Costco v. Sam's Club in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Costco v. Sam's Club in Hawaii

Well since I have both memberships I've been going to both places for a couple of years.

I've got to say the winner is Costco

Costco is a worker owned company

Costco is a perfect model of a good retail company

Costco has the most ultimate return policy(sometimes called borrowing) where as you can return most items as long as your are unsatisfied with the product at any time. For example: if you buy a tv from costco you can return it a year later to get your money back.

Costco has cheaper gas.

I do like sams club due to its location and for certain products. But if I were buying a really expensive item I would definetly trust Costco more.
    'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

A fun article in the New York Times about Costco's corporate strategies versus Walton's Sam's Club:

How Costco Became the Anti-Wal-Mart
      But not everyone is happy with Costco's business strategy. Some Wall Street analysts assert that Mr. Sinegal is overly generous not only to Costco's customers but to its workers as well. Costco's average pay, for example, is $17 an hour, 42 percent higher than its fiercest rival, Sam's Club. And Costco's health plan makes those at many other retailers look Scroogish. One analyst, Bill Dreher of Deutsche Bank, complained last year that at Costco "it's better to be an employee or a customer than a shareholder." Mr. Sinegal begs to differ. He rejects Wall Street's assumption that to succeed in discount retailing, companies must pay poorly and skimp on benefits, or must ratchet up prices to meet Wall Street's profit demands. Good wages and benefits are why Costco has extremely low rates of turnover and theft by employees, he said. And Costco's customers, who are more affluent than other warehouse store shoppers, stay loyal because they like that low prices do not come at the workers' expense. "This is not altruistic," he said. "This is good business."
      Don't have or want a New York Times website login? There's always BugMeNot.

Comment

I think Mr. Sinegal is unusual because he is bucking the national trend of screwing the employees while making the bottom line look better to shareholders. If you compare employee turnover at Costco v. Sam's Club, you'll see why his strategy makes more sense than WMs does. If I was the owner of a company, I would definitely want to treat my employees well; maybe even give them a share of the business, because one thing I DO know is if you feel like you have a vested interest in the place you're working, you're going to want to work far harder than if you feel like you're being treated like a number. If it's "only a job", who wouldn't only want to punch on and off the timeclock? Employee productivity is one of the key reasons why businesses thrive or fail.

Miulang

P.S. Costco is not a union shop, either. It doesn't have to be because it treats its employees fairly. And the article is right: I'm one of those people who choose to shop at Costco and maybe even pay a little more for what I'm buying because I know the company treats its employees fairly.
        Last edited by Miulang; July 25, 2005, 08:26 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Admin, can you add a poll to this thread?

Was just talking with a vending machine business owner the other day, and he said hands down Sam's Club has the upper hand (pun intended) over Costco when it comes to restaurants and business owners in general.

Love to hear other business people around here give more feedback on this (resurrected) subject.

The poll results would be rather interesting, and in my guess, unpredictable.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I had both memberships and eventually dropped Sams because there wasn't any in urban/east Honolulu.

But when I went into the first one in Pearl City, it basically looked just like a Costco. Same warehouse style, same packaging methods, same same same.

As for Costco Kirkland 48-pack AA batteries, I've repeatedly come across dead batteries. Not individual batteries but within that brick of batteries they are packed in groups of four. Every brick I have purchased at one time or other has had entire four-packs DOA. But since they're cheaper and with a "good battery" count better than what Duracell and Energizer can come up with, it's still a better deal, but just make sure you grab a couple of four-packs if you intend on needing them.

As for affluent customers, I think it's where you go. If you go to the Hawaii Kai Costco, the customers are quieter and more reserved allowing for a pleasant shopping experience (sometimes). But when Costco was in Salt Lake, oh my goodness, I'd see a total frenzy of shoppers who seem to feel that those wide carts should be parked sideways in the middle of the aisles while they talk story to sistah.

"Excuse me may I get thru, my 10-gallon pail of ice cream is melting".

"Eh townie I stay talking to my sistah so shaddup already, sheez dakine impatient buggah."

But at the Hawaii Kai Costco...

"Excuse me but will this white wine go good with that cut of salmon?"

"Ah yes ma'am, may I suggest our tree ripened lemons to cut the fish taste?"

"Are you insulting my integrity young man! I know lemons grow on vines!"

"Ummm...yes ma'am as you wish"
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Both Sam's Club and Costco's are 25 minutes from my home, but in opposite directions. Although I have a Sam's Club business membership, I rarely shop there but love to shop at the Pearl City Sam's Club when in Hawaii.

