Star-Bulletin on the Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin Website Update

It's not the annoying pop-ups that is the problem, but rather it's the "close ad" button that doesn't work well.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      It's not the annoying pop-ups that is the problem, but rather it's the "close ad" button that doesn't work well.
      Exactly, helen. I think don’t think dick is giving us enough credit. We know the ads are necessary. Just give a way to close them, as they obscure the content from being read. Surely censorship is not the goal of SB.

On a happier note, I was finally able to vote in the online poll. No pop-up ad prevented me from doing so when I used Windows XP Professional (SP3), and the latest version of Firefox (3.0.4). Don’t know if my setup was the cause, or perhaps, the powers that be are realizing the error of their ways.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
        Doesn't anyone realize that these "annoying pop-ups" are a small price to pay for the SB content that everyone seems to crave?
        I'm OK with ads. I'm not OK with ads that cover the content. In my book that's a sign of a site that's starting to circle the drain.

Originally posted by mel View Post
        I have no idea what a HOSTS.TXT file is but now that it is being mentioned with Windows and IE6, then it may be no good for people with Macs.
        Depends on if Macs follows the standards. It's something Windows stole from Unix. And it's independent of the browser.

When a computer attempts to resolve the host name to an IP address, it will first check the HOSTS file. If it finds it there, it will use that one. So if you tell your computer that annoyingads.com is at 127.0.0.1, it will be directed back to itself and will be completely unable to talk to the real annoyingads.com.

To edit the HOSTS file on a mac, a quick google suggested this site

Comment

Shocking! The strongest defenders of this ad policy are ... S-B employees!

Can you blame 'em? They are in an important business that is bleeding heavily, because their business model no longer works in today's media environment.

It's got to be frightening. Those of us who are still old-school enough to love having print in our hands are concerned as well, and we don't have the answers either. But it certainly doesn't sound like this was a particularly well-handled step.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            But it certainly doesn't sound like this was a particularly well-handled step.
            It's a step that's still in process, and the tweaking is continuous. The comments from you guys have been passed on and you're being listened to. Except for TuNnL. (Just kidding!)
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I wonder why the mobile edition of the site is not updated today. All the links still point to content from YESTERDAY's paper.... which to me is just as good as virtual fish wrap.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Maybe they forgot. Or maybe they realized it was taking too many eyeballs away from the ads, and like other websites they're implementing a delay? I hope it's the former.

Comment

This morning's mobile edition is up to date with the regular edition. They're probably short on staff on Saturday or simply forgot to update the page. I would think however that the mobile edition would update automatically when they do the regular online version.

I know this website has a self-updating mobile/text only version.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I wonder why the mobile edition of the site is not updated today. All the links still point to content from YESTERDAY's paper.... which to me is just as good as virtual fish wrap.
                    Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    Maybe they forgot. Or maybe they realized it was taking too many eyeballs away from the ads, and like other websites they're implementing a delay? I hope it's the former.
                    This morning's mobile edition is up to date with the regular edition. They're probably short on staff on Saturday or simply forgot to update the page. I would think however that the mobile edition would update automatically when they do the regular online version.

I know this website has a self-updating mobile/text only version.
                    anytime that happens to me on my blackberry, i just type in "?1234" after the url. *shrug*
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

The Star Bulletin Web site has made an annoying change - wen you go to the home page, the "Today's Edition" complete list of all the day's stories does not appear. You need to go one or two clicks deeper to find it.

I always thought this was one of the great things that distinguished the SB site from the other guys - easy to do a quick scan of all the day's items.

Any chance of it reappearing (to the SB folks out there...)?

Comment

I noticed the same thing over the past couple of days and I agree that it's annoying. It's causing me to check their website less frequently, that's for sure.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

That and the "pop down" ads across news stories may kill its usefulness.

Comment

Has no one noticed it now has AP and international news?
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

The complete list of all the day's stories not appearing right away, and those annoying pop-up ads probably stopped a lot of people from noticing much more than the headlines from all the local tv stations and the Advertiser being added to the website.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                                Has no one noticed it now has AP and international news?
                                Do people even want that on a local newspaper site? It seems strange to me as you can go to CNN.com or even Google News.

Comment

Working...
                                X