The Manoa Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Manoa Flood

Ka Leo, the UHM student paper, has more details and more photos here. Judging from the mudline on a wall in one photo, it looks like the basement of Hamilton Library was submerged up to six feet or so.

Comment

It's ironic that a UH student paper has University of Phoenix banner ads on their website. Thanks for the link to the flood photos. This photo gives new meaning to the phrase: clean your computer of viruses and spyware! Please don't do this at home:

Last edited by craigwatanabe; November 2, 2004, 10:45 AM.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        I wonder why anyone would bother hosing down a mud soaked computer. Can these machines be used again? I would think not.

Anyone ever tried to recover data from hard discs that are mud soaked such as these?

With all the brilliant minds at the U.H. you would think why anyone never kept a backup copy of important data offsite?

It is a shame to read about years of research being wiped out by this flood. This will be an economic blow for the U.H.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

believe it or not, if the hard drive is sealed (as it should), minor water soaking shouldn't affect the drive platter. Actually flushing electronics with fresh water and giving it a good air blasting and drying should bring most electronics back to life.

When my cell phone got hit by a rogue wave, I immediately removed the battery, flushed the whole thing in a bucket of water at the showers, took the entire thing apart and dried it with an air compressor (you can use compressed air from a can), put everything back together and it powered up with no problems.

As for other computer electronics, as long as the power was off when getting doused with water/mud, a good soaking and proper drying should be okay. Practically everything on a circuit board is made of plastic or metal, just unpug everything and allow the water to dry out and not bridge any contacts.

Comment

I'm glad i saw this thread...........my mom has just been having a cow *something about flooding on oahu on the weather channel* ever since she saw it because she knew i was coming there next week! Accck, worrywarts!
            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Hosing down computer components might seem drastic, but if your choices are "screwed" (totally trashed) or "slightly less than screwed" (a few recoverable components), you do what you gotta do. Hell, you can put a soda- or juice-ruined keyboard in a dishwasher, and as long as you let it dry completely, it'll work better than ever. I'm sure some mud-clogged parts can be salvaged after a wash and dry.

They're still cleaning up in Manoa, and school will remain out for at least another day.

Comment

Classes cancelled again today and Ka Leo says Hamilton Library will "remain closed until further notice".

Comment

Your ignorance is truly remarkable.

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Just "Mother Nature" paying us back for not taking care of her land, I guess. The people who really get me are the ones who pay big bucks for the land to build equally big buck houses on view lots that overlook high cliffs and who don't do any infrastucture reinforcement. So the first bad rainstorm comes along with the erosion and then their houses are at the bottom of the cliff! And then they have the nerve to sue their municipality for negligence? Um, I believe the homeowners are the negligent ones.

The other people who are idiots are the ones who insist on building on flood plains and then don't get flood insurance because it's too expensive! Duh.

Miulang

Comment

Perhaps this link will enlighten you a bit Craig:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/ev...Flood20041030/

Overgrown brush and silt had little to do with the stream overflowing its banks. I've lived in Manoa Valley my entire life and am a weather spotter for the NWS...the Mapunapuna flooding and the Manoa flooding had similar weather dynamics but very different flooding elements...truly unfair to compare the two.

By the way...about 5 years ago the Hamilton Library Administration decided to relocate the historical maps, etc. from the top floor to the basement....unwise?...perhaps, but it would be unfair to blame ANYONE at this point in time.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    Hmmm when I went to UH Manoa many moons ago I always wondered what would happen at Hamilton if the basement got flooded, oh well now we know.

So I wonder who'll be blamed for this carnage of historical documents? I'm sure the Army Corp of Engineers will come up with the same results as from the last flood there and in Mapunapuna last year...clogged streams filled with overgrown brush and accumulated silt. I've seen Manoa stream and can attest to the fact that it did indeed need a good cleaning a long time ago.

What's really sad is that isn't AYSO starting up around now? Where will the Manoa kids play?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      This would be a good time, I think, to mention that you can donate to the University of Hawai'i Foundation online. You can even specify exactly which UH program you want your money to go to. There's a category for "UHM Libraries - General / Unrestricted", which I suspect would be the best for helping Hamilton Library rebuild its collection. Please kōkua, folks. This flood is a real disaster for UH.
                      On second thought, maybe not. Or at least, not because of the flood. An article in today's Advertiser pointed out that the state has insurance that will cover all of UH's flood response costs. Now, the rare documents and the spoiled research experiments, that's another story. No amount of money can help with those losses.

Comment

Originally posted by paulyboy
                        Perhaps this link will enlighten you a bit Craig:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/ev...Flood20041030/

Overgrown brush and silt had little to do with the stream overflowing its banks. I've lived in Manoa Valley my entire life and am a weather spotter for the NWS...the Mapunapuna flooding and the Manoa flooding had similar weather dynamics but very different flooding elements...truly unfair to compare the two.
                        Interesting. Sounds a lot like the 1987 New Year's Eve Flood, which also had a storm system that got "stuck" and dumped its load all in one place.

By the way...about 5 years ago the Hamilton Library Administration decided to relocate the historical maps, etc. from the top floor to the basement....unwise?...perhaps, but it would be unfair to blame ANYONE at this point in time.
                        If I recall, that was because the roof was leaking and the documents were getting dripped on every time it rained. Now that was clearly something that could have been fixed.

Comment

so basically this flood was the result of a storm situated directly over Manoa? Anyone who has lived there for any length of time will attest that there are many isolated showers within the valley itself. Heavy rain near the back but always seemingly hugging the valley walls leaving the lower central part (near Manoa Valley shopping center) fairly dry.

I've seen that kind of storm (albiet not that intense) over many valleys in Honolulu. I too used to live in Manoa for several years and along the stream behind the Chinese Cemetary and I tell you there is a lot of overgrown bushes in the waterways. The fact that the bridges near the flooded areas were nearly touching the top of the stream before the flooding began tells you that there needed to be some major cleaning of that artery since where did all that mud come from if the stream was clear of silt?

As for floodplains, virtually all of urban Honolulu is a flood plain if the deluge is intense enough. Even before the great New Year's flood, Waialae Nui valley (above Kahala Mall) experienced one of those direct hit storms back in the early 70's. Boulders, some as large as 6-feet in diameter came crashing down the stream tearing apart the concrete basin. Most of the rocks and debris plugged the Maile street bridge where Wilson Park ends. The stream rose above it's 10-foot high bank and flooded the park. More boulders came down and destroyed the chainlink fence along the park. One little girl was killed when she was caught playing in the stream by Hiikala street and was swept out to sea from the flash flood.

In that incident it was the boulders and debris that clogged the bridgeway at Maile street that caused the flooding.

And don't forget there was a major flood in that same area (next to Long's Manoa) just about 10-years ago with mud covering the parking lot fronting Longs.

What ever caused the intense rain still leaves one to question the adequate drainage of the valley. Whenever you reroute the original flow of a stream, you gotta remember that when that mega storm comes in, that rerouted flood control stream had better handle that volume of water. Waialae Nui valley's stream was rerouted without sufficient water handling conduits and the manmade stream overflowed. Manoa's stream looks as if it was rerouted around Manoa Valley shopping center and it comes to no surprize to me that the flooding started around there (Lowrey Avenue).
                          Last edited by craigwatanabe; November 3, 2004, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Destipe the loss of research data and the damage to area and the close calls, it was fortunate that no one got seriously hurt during the flood.

Comment

This is true, Helen. Classes (probably library sciences!) were in session in the basement when the water came through, and there was apparently a mad scramble to find a way out. Even if the risk of drowning was low, the risk of injury due to panic could've been high. Glad everyone got out safely, if only a little wet.

Comment

never mind just getting out, can you imagine if any of the circuit breakers failed during the flooding while those students and faculty were wading in rising water while copying machines and computer equipment become submerged underwater?

The impact could have been much worse if a failure such as that occured. I'm glad those breakers tripped.

Comment

Working...
                                X