Omiyage Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omiyage Ideas

I have a little twist on the old "what do you take for omiyage" question. I'm traveling for the Thanksgiving weekend, and staying for free on Kauai in a cabin owned by a friend of a friend. What would be a nice thing to leave as a thank-you gift?

So far, the best suggestion I've come up with is a few nice, scented candles from Illuminations at Ala Moana. Anyone got something better?

Thanks in advance. You rock. Yes, you do.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Omiyage Ideas

Originally posted by scrivener
    I have a little twist on the old "what do you take for omiyage" question. I'm traveling for the Thanksgiving weekend, and staying for free on Kauai in a cabin owned by a friend of a friend. What would be a nice thing to leave as a thank-you gift?

So far, the best suggestion I've come up with is a few nice, scented candles from Illuminations at Ala Moana. Anyone got something better?

Thanks in advance. You rock. Yes, you do.
    One dozen manapua from Chinatown! Dey no moa good kine manapua on Kaua'i!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Or on the Big Island!!!

When going to the Big ISland from Honolulu, bring a lot of Dim Sum from Libby's, Napples from Zippy's (we can get the chili at Taco Bell now), and one 48-pack Kirkland AA Batteries from Costco.

From Maui: Gotta get Mochi from Home Made cuz the attitude of the son at Shishido's is no good. And no forget Guri Guri sherbet.

From Kauai: What do you bring from there? The rock cookies...well the name says it all, no thanks.

Molokai: The sweetbread

Lanai: I dunno.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        Or on the Big Island!!!
        From Maui: Gotta get Mochi from Home Made cuz the attitude of the son at Shishido's is no good. And no forget Guri Guri sherbet.

From Kauai: What do you bring from there? The rock cookies...well the name says it all, no thanks.

Molokai: The sweetbread.
        Eh Craig, no moa Shishido Manju anymore! Dey wen close up last year. HomeMaid Bakery also makes good kine manju (coconut, peach, pineapple, etc). Da guri guri (pineapple is my favorite) from Tasaka's. Sam Sato Store's turnovers and dry mein. Cream puffs and malasadas (filled with guava or lilikoi filling) from Komoda Bakery. Krispy Kremes (as long as there is only one KK outlet in da state).

Kaua'i: Get onolicious kine guava products from Guava Kai and Kaua'i Coffee supposed to be even better den Kona.

Moloka'i: Da sweetbread and longjohns from Kanemitsu Bakery!

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think the idea was that scrivener was going to leave the omiyage in the cabin when he left. So perishable foods would probably be a Bad Idea.

Comment

K'den. How about a gift certificate from one of da really nice restaurants on Kaua'i? We had da most onolicious meal at A Pacific Cafe. Really a nice (and pricey) place on the Coconut Coast. Gaylord's is good too (a little less expensive) and Coconuts has excellent food, especially their breakfasts. All 3 of these are located on the Coconut Coast, so it's close to Lihue.

Miulang

Here's the link to A Pacific Cafe: You might be able to purchase a gift certificate online from them. http://www.apacificcafe.com/index.html
            Last edited by Miulang; November 24, 2004, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the good suggestions, but thanks to Glen for understanding what I'm asking. Yes, I'd like to leave it in the cabin as a thank-you, since my friends and I are staying for free. It would be cool, too, if it would be something that makes the cabin nicer or better or is at least something useful in the cabin.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                Thanks for all the good suggestions, but thanks to Glen for understanding what I'm asking. Yes, I'd like to leave it in the cabin as a thank-you, since my friends and I are staying for free. It would be cool, too, if it would be something that makes the cabin nicer or better or is at least something useful in the cabin.
                Then I would suggest that you get something on Kauai once you get to the cabin. And if you need to buy utensils or cooking tools, etc. while you're there, then just leave those as omiyage.

Miulang

Comment

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...ough-pandemic/

Memba bringing back mochi as omiyage to the neighbor island on Aloha Airlines.

Comment

Working...
                  X