdy Doody Show" and "Mickey Mouse Club".

Oh, man, how could I forget about Kikaida and Ultraman?!? I used to love those shows too. This next show doesn't really count as kids TV, but when I was a kid, my mom and aunt used to watch Abarenbo Shogun all the time. I used to love that show too. Was always the same general plot: the Shogun cruises around with the commoners and comes across some bad guy, infiltrates the bad guy's lair, gets caught but then reveals to everyone that he is the Shogun. They all bow down while the Shogun tells them about their crimes. And then, the bad guy claims that he is not really the Shogun but an imposter. Shogun takes out his sword, twists the cutting edge out, and the music starts and he kills everyone. Love that show. There was another Japanese show that we used to watch too, but I forget the name of it. I know that one of the guys used to be a ninja, and he went around with a patch over his eye.

Default Re: Kids TV... The Return of Kamen Rider V-3!

Starting tonight, Oceanic channel 78, 6:30pm, the return of Kamen Rider V-3!

Yes, that green-eyed "bug" cyborg with the cool red mask and cape, battling the destron monsters, leaping hills and dodging missles on his "Hurricane" motorcycle.

Ahh.. from the good ole' Kikaida days!

Catch special local appearances by Kamen Rider V-3 himself, costume created by Lane Luna, a talented artist and fish-mount taxidermist from Hilo.

Special thanks to JNP (Joanne Ninomiya Productions) for bringing this classic Tokusatsu (Japanese sci-fi) series back to Hawaii. Digitally remastered and subtitled from original Toei reels. DVD's in stores will follow.

Hmmph.. Henshin.. BUI-SU'REE!
    Last edited by Pomai; May 16th, 2004 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typo'

Quote Originally Posted by mel
    This thread is being started for the discussion of small kid time TV. Local or national, share your Kids TV memories here.

Anyone on this board ever appeared on KGMB TV's "Checkers and Pogo" show? Anyone remember "Captain Honolulu", "Romper Room," or the Lucky Luck's kids TV show?
    Wasn't Pogo Dave Donlley? (sp.) Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else..hmm.

I used to watch them all. Maybe too much, because I rarely watch any television today. Some of my favorites were The Three Stooges, Bewitched, Flintstones, Jetsons, Mr. Ed, Roadrunner, Get Smart, and Superman. Those came to my mind at the moment but I know there were others.

I've turned more into a computer person than television.

Smile Re: Kids TV

Quote Originally Posted by people
    Wasn't Pogo Dave Donlley? (sp.) Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else..hmm.

Dave Donnelly played Mr. Checkers for about a year or 2 at the most. He was the 2nd Mr. Checkers in the long running series. The first was Jim Hawthorne and the 3rd was Jim Demarest. Donnelly passed away earlier this year after a long career as a Star Bulletin columnist.

Morgan White played Pogo Poge throughout the entire run of Checkers and Pogo. He started with KGMB radio before moving to KGMB TV to play the famed kid show character. I think he is still living in Utah.

Checkers and Pogo Videotape
    Checkers and Pogo Pictures
    Last edited by mel; May 28th, 2004 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fix typos
    I'm still here. Are you?

When I was a junior in HS, Pogo was the keynote speaker for the graduating senior class.
    However, my excitement about getting to see one of my childhood icons in person was quickly extinguished when he showed up in a coat and tie...

(I had to go into therapy after that.)

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Does Professor Fun still life in Ainakoa? The one street Mauka and parallel to Malia street in front of Star of the Sea school? When I was a kid I used to deliver the Hawaii Times Japanese language newspaper to a house near his. He had this sign in front of his house that said, "Beware, Killer Rabbits".

I was on the Checkers & Pogo show too, remember the jar full of pennies and the strawberry jello pie eating contest? All that in the KGMB studio, kinda where the news is shot now.

Thumbs up Re: Kids TV

I didn't watch much TV as a kid. I do remeber likiing Tom and Jerry alot though. He man was good too.

I didnt like GI Joe much though.

-vic
    Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Hey whatever happened to "Zaboga". I remember when Daiei was in Pearlridge and they used to have a Zaboga motorcycle ride just outside the doors. Yea...Zaboga and his "CHAIN PUNCH"!!!

