Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    How about getting one of the salespeople (someone who deals with ads for a living) give their take?
    Ha! They are probably the ones who came up with this annoying pop-up ad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
      Ha! They are probably the ones who came up with this annoying pop-up ad idea.
      Those ads are so ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

There are no pop-up ads on the printed version. There's always that alternative.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
          There are no pop-up ads on the printed version. There's always that alternative.
          Thanks - I know I subscribe.

Comment

You hit the nail right on the head, GeckoGeek! The New York Times has required a login to view most content on their website for at least four or five years now. The point of this process is to track the viewer’s reading habits, and thus customize ads to the specific viewer.

Apparently, SB isn’t sophisticated enough to understand (or too cheap to afford) the value of this type of marketing. They just want to slam you with the foolish notion that a pop-up ad will both make a quick buck AND preserve their readership base.

Now I don’t have a degree in marketing, but it’s funny that the people who respond to this thread (both industry professionals and consumers) are the ones who least understand the situation. How about getting one of the salespeople (someone who deals with ads for a living) give their take?
            So much about nothing....newspaper internet advertising still at most papers across the country large and small only account for 3 to 8 percent of the total revenues. AND those in the higher single digit revenue levels fool themselves with how they account for those revenues. Ads are bundled with print ads in most cases but to make internal goals and to please wall street for those companies that are public they "allocate" most revenues to "on line". In fact, nearly all public newspaper companies are now reporting their first decline in on line advertising, so to grow much more then they are currently at is unlikely. Yeah the SB pop ups CAN BE annoying to SOME people but like most things in life....not to ALL. When the SB first launched the POPS everyone was saying "hey, where's the close button"? Shortly thereafter, a close button appears, so seems to me they are trying to serve both masters. I think everyone is losing sight of just how lucky the SB is to even still be alive and they should support them anyway they can to make money and keep the paper alive. If that means taking a couple extra seconds to hit a close button then do it for gods sake. Let's face it, The Hono Tizer just accepted large wage reductions across the board.....CUZ THEY ARE LOSING MONEY....begs the question...if the big bad full of print ads and on line business is so good for them but they still can't make it.....then how do ya think the SB is doing???? Midweek is good but it can't be that good......All I'm saying people is cut them a little slack...I dont see anyone being critical of the Tizer so they must be the role model.....except they are losing money...oh...right... so maybe not so much. Also, ya really gotta love it when someone says "why can't they be like the NEW YORK TIMES"....probably the same reason L and L Drive Inn is never gonna be Alan Wongs... Finally, those that would like to respond, please do. You may not like or agree with what I have to say but no need to tell me to go F myself like the SB's old webmaster did earlier. The way I see it....it started a meaningful discussion for the first time on this site in a long time. So, I guess that's a good thing. I realize I'm outside the circle of the 6 or 7 of you who regularly respond but another viewpoint might be interesting from time to time. Oh, almost forgot. A couple of the LOCAL TV websites have pop ups that briefly block the news content... AND they ALL have national and international news stories (more then local if you count only stories from that day)....ok, I'm done. Fire away....

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              I wish a pop up ad would come down and cover up the BREAKING NEWS story that's been up now for 24 hours that the WAHINE BB team has won a game....this is to me more annoying that no one is paying attention....

Comment

Apparently, SB isn’t sophisticated enough to understand (or too cheap to afford) the value of this type of marketing.
                Oh, snap!

Just in case you don't know, the New York Times is rather a larger operation. And us hometown hicks ain't got no sophistication.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Just for the record, no one here emailed or PM me about some of the earlier posts in the revival of this thread.

There is another thread in the Hawaii Internet section that addressed the same issues regarding the pop ups.

Several months later the issue pops up again. Clearly some readers of the site are not happy.

Last year I did email some of the people at S-B regarding my opinions of the intrusive pop-ups. While I disagreed with their answers, at least they wrote back.

Since the pop ups are still an issue, several things I have done.

1. I don't go to the main site page and links as often as I used to.
                  2. I use the mobile site which so far is text only with some pictures but no pop ups. In fact the mobile site has no ads.
                  3. When I link to certain S-B stories, I now link to the mobile site to spare readers from the wrath of the pop-ups.
                  4. Since S-B is still forcing readers to pop-up ads, I have voted with my feet and read news and blogs from other online sources.
                  5. Lastly there are several places where you can get the paper edition of S-B of the low price of "free" (one of them is Burger King).

We'll see what ramps up when the paper format changes to the smaller tabloid.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
                    Yeah the SB pop ups CAN BE annoying to SOME people but like most things in life....not to ALL. When the SB first launched the POPS everyone was saying "hey, where's the close button"? Shortly thereafter, a close button appears, so seems to me they are trying to serve both masters. I think everyone is losing sight of just how lucky the SB is to even still be alive and they should support them anyway they can to make money and keep the paper alive. If that means taking a couple extra seconds to hit a close button then do it for gods sake. Let's face it, The Hono Tizer just accepted large wage reductions across the board.....CUZ THEY ARE LOSING MONEY....begs the question...if the big bad full of print ads and on line business is so good for them but they still can't make it.....then how do ya think the SB is doing???? Midweek is good but it can't be that good......All I'm saying people is cut them a little slack...I dont see anyone being critical of the Tizer so they must be the role model.....except they are losing money...oh...right... so maybe not so much. Also, ya really gotta love it when someone says "why can't they be like the NEW YORK TIMES"....probably the same reason L and L Drive Inn is never gonna be Alan Wongs... Finally, those that would like to respond, please do. You may not like or agree with what I have to say but no need to tell me to go F myself like the SB's old webmaster did earlier. The way I see it....it started a meaningful discussion for the first time on this site in a long time. So, I guess that's a good thing. I realize I'm outside the circle of the 6 or 7 of you who regularly respond but another viewpoint might be interesting from time to time. Oh, almost forgot. A couple of the LOCAL TV websites have pop ups that briefly block the news content... AND they ALL have national and international news stories (more then local if you count only stories from that day)....ok, I'm done. Fire away....
                    It's kind of a misnomer that the Advertiser is losing money when in fact its parent company, Gannett is not actually losing money, but has lower profits and its stock has lost about 90% of its value. I know, I own a bunch which is now almost worthless.

Up until a year ago the Advertiser was one of Gannett's most profitable papers. It even won a award from the company for its profitability. You have to remember the Advertiser has a $90 million printing facility on its books, which can be deducted as capital expense for the next 20 years. Not to mention depreciation. Its all a matter of accounting!

No one is complaining about the Advertiser's website because it "doesn't" have pop ups. That's kind of the whole point.

If they don't want to listen to their customers then why should I support them? If they fail, its because they aren't meeting the needs of the people who keep them in business. I like living in a two paper town, but I'm not going to support a paper I don't want to read or a website I don't find useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                      It's kind of a misnomer that the Advertiser is losing money when in fact its parent company, Gannett is not actually losing money, but has lower profits and its stock has lost about 90% of its value. I know, I own a bunch which is now almost worthless.

Up until a year ago the Advertiser was one of Gannett's most profitable papers. It even won a award from the company for its profitability. You have to remember the Advertiser has a $90 million printing facility on its books, which can be deducted as capital expense for the next 20 years. Not to mention depreciation. Its all a matter of accounting!

No one is complaining about the Advertiser's website because it "doesn't" have pop ups. That's kind of the whole point.

If they don't want to listen to their customers then why should I support them? If they fail, its because they aren't meeting the needs of the people who keep them in business. I like living in a two paper town, but I'm not going to support a paper I don't want to read or a website I don't find useful.
                      Sorry, but it's hard for me to believe that the SB isn't listening to their customers. Someone earlier said: which customer? the ones not paying a dime or the ones paying thousands of dollars and apparently getting results cuz they are still there and growing....it's real simple: if it wasn't working for the advertiser they wouldn't pay. And if you really think SIX unions representing over 500 employees voted to take a 10% pay cut cuz the company isnt making money because of the depreciation expense adjustment then you are probably never gonna get it. by the way, you can only depreciate the eqiupment....not the land and building. so your 80 mil is way off...BUT whatever. When the day comes that ANY newspaper shuts down because they couldn't make a go of the internet site it will likely be when most of us are gone....as i said earlier, newspapers are already seeing sales declines in internet revenues.....and in the sum of things you're talking about pennies VS dollars.... POPS or no POPS. I have one last question: If pop up ads are so the death rattle for newspapers then why on a site like this ( Hawaii Threads) with access to so many do you only hear from the same 6 or 7 people?? I'm guessing if the SB received thousands of complaints it might get their attention.....again...I doubt that very much.

Comment

I stated "not to mention depreciation."
                        It's called cost segregation. Using this method, buyers view a real estate acquisition as consisting not only of land and buildings but also tangible personal property and land improvements. The tax savings come from accelerated depreciation deductions and easier property write-offs. A taxpayer can use cost segregation when constructing a building, buying an existing one, or, in certain circumstances, years after disposing of one so long as the year of disposition still is open under the statute of limitations.
                        The recovery period can range from 5 -39 years, and now section 179 of the tax code is even less strigent with the recently passed stimulus package.
                        There are many more charges the company can take as well.

Believe me I get it! I've been doing this for a long time. I'm not implying that the Unions or the workers got duped or anything, its all above board. That's how business is done and why good accounting firms get $450 a hour.

If you own a business, land and buildings you'd get it too, but let's not get tied up in tax code minutiae.

I am one of the customers that spends many thousands of dollars with both papers, and I'm simply stating my displeasure with the Star Bulletin. I, and even people who don't advertise in the paper have that right.

The Star Bulletin isn't ready to take off the pop ups because even it they only represents 3 to 8% of its revenue, they still need every penny to continue to survive. I get that too, but I still have a right to complain.

Comment

Oh yeah, just to belabor my point, I'd bet when the unions went over the Advertiser's books there were huge impairment charges for "goodwill."

Goodwill is very hard to define because they are intangible assets and have "intrinsic value, such as a strong brand name, good customer relations, good employee relations and any patents or proprietary technology.

It is easy to say those lost whatever value a company wants to assign (millions).
                          Gannett would spread this charge over all of its various operating units.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            Just for the record, no one here emailed or PM me about some of the earlier posts in the revival of this thread.
                            Well, just for the record, some of us users thought that moderators were reading every post. While that's not the practice on every discussion board, it's certainly that way on the vast majority.

The vBulletin "report post" link may seem like just one more unecessary bell & whistle, but if moderators aren't going to be on the spot within a few hours then maybe the link would make it easier to notify the management. But I guess we could also try retraining every poster... one at a time.

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            There is another thread in the Hawaii Internet section that addressed the same issues regarding the pop ups.
                            Several months later the issue pops up again. Clearly some readers of the site are not happy.
                            Since the pop ups are still an issue, several things I have done.
                            1. I don't go to the main site page and links as often as I used to.
                            2. I use the mobile site which so far is text only with some pictures but no pop ups. In fact the mobile site has no ads.
                            3. When I link to certain S-B stories, I now link to the mobile site to spare readers from the wrath of the pop-ups.
                            4. Since S-B is still forcing readers to pop-up ads, I have voted with my feet and read news and blogs from other online sources.
                            5. Lastly there are several places where you can get the paper edition of S-B of the low price of "free" (one of them is Burger King).
                            I understand that popups are annoying-- no issue there.

But what I don't understand is how they're getting through popup blockers, HOSTS files, or whatever filters that IE6 provides. My browser is probably among the least sophisticated (certainly the least stable) hunks of software on a computer, but I've never seen a S-B popup ad. I never even see an ad on sites that insist on showing you something before you're allowed to proceed to their main web page.

If S-B's not going to change their annoying marketing tactics, then what setting could other readers apply to these annoyances?
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                              Well, just for the record, some of us users thought that moderators were reading every post. While that's not the practice on every discussion board, it's certainly that way on the vast majority.

The vBulletin "report post" link may seem like just one more unecessary bell & whistle, but if moderators aren't going to be on the spot within a few hours then maybe the link would make it easier to notify the management. But I guess we could also try retraining every poster... one at a time.
                              I used "Contact us" to send a note to Admin which got a very quick response in the thread. But apparently he didn't pass the message.

I don't see anything where I'm supposed to know that I have to PM a particular moderator depending on the section.

As far as I'm concerned, the process is broken. The board I moderate has the icon, and it triggers a email to the moderators. It may only do it to those who moderate that section.

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                              But what I don't understand is how they're getting through popup blockers, HOSTS files, or whatever filters that IE6 provides. My browser is probably among the least sophisticated (certainly the least stable) hunks of software on a computer, but I've never seen a S-B popup ad. I never even see an ad on sites that insist on showing you something before you're allowed to proceed to their main web page.
                              It's Flash. If you don't have Flash installed or enabled, then it can't do it's annoying thing. (And why are you still on IE6? Running Win2000?)

Ran across an interesting piece on Slate - Not All Information Wants To Be Free

Comment

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
                                When the day comes that ANY newspaper shuts down because they couldn't make a go of the internet site it will likely be when most of us are gone....
                                That day is coming faster than you think. The Christian Science Monitor no longer has a print edition. Other newspapers might follow down that path, too.

The newspaper industry has to change its along with the way its readers are changing.

Comment

Working...
                                X