Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

Just conducting a tongue-in-cheek poll here. While I admit that I am bi-manapua person myself I do tend to lean toward baked at times.
    Steamed
    59.38%
    Baked
    10.94%
    Bi-manapua (50%/50%)
    3.13%
    Bi-manapua but prefer steamed
    4.69%
    Bi-manapua but prefer baked
    9.38%
    Not sure but buy both of them to test out
    1.56%
    Not really sure, need further testing, buy 2-3 each
    7.81%
    Where the Spam Musubi poll?
    3.13%

Re: Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

Chun Wah Kam over on Kalihi Street offers mini-manapuas by special order. These little guys are about the size of a San Francisco char siu bao, not like the jumbo-sized monsters that Hawaii manapua have become. I always liked 'em for bringing a box to work, because if you bring regular-sized ones all the dieters don't want to eat a whole manapua themselves and end up cutting 'em in half.

Comment

I just don't like the stuff at all. I shudder to think what some of that "meat" is some places put in it.

Comment

Get plenny kine manapua out there. I've recently come across a pizza manapua. Pizzapua? Anyway, it was about as good as you might expect (i.e. not that good). I'm an old fashioned guy, I guess... steamed with char siu. Nothing fancy, just tasty.

Still, Albert, you're right... some things we're better off not knowing. I've been eating lunch with a Chinatown guru, and after hearing the stories he's got for nearly every restaurant and store down there, I'm not sure if I'm ever going to eat in the area again. (Oh, of course I am.) As for mystery meat?

Well, my wife likes to call 'em meow-napua...

Comment

Heh! Ever see the Sondheim musical, Sweeney Todd? It gives a completely new meaning to "mystery meat".

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Get plenny kine manapua out there. I've recently come across a pizza manapua. Pizzapua?
            Was this from a place in Aiea? I remember at one usenet gathering a few years ago someone brought that. I didn't remember the name other than it was located in Aiea.

Comment

What i'd really like to see is a Manapuasada - a deep-fried manapua. Fresh out of the fryer - I think everyone would want to buy this. And it would be doubly local.
              Sun-Ki Chai
              崔勝基 (최승기)
              sunki@hawaii.edu
              www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Comment

Originally posted by skchai
                What i'd really like to see is a Manapuasada - a deep-fried manapua. Fresh out of the fryer - I think everyone would want to buy this. And it would be doubly local.
                And wrap 'em in Nori to boot!

Eh, living on a neighbor island, this is good info, guys!! Mahalo mucho!!
                I'm tired of always eating the Royal Kitchen one my family always brings. For sure, I'm gonna try the one Glen Miyashiro suggesting.

(Also, I'll secretly pray that your name not really Glen Miyashiro)

Comment

Good Manapua and Hilo...a phrase you'll never hear in Hilo.

I'd like to revive this thread. I had to laugh when one of my friends who has never tasted really good Manapua from Oahu told me she loves the stuff and the best she's ever tasted (in Hilo) was from 7-Eleven! Sad to say but she's probably right as there is no really good Dim Sum place here at all. Probably because the Chinese never really settled into Hilo at all. Even the best chinese restaurants are a joke here.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    Good Manapua and Hilo...a phrase you'll never hear in Hilo.

I'd like to revive this thread. I had to laugh when one of my friends who has never tasted really good Manapua from Oahu told me she loves the stuff and the best she's ever tasted (in Hilo) was from 7-Eleven! Sad to say but she's probably right as there is no really good Dim Sum place here at all. Probably because the Chinese never really settled into Hilo at all. Even the best chinese restaurants are a joke here.
                    eh, if you like make your own (and you get time now dat you retired, yeah Craig? ), go to Alohaworld and Ono Recipes. Go look foa "Miulang's Manapua". I took that to a recent Ohanalanai gathering and everybody there said it was da bess manapua dey ever ate (da secret is da sesame oil in da dough).

Ooooh, now you make me all hungry for grine manapua! Maybe gotta go home and go make some later on....

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I hate to tell you this Miulang but I was dea and I no like be mean but I had to call 911 to get my stomach pumped after eating it...NAH! Ho did you see da look on your face after that one?

I'll check it out. I heard if you use the Pilsbury dough mix and steam it, you can make some pretty good manapua with it.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        I hate to tell you this Miulang but I was dea and I no like be mean but I had to call 911 to get my stomach pumped after eating it...NAH! Ho did you see da look on your face after that one?

I'll check it out. I heard if you use the Pilsbury dough mix and steam it, you can make some pretty good manapua with it.
                        ROFLMAO!!! Can use Pillsbury Dough, but no foget to put lido bit sesame oil insai da dough (maybe 1 Tb). I tell you, DAT's da secret to da onolicious taste of da Hawaii (Chinese) manapua! I wen go do plenny kine trials foa come up with da recipe (dis one basic manapua recipe dat I wen go doctor up so da ting taste like da kine manapua I used to remember from small keed time).

Miulang

BTW: I like da dim sum can get at da Hawaii 7-11s. Wish dey had da same kine up heah...all we get is da kine hot dogs and dried out chili dogs (yuck!)
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                          Was this from a place in Aiea? I remember at one usenet gathering a few years ago someone brought that. I didn't remember the name other than it was located in Aiea.
                          Pizza manapua can be found at a little place directly across the access road for Aiea Public Library; I've tried it and didn't like it at all. Their char siu manapua is good but occasionally has gobs of gristle, which is emphatically not good.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

steamed is best! fried is good too. But there's nothing like the steamed.

Comment

Even though I was raised on Kauai, went to college on the Big Island, I never had manapua until I moved to Honolulu.

Comment

Working...
                              X