Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    Which is maybe once a year as long go online at least once every three days (with RR at least).
    And works for one location. It may work for some people, but not all. Maybe not even most.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      It's Flash. If you don't have Flash installed or enabled, then it can't do it's annoying thing. (And why are you still on IE6? Running Win2000?)
      Odd... I'm pretty sure I have Flash running, but maybe I've put the S-B on restriction. Can't remember.

I try to avoid upgrading unless it really becomes an issue. I have too many things I'd rather be doing (or at least avoiding) to tinker with IE, FF, Safari... one day this HP Compaq Presario will crap out and I'll move it all over to our Mac Mini.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

And works for one location. It may work for some people, but not all. Maybe not even most.
        I've had the same IP address since September (the last time I upgraded my router's firmware). Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to live in more than one location. But I'd like to think I'm like most people that way.

Tip: If anyone has an old Toshiba cable modem from Oceanic, trade it in for the latest model. The Toshibas are known to randomly drop their connection to the cloud (and yes, that would likely thwart efforts to hold on to a particular IP address).
        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
          Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to live in more than one location. But I'd like to think I'm like most people that way.
          And if their primary computer is a laptop that they take with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
            Oh yeah, just to belabor my point, I'd bet when the unions went over the Advertiser's books there were huge impairment charges for "goodwill."

Goodwill is very hard to define because they are intangible assets and have "intrinsic value, such as a strong brand name, good customer relations, good employee relations and any patents or proprietary technology.

It is easy to say those lost whatever value a company wants to assign (millions).
            Gannett would spread this charge over all of its various operating units.
            So, 808 golfer, still think I just don't get it?
            You can bet Gannett has twice as much of impairment charges spread over its various operating units and on the Advertisers' books

"Black Press Ltd., the owner of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, will likely record an impairment loss related to the economic and structural challenges facing its U.S. newspapers."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...03/90226088/-1

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
              So, 808 golfer, still think I just don't get it?
              You can bet Gannett has twice as much of impairment charges spread over its various operating units and on the Advertisers' books

"Black Press Ltd., the owner of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, will likely record an impairment loss related to the economic and structural challenges facing its U.S. newspapers."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...03/90226088/-1
              nice try at the pat on your own back...BUT GCI wrote down the value (impairment charge) of their company in the neighborhood of 5 BILLION well over a couple of months ago. No big deal. All newspaper companies have done something similar over the last 12 months. But yeah, to answer your question, I don't think you get it. The newspaper Guild brought in a newspaper accounting expert from the mainland who looks at books on a routine basis throughout the country.You are evidently suggesting that only YOU are smart enough to know how a company might "hide" profits and this "good will" thing is only known by you.....give me a break. I'm sure the union auditor was quite capable and keenly aware of possible loopholes.

Comment

I'm not saying I'm the only one smart enough to see these "loop holes." You don't think some of those billions were put on the Advertsers' books?
                Impairment charges are all above board, and since the union can't say what they saw on the books there's really no point in arguing.
                I just maintain that the Advertiser didn't all of a sudden go into the red this year because of a slowdown in advertising revenue.

Under Mike Fisch the Advertiser was the most profitable paper in the company. He won a Gannett Presidents Ring less than two years ago for outstanding achievement and financial success, and Jason Taylor, former VP of Advertising & Marketing, won the Chairman's Award as the top advertising executive of all of Gannett. He also won a President's Ring for outstanding achievement and finished first among advertising executives at the company's 90 daily newspapers.

I may well be wrong, and I'm not genius, but I do understand accounting. It is very easy to show a legitimate loss on the books.
                The union auditor, using the generally accepted rules of accounting very easily would agree that the company was losing money with all the write downs and charges Gannett has.

It's important to remember that Gannett isn't broke, it's just making less money. What was the union suppose to do. They had no contract, the parent company was instituting company wide layoffs. There was no bargaining power. Gannett is very well known in the industry as a "union buster."
                Ask anyone who worked at the paper in Guam about that.

But then again, you seem to know it all anyway.

Comment

Can we keep the topic focused on the Star-Bulletin website.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    Can we keep the topic focused on the Star-Bulletin website.
                    I agree with you Mel. The POPS were more fun to talk about anyway....and oh by the way...The "HNA" was the most profitable in Gannett (8 years ago), not the Advertiser...that all went away when HNA stopped and the Tizer and SB began their seperate lifes...

Comment

One of the news-yap channels was talking about the death of newspapers because "kids today prefer getting their news online."

Sigh. Where do they think that online news comes from?
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I thought news write themselves and automatically appear on Teleprompters.

Comment

Mahalo to everyone who suggested using the mobile version of the S-B's website... much better!
                          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                            Mahalo to everyone who suggested using the mobile version of the S-B's website... much better!
                            Ditto from me. What a joy! But... if too many of us admit to that, maybe they'll close it down and force us back to the ad-monster version.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                              One of the news-yap channels was talking about the death of newspapers because "kids today prefer getting their news online."

Sigh. Where do they think that online news comes from?
                              The Rocky Mountain News printed it's last paper. The San Francisco Chronicle is on the rocks. The mighty are falling.

Comment

And if their primary computer is a laptop that they take with them?

if you're errr...mobile...then use the mobile website.

if ads are such a hindrance to enjoying your internet experience do what i do: use the mobile version of a website whenever it's available. in fact, bookmark the mobile version for any website you read with any frequency. more often than not, there are either no ads or significantly fewer ads, esp of the pop up or get in your way variety.
                                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                                X