Before I go to Hawaii next year I'm planning to get a Costco's business membership so I can check out the Costco when in Hawaii!

Haven't seen a BJ's in Hawaii.....I have a membership to our local BJ's here. Planning to let my membership run out come February cuz I'm really not impressed with them...
              Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                I think Mr. Sinegal is unusual because he is bucking the national trend of screwing the employees while making the bottom line look better to shareholders. If you compare employee turnover at Costco v. Sam's Club, you'll see why his strategy makes more sense than WMs does. If I was the owner of a company, I would definitely want to treat my employees well; maybe even give them a share of the business, because one thing I DO know is if you feel like you have a vested interest in the place you're working, you're going to want to work far harder than if you feel like you're being treated like a number. If it's "only a job", who wouldn't only want to punch on and off the timeclock? Employee productivity is one of the key reasons why businesses thrive or fail.
                I choose Costco over Walmart or Sam's Club for this very reason. In addition to low turnover and relatively high wages for all employees, their CEO receives a salary of just over $300,000 plus compensation based on stock options, which is directly tied to his and the company's performance. By limiting turnover, Costco holds on to employees who care about the company and can provide exemplary customer service. And their prices are still great. So it's an easy choice for me.

Comment

Most people choose one over the other strictly on the BOTTOM LINE: PRICES. Not company ethics.

Many also disregard customer service for the sake of a cheaper price. To me that's a mistake.

You can buy something 10% cheaper at store A vs. store B. But if store A doesn't give you a fair exchange or return, or provide the knowledge you need to make a sound buying decision, than you've just wasted much more than what you saved in price on headache and time lost searching for a better purchase.

Fortunately for me anyway, I've had great customer service experiences at both Sam's Club AND Costco.

That's why they're at the top of the game.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There are both Sam's Club and Costco here in VA, they both seemed to have great services and sell the same products and great shopping experiences. I've been to both in Hawaii too and I like them both, I don't have any preferences.
                    Faith, the evidence of things not seen, but things that are hopeful.

Comment

I am a member for both Costco and Sam's Club. There are some things that are better at one place than the other. Cut flowers, for example seems to be better and offered at a better price at Sam's Club. If you're shopping for prices, you also need to do your homework.

About 2 years ago, Sam's Club was selling a Case of a brand of oil for $15/case. I bought it only to find that Walmart had the same case for only $12/case. Since then, I do not assume that since I am paying a membership fee at Sam's Club, that their prices will always be cheaper than Walmart.
                      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

I just recently renewed my Costco membership before Christmas and am now stuck with some huge tubs of spinach dip, artichoke hearts, olives....how come these things look so much bigger when you get them home? No, scratch that, they seem to double in size once you get from the check-out line to the car.

Comment

Sam's Club vs. Costco

I used one of those one-day passes to Sam's Club in town the other day. I'm a longtime member of Costco, both here and on the mainland. I usually shop in the recently expanded Hawaii Kai store.

Sam's Club didn't do much for me. They had a few things that were different from Costco. Not as big a book or CD/DVD collection, IMHO.

Their fresh meat department paled in comparison to the one in Costco, I think. My most exciting purchase was a bag of frozen breaded flounder.

And no free food samples. What's up with that?

Funny incident: when we arrived with our pass we were told to go over to the membership counter. The woman at the counter went into a big spiel about how we could either purchase a membership and use our card on the mainland when we were finished with our visit to Hawaii, or we could purchase a membership, use it during our stay on the islands, and return it for a full refund if we would be unable to use it when we went back to the mainland.

No, I was not wearing an ABC t-shirt, fanny pack, and new sneakers. Nor was I sporting a fresh sunburn on my lily white face.

We declined the offer to purchase a membership.

Comment

We used to belong to both. But the customer service counter at Sam's Club should be called the Customer Harrassment Booth Staffed with the Meanest Bitches in Hawaii. You can make a purchase, take it out to the car and determine it's not going to work, bring it back to the lack of customer service counter with your receipt, tags intact, etc., and it's like this giant interrogation lamp drops from the ceiling and you get asked a series of questions designed to make you contradict yourself.

It is because of Sam's Club's abusive "customer service" counter that we decided to vote with our money at Costco. And yes, Sam's meat is quite lackluster.

To me it is amazing that this is the same company as Wal-Mart where the customer service staff couldn't give a rip whether you return something or not.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                            X