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

So Vic...you watched Tom and Jerry? Geez now I know where you got your craziness from. Remember the time you mooned I-94 from the parking lot back in the Queen Street days? By the way whatever happened to Mike G. I remember when some girl called in to the morning drive and she asked what he looked like, and Rory told her if she knew what Shaggy on Scooby Doo looked like. I think that pretty much destroyed that girl's fantasy of Mike.

Default Our Gang

Thanks for clearing up the Checker and Pogo identiies.

This is a trivia but would be nice to know the answer. In the Our Gang TV show, who was the character that used to live in Hawaii and worked at Pearl Harbor at one time? I think, his employment at Pear Harbor wasn't real long, maybe a year or two.

My dad could not remember his name, but worked with this "character". I tried researching this once buit could not find who he had in mind. My dad said he would recognize the person if he say the picture.

I hope someone has the answer to this.

loved seeing the C&P retrospect on KGMB a whle ago. Motivated me to then buy the video.
    quite dissapointed to see they weren't one and the same thing;
    that goofy intro music made up of alotta wacky 'found' sounds and effects is missing from the tape version. That's one of the things I liked most about the show...

Default Re: Our Gang

Quote Originally Posted by people
    Thanks for clearing up the Checker and Pogo identiies.

This is a trivia but would be nice to know the answer. In the Our Gang TV show, who was the character that used to live in Hawaii and worked at Pearl Harbor at one time? I think, his employment at Pear Harbor wasn't real long, maybe a year or two.

fit da bill?!

Jay R. Smith (1915-2002)

Jay R. Smith was born on 29th August 1915. When he joined up with the little rascals he was already ten years old, still he could stay for the next four years in the serial.

With the begin of the sound film and grow out of the children's shoes, the film business didn't offer any occupation for Jay R. Smith.

During World War II he served in the US Army. After the end of the war he took over a paint business. After his retirement he went to Hawaii but the last years of his life he had spent in Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by mel

Yeah! I was on Checkers and Pogo and Romper Room. Remember the magic mirrror and Miss Robin. Hadn't thought about that in years.

Haha this is my friends membership but he asked me if I knew Checkers & Pogo and Captain Honolulu and I asked why and he showed me this. Being that I'm older than the trees planted in the new subdivisions in Waipahu above H1 He's letting put in a response. Talk about going back in time yeah I do remember those shows. My brother and I were cub scouts then and my mother a den mother and she got our troupe to go to the Checkers & Pogo Show. I remember having to cheer and stomp everytime they raised a sign.
    Also around that time was the Bozo the Clown Show. I remember being on that show too and actually participated in a game where I had sit on a balloon to pop it.
    Anybody remember Professor Fun? I met him at a dinner party giving by one of my many aunts and uncles when I went for a sleepover. I distinctly remember walking down the hallway going to get something to drink and heard a crowd on the patio and there was a tall man with spectacles and him asking who I was and all I could say was you're Professor fun and then I heard the crowd chuckle behind him and he had a big smile on his face.
    Funny the things we remember.
    I remember when Checkers & Pogo would send kids a packet to start up a Muscular Dystrophy party. I did that a few times. We'd have games and shows. Everybody had to cough up some change before coming in. LOL. We even dressed up some neighborhood pets to look like lions and bears and longhorns and charged a nickel or so to visit our homemade zoo.
    Crazy kine stuff we did.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post

Someone should point out that the host of the Captain Honolulu TV show was Bob Smith, and that he was not Captain Honolulu, but Sergeant Sacto.

I may have some details not quite right, but I think it went like this...

Captain Honolulu was modeled on a successful show in Sacramento, Captain Sacramento. But the guy who was supposed to appear as Captain Honolulu failed to show up when the show started, and so his 'sidekick,' Sergeant Sacto (Sacto as in Sacramento) filled in, and stuck.

I'm sure someone will correct this if it's off base.

I loved Checkers and Pogo! I want to get this
    http://www.tropicislemusic.com/videos/childrens3.htm

but I wish it was on DVD. I still have my VHS player, but I don't know how much longer it's going to be working.
    "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast