Star-Bulletin on the Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

Agree. Why do we want AP and international news on the Star Bulletin site? Just adds to the clutter.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
      Has no one noticed it now has AP and international news?
      Originally posted by Kimo View Post
      Agree. Why do we want AP and international news on the Star Bulletin site? Just adds to the clutter.
      The only reason I read the S-B's website is because Google & Reuters don't have local news.

I don't care whether the S-B is carrying AP, international, or intergalactic news. I read it for local stuff. If they make it any harder to find, I'll end up reading Ian Lind's blog for the rest of my life...
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
        The Star Bulletin Web site has made an annoying change - wen you go to the home page, the "Today's Edition" complete list of all the day's stories does not appear. You need to go one or two clicks deeper to find it.

I always thought this was one of the great things that distinguished the SB site from the other guys - easy to do a quick scan of all the day's items.

Any chance of it reappearing (to the SB folks out there...)?
        Ditto. Make it hard for people to find your basic, central content, and they won't come back.

Comment

The pop up ad is a small price to pay when the site is free.

Comment

You don't HAVE to piss off your customers to make money. I guarantee you, I will NEVER patronize ANYONE who pays money for such intrusive advertising.

Case in point: last election, two BOE candidates spent a ton of money on those stupid pop-down ads. I refused to vote for either, no matter their feelings or positions on real issues associated with the office. I would not give either of them any consideration at all, solely based on their tolerance for such intrusive advertising.

I don't know if either of them won. I don't care. I did not vote for either of them.

I want to know when the newspapers are going to figure out that the advertising businessmen have run their legitimate, honest news products into the ground. I want to know when it's time for the journalists to have a chance at running a newspaper.

The ad guys have all but killed newspapers, already. Give the other guys a chance.
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
              You don't HAVE to piss off your customers to make money. I guarantee you, I will NEVER patronize ANYONE who pays money for such intrusive advertising.

Case in point: last election, two BOE candidates spent a ton of money on those stupid pop-down ads. I refused to vote for either, no matter their feelings or positions on real issues associated with the office. I would not give either of them any consideration at all, solely based on their tolerance for such intrusive advertising.

I don't know if either of them won. I don't care. I did not vote for either of them.

I want to know when the newspapers are going to figure out that the advertising businessmen have run their legitimate, honest news products into the ground. I want to know when it's time for the journalists to have a chance at running a newspaper.

The ad guys have all but killed newspapers, already. Give the other guys a chance.
              Well....ya goof...nice that you are so informed on what is happening in your community. Uhhhh...let's see...how did both candidates do?? Oh....but wait....YOU DONT CARE. Well anyway, they both WON!!! BOTH were relatively unknowns and they won....despite goofballs like you not voting for an education candidate that wants to volunteer their time to help our children. That's right. You're an idiot. You care so much about your 1 and a half second close button on a pop up ad that you decided to tune out what they had to say because of it. Nice....no really. The 5 or 6 of you that just keep bitching about the pop ups is getting quite old....did you notice that more and more are appearing??? I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that the advertising is working....just a wild ass guess. I have a question for all of you. Do you ever have ANYTHING positive to say about anything??? Look at 90% of all posts and they are all bitching about one thing or another. Sad.... but really really true. Human nature 101...bitch first....think later. Oh wait....if you pass away then you say nice things. Bottom line: Gather up all the pop up ad complainers and ask them just how much they are contributing to the expense of gathering the local content they so desire and compare that to the dollars paid for the pop ups....here's a guess: ZERO to a lot. You pay nothing, but yet you insist on keep telling everyone that you are taking your FREE BUSINESS elsewhere.....I'm thinking the SB wont miss you but I'm sure you wont ba able to resist checking in from time to time....gotta get that bitch fix....
              Finally, did you know that NONE of the daily papers in Hawaii are ran by your so called "ads guys"?? Of course you didn't....but what the hell...just say it so it is so....

Comment

Point was I really didn't give a shit if they won or not.

I registered my displeasure with their campaigns by not voting for them. And I let them know, individually, of my feelings.

Whatever. I had my say. If I didn't "win" the war, who cares? I had my say. Can't win them all.

Oh, and go fuck yourself, asshole.

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
                Finally, did you know that NONE of the daily papers in Hawaii are ran by your so called "ads guys"?? Of course you didn't....but what the hell...just say it so it is so....
                Really? Who is the Publisher at the Star-Bulletin?
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                  Really? Who is the Publisher at the Star-Bulletin?
                  Whoa!! hahahaha!!! I call you a goof and you call me a fucking asshole!! hahahaha!!! Nice. Really. anyway....I'll be honest, I have no idea what the work experience is for any of the daily paper publishers! But I thought I'd take a crack at being like you and just make shit up and pretend I actually knew what i was talking about....but hey, I'm sorry I poked my head into your little private party blasting the daily newspaper for trying to make money and survive. Now put down your tv dinner and go back to watchin your late nite cable. Peace...really. Just having fun...no hard feelings.

Comment

Actually, 808 Golfer is correct.

Lee Webber, publisher of the Advertiser, was never in sales in his 30-plus years in Guam. His background is in operations. He was a Marketing Director at one time, but that's not selling advertising.

Dennis Francis, publisher of the Star Bulletin, comes from a circulation background, not advertising/sales.

Comment

• Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

Hey, moderators, admins, how 'bout taking a look at the language & sentiments in posts 37-40. These guys don't appear to be interesting in moderating themselves, so perhaps you could help them out. We can get that stuff anytime on the S-B's website comments, and there's no need for it here.

And where's the vBulletin "report post to moderator" button on this board?!?
                      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

i am confident the following two gentlemen at the SB would be glad to take any comments you have about the website:

frank bridgewater, editor: fbridgewater@starbulletin.com
                        rob myers, online director: rmyers@starbulletin.com

i know for a fact that mr. myers, in particular, is known for answering quite a lot of reader email directly and