Star-Bulletin on the Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin Website Update

Here's a new one. Clicking on story links takes you to the pop-up advertiser!
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I, too, would pay for the SB if a pro account would (a) eliminate all ads once I was logged in, (b) provide more content, such as the Sunday NYT crossword and the daily comics, and (c) allow me to customize my page view so that the stuff I'm interested in most would show up at the front. I don't really need (c), but it would be nice. Otherwise, if I'm just paying for the same content, I prefer to pick it up at the corner. I still prefer the print version anyway.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Anyone know of a flash browser plugin that can block flash from specific websites?
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          Anyone know of a flash browser plugin that can block flash from specific websites?
          Well, if it's from specific site, in old school method is to alter your HOSTS file so that domain gets routed to 127.0.0.1.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            Here's a new one. Clicking on story links takes you to the pop-up advertiser!
            Way ahead of you, Burl. Now voting in the online poll takes you to the pop-up advertiser! I’m guessing we’re nearing the saturation point. Maybe it’s all a scheme by tutusue and her Apple friends to get people to buy a Mac™? (I remember former SB writer Rod Antone and his cute little company Macbook. Couldn’t connect half the time, but he loved that little machine. )

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              work: Mac OS X, Sarfari (don't remember the version)
              Sarfari 3.1.2 and Mac OS X (10.5.5).

Also when I tried the Star Bulletin site from work today no pop up ads have been coming up for the last 5 or 6 articles that I have read today.

Comment

The mobile edition does not include all of the photos that were included in the print or regular online edition of the original article/column.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  Also when I tried the Star Bulletin site from work today no pop up ads have been coming up for the last 5 or 6 articles that I have read today.
                  That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work! After you -- actually, your computer -- accesses a popup once, it's supposed to go away.

One of the webdudes tells me that the popups are buggy, but they're keeping track of the various issues and are busy fixing things.

If they help keep the paper alive through this recession, I'm not complaining.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                    If they help keep the paper alive through this recession, I'm not complaining.
                    Well --- you're on the provider side of the equations, Burl, not the user side; it would be rather ... shall we say, "unexpected" for you to complain?

But you might also be unintentionally implying that such an advertising activity is temporary, and would be eliminated post-recession - which I think most users would doubt.

It's a tough world. Not everything that has to be tried will be popular. I'm sure your web-sters will take note and try to find that middle ground.

Comment

Everyone's been trained to expect free content! The real irony is that the online free content providers depend on the same news sources they're putting out of business.

Maybe Google will be forced one day to create their own news bureau ... but that would be investing in their own product!
                      Burl Burlingame
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        Well, if it's from specific site, in old school method is to alter your HOSTS file so that domain gets routed to 127.0.0.1.
                        Or download a typical HOSTS.TXT file. Whatever's on the Star-Bulletin's site, either my HOSTS file or my Windows IE6 popup blocker has taken care of it.
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I have no idea what a HOSTS.TXT file is but now that it is being mentioned with Windows and IE6, then it may be no good for people with Macs. Anyone know of a Macintosh solution to block flash content from certain sites like StarBulletin.com?
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            I have no idea what a HOSTS.TXT file is but now that it is being mentioned with Windows and IE6, then it may be no good for people with Macs. Anyone know of a Macintosh solution to block flash content from certain sites like StarBulletin.com?
                            Wait, you’re using a mac™ and you’re getting this problem?! Wow. Helen was giving the impression that it was a PC-based quirk, but I guess that theory is shattered at this point.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Yep, getting the flash pop ups with Firefox for the Mac. I have screenshots.

Also shows up in Safari.
                              Last edited by mel; December 9, 2008, 06:22 AM.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Doesn't anyone realize that these "annoying pop-ups" are a small price to pay for the SB content that everyone seems to crave?

Does anyone care?

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Be grateful there's anything to read, period.

Comment

Working...
                                X