Looking for a landfill site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a landfill site

Greetings. I have a solution to Hawaiian trash dilemma. First have it compacted into large square bales making sure 60% of the trash will float. The bales should be a min. of 20’x20’x40’. Then wrap them in florescent weather proof, waterproof sealant. Now take reflective paint and identify the bales as: “Hawaiian scientific ocean current mapping project, do not tamper with or disturb.” Now come the essential part of the plan if it is to work. Launch a world news campaign letting the international communities know that from each of the Hawaiian Islands, 10 scientific ‘floats’ will be launched with the out going tides every day for a year. State the purpose of this experiment is to see how long it takes the ‘floats’ to return to the Island shores. Invite the international communities to, if they happen to come across one of the science bales, to mark it with a waterproof marker with data of how, what, where, and when they encountered it. Then send it along its way back on the world’s ocean currents. Supplemental income can also be generated from the project by running a world wide web betting poll on where and when the ‘scientific bales’ will show up. Just a thought and trying to help.
    -Cal Wayne

Comment

And now the City has been fined for $2.7 million for environmental violations at Waimānalo Gulch Landfill. How does this help them find a new site?

Comment

The Honolulu City Council approved a bill yesterday that would force the Waimanalo Gulch landfill to close by 2008 as originally planned. This creates a sticky situation for Mufi's administration because a new site has not been identified yet, and neither has any other alternative (like shipping some of it off island). Residents themselves are probably going to have to start being more rigorous about recycling. And the cost of waste disposal (i.e. your taxes) will have to go up, no matter what. I would hate to have Honolulu turn into one big 'opala pile.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The City Council's forced deadline might be the only way to get the City Administration off their okole to seriously consider an alternative to Waimānalo Gulch. Nothing else seems to have worked.

Comment

The solution will never be implemented due to the "politics of NO".

Of course, the solution is a full blown waste-to-energy plant that produces electricity, ethanol, methanol, compost, and billets of dirty aluminum, glass blocks, bales of plastic, etc etc

The technology is all over Japan and many parts of Europe.

Alas, HECO will say NO to the electricity, Oil Companies will say NO to the fuel production, environmentalists will say NO to the smelting, Hawaiians will say NO because of bones, residents will say NO for location, and nothing will be done.

The Politics of NO is destroying Hawaii.

Most of Gen X and Gen Y see the Baby Boom generation as the problem. Boomers were trained in the 60's to protest anything. Vietnam, Environment, etc etc. Today, these Boomers represent the majority of the voting public. And by practicing the politics of NO vigorously, they are wrecking society.

I know that as I get older, Boomers, and the politics of NO, will start to die off. And a crumbling infrastructure will be rebuilt, better than it was, by visionary futurists of the X and Y generations.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

After reading this thread, I actually sorted through my garbage and pulled out some bottles. We needed a new landfill spots years ago and I'm hoping the state doesn't do a stall job to keep this from happening. Like many of you, I hope we send our trash to the mainland. Other than Washington, I heard that Idaho is also looking to take our trash off our hands.

This is a little off the subject, but I was wondering about Nanakuli. I lived in Nanakuli with my aunt and uncle when I was fresh out of High School for a short time. I asked my cousin about the smell at night and he said that it came from the farms up north. I figured it would be a combination of the smell from the farms and the ocean.

Just recently, I was hanging out with one of our Mechanical Engineers from work at his place in Nanakuli. I told him, "Damn man, I could never get use to that." He later told me it was because of some LandFill close to Nanakuli? I'm not sure if this is true, but it was what he said.

Anyone know the truth behind the funny smell in Nanakuli? No offense to Nanakuli residents.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                The solution will never be implemented due to the "politics of NO".

Of course, the solution is a full blown waste-to-energy plant that produces electricity, ethanol, methanol, compost, and billets of dirty aluminum, glass blocks, bales of plastic, etc etc

The technology is all over Japan and many parts of Europe.

Alas, HECO will say NO to the electricity, Oil Companies will say NO to the fuel production, environmentalists will say NO to the smelting, Hawaiians will say NO because of bones, residents will say NO for location, and nothing will be done.

The Politics of NO is destroying Hawaii.

Most of Gen X and Gen Y see the Baby Boom generation as the problem. Boomers were trained in the 60's to protest anything. Vietnam, Environment, etc etc. Today, these Boomers represent the majority of the voting public. And by practicing the politics of NO vigorously, they are wrecking society.

I know that as I get older, Boomers, and the politics of NO, will start to die off. And a crumbling infrastructure will be rebuilt, better than it was, by visionary futurists of the X and Y generations.
                Nicely said Timkoa. Haven't we already been working on recycling garbage with H Power? I believe we also have a dual layer water recycling plant that recycles water to be used for fertilization. We do need to do a lot more. Has curb side recycling gone anywhere? Not sure if it's economically feasable, but given the fact that we're looking into paying a company to take our garbage, maybe curb side recycling might be something that could get done.

Comment

Years ago we used to have a big incinerator that burned all of Honolulu's garbage. Years ago residents on the neighbor islands could openly burn their rubbish in pits, barrells or other containers, and easily dispose of the ash. Environmentalists hated it. They wanted us to have landfills. They got em. And now look what it has created. No space for any more.

Maybe we ought to go back to open burning.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    Years ago we used to have a big incinerator that burned all of Honolulu's garbage. Years ago residents on the neighbor islands could openly burn their rubbish in pits, barrells or other containers, and easily dispose of the ash. Environmentalists hated it. They wanted us to have landfills. They got em. And now look what it has created. No space for any more.

Maybe we ought to go back to open burning.
                    Mel, I know you don't like "environmentalists", but don't let that dislike make you get your facts wrong.

There still is an incinerator that burns Honolulu's garbage. It's called H-Power. Everything burnable gets burned, and the residual ash and the non-burnable stuff is landfilled.

Before H-POWER, the city used several earlier incinerators and dumped the ash and non-burnable stuff into other landfills. This has been going on for a long time.

See Garbage In Paradise: A History of Honolulu's Refuse Division for the details. In fact, that whole web site is pretty interesting. Their Data and Resources page is pretty good reading.
                    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; March 13, 2006, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for setting the record straight Glen. At least no one is throwing anonymous red bricks at my opposite opinion. I still maintain that we should go back to private open burning too. We did it all the time on the Big Island when I was a kid.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As long as Oahu doesn't start shipping thier garbage to ANY neighbor island, it won't be a problem.
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

It will never happen, but Kahoolawe would make a great dump site.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                            It will never happen, but Kahoolawe would make a great dump site.
                            Don't push Oahu's problem off on Maui County. We got enough 'opala as it is. But hey, I hear Hawaii County has lotsa open space out there on the lava fields!

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              But hey, I hear Hawaii County has lotsa open space out there on the lava fields!
                              We also have a volcano burning at 2000 degrees. Pele chose to solve our rubbish problem for us. We just ignore the solution. But that solution would be way too practical. Practicality takes a back seat to "belief" in today's modern society. After all, it's much easier to "believe" what feels good than to do what is pracitical.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                                We also have a volcano burning at 2000 degrees. Pele chose to solve our rubbish problem for us. We just ignore the solution. But that solution would be way too practical. Practicality takes a back seat to "belief" in today's modern society. After all, it's much easier to "believe" what feels good than to do what is pracitical.
                                Fewer people=less rubbish

Comment

Working...
                                X