• Show
Clear All

Re: Greatest Guitar Riffs?

Barra-barracuda!

Comment

Originally posted by FreaknHaole

Barra-barracuda!
      Egads. Now the dang thing's stuck in my head.

Comment

hmmph. my favorite isn't mentioned on the list, which is quite extensive here:

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...uitarriff.html

Here's something else to get stuck in your head. And no, I certainly would admit that I am not someone who would look like this, LOL!

Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)

Saturday night I was downtown
        Working for the FBI
        Sitting in a nest of bad men
        Whiskey bottles piling high

Bootlegging boozer on the west side
        Full of people who are doing wrong
        Just about to call up the DA man
        When I heard this woman singing a song

A pair of 45s made me open my eyes
        My temperature started to rise
        She was a long cool woman in a black dress
        Just a 5-9 beautiful tall
        With just one look I was a bad mess
        'Cause that long cool woman had it all

I saw her heading to the table
        Well a tall walking big black cat
        When Charlie said I hope that you're able, boy
        Well I'm telling you she knows where it's at
        Well then suddenly we heard the sirens
        And everybody started to run
        Jumping under doors and tables
        Well I heard somebody shooting a gun

Well the DA was pumping my left hand
        And she was holding my right
        Well I told her, "Don't get scared
        'Cause you're gonna be spared"
        Well I'm gonna be forgiven
        If I wanna spend my living
        With a long cool woman in a black dress
        Just a 5-9 beautiful tall
        With just one look I was a bad mess
        'Cause that long cool woman had it all
        Had it all, had it all, had it all...
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

personally, i'm with skchai. hendrix is the best in my book. all along the watchtower... yeah.....
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            led zepp

bring it on home.

travelling riverside blues.

or am i repeating myself?
            Two great songs.

Only one problem though, Jimmy Page didn't write either of those songs or riffs.

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
              Two great songs.

Only one problem though, Jimmy Page didn't write either of those songs or riffs.

coluld be a problem for you. dunno why tho.
              some people wanna find a problem in erryting in life.

it aint a problem for me. to any degree.
              cuz he played them. dass enuff.

Comment

coluld be a problem for you. dunno why tho.
                some people wanna find a problem in erryting in life.

it aint a problem for me. to any degree.
                cuz he played them. dass enuff.

Lighten up, brah.

I was just making a clarification that those aren't Mr. Page's riffs, but in fact somebody else's.

It was mentioned in the same spirit that it would have been if someone had said "I love Vanilla Ice's bass riff in Ice Ice Baby!" (it--as everyone in the universe knows--was ripped off from Queen), or "The Brothers Caz's song Just Like Living in Paradise is one of the best songs they've ever written!" (it wasn't written by them, of course...it was written and recorded by Ex-Van Halen crotch-grabber, David Lee Roth)

Apologies if my attempt to clear up the facts offended you.

Aloha,
                mel

Comment

How could anyone over forty forget "Day Tripper?" That opening riff is just as recognizable as "Satisfaction."
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

>Lighten up, brah.

"lighten up"
                    huh.
                    you are the particular individual creating a "problem".
                    YOU lighten up.

>Apologies if my attempt to clear up the facts offended you.

there is no need to "clear up the facts" to most anyone who is familiar with Led Zepp. Not any need to bring it up at all, for that matter.
                    no need at all to "clear up the facts" cuz all the facts (the whole history, source, provenance and all its minutiae) are not at all in question here.

for the thread is:
                    "guitar riffs".
                    NOT "guitar riffs, and the origin from wence they were ripped off."

All those in the know, or as you have it: "(it--as everyone in the universe knows"
                    are cognizant of the fact led zep borrowed, or as you would have it; "ripped off from" the mississippi delta blues men.
                    Last edited by kimo55; July 31, 2005, 09:38 PM.

Comment

>Lighten up, brah.

"lighten up"
                      huh.
                      you are the particular individual creating a "problem".
                      YOU lighten up.

>Apologies if my attempt to clear up the facts offended you.

there is no need to "clear up the facts" to most anyone who is familiar with Led Zepp. Not any need to bring it up at all, for that matter.
                      no need at all to "clear up the facts" cuz all the facts (the whole history, source, provenance and all its minutiae) are not at all in question here.

for the thread is:
                      "guitar riffs".
                      NOT "guitar riffs, and the origin from wence they were ripped off."

All those in the know, or as you have it: "(it--as everyone in the universe knows"
                      are cognizant of the fact led zep borrowed, or as you would have it; "ripped off from" the mississippi delta blues men.

Yay! I finally get to join the illustrious group of HawaiiThread'ers to get their head bitten off by the ever irritable Kimo55! (Not that I was intentionally holding out any type of bait in front of my head or anything ;P;P;P)

Believe it or not, Kimo, your no-holds-barred, no bull$hit approach is pretty damn refreshing to see on a Hawaii-oriented forum. Generally, most Hawaii forums or IRC channels are so friggen saccharine and non-critical that they are rendered completely boring. Troll or not, you're at least entertaining.

You rule, Kimo. *SMOOOCH*

Comment

Oh and just to address the last point...the only people who really know about Led Zep's plagiaristic tendencies are either fans of the band (like you and I), or rabid hatas of the band.

Virtually everyone else I have known, however, who only casually "like" Led Zep (i.e. only when they hear them played on the radio, etc) have absolutely no clue about this. But they are generally glad to learn about this fact when informed about it, and several have gained an newfound appreciation for the very bluesmen who influenced Jimmy Page so much.

Bringing the thread back on topic, I'm partial to "Achilles Last Stand", "Custard Pie" and "The Ocean" as far as Zep riffs go.

Rock 'da Casbah.....
                        Last edited by melorama; July 31, 2005, 10:11 PM.

Comment

You rule, Kimo. *SMOOOCH*

luv ya too!

Comment

...and several have gained an newfound appreciation for the very bluesmen who influenced Jimmy Page so much.

exactly. and I appreciate LZ all the more because of that.
                            without zepp, would not have known about many who influenced what we grew up with and also, we now, know as rock.

lz borrowed. and subsequently, others were very heavily influened by lz.
                            Last edited by kimo55; July 31, 2005, 10:40 PM.

Comment

as a poorly paid professional, let me put my two cents in here...there are iconic riffs (satisfaction, day tripper, etc) and there are the greatest riffs ever...i'd suggest to anyone interested that the greatest riffs ever played are to be found on jimi hendrix's "band of gypsies" album...the songs included are culled from 2 separate performances recorded at the fillmore east on new year's eve 1969-70...hendrix mastered the 3-piece format with the experience, and due to mounting pressure from the black community, he joined up with billy cox and buddy miles to form BOG...recorded without the net of playback, overdubs and retakes, this performance tops even clapton's legendary achievement with his 6-grammy "unpluggged" gig at mtv...

i have never wavered from my position that BOG is the most amazing live performance ever captured to magnetic tape, and am not likely to now...just get the CD and listen...you WILL understand...

and as far as "iconic" riffs go, lets not forget Freebird...playing at clubs around town, i'm inevitably assailed with request for the old chestnut...it costs $20, and the donkeys that shout it out always cough it up...
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

I always loved "Do you feel like we do" from Frampton Comes Alive. When I hear the opening notes ...I crank it up!
                                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                                Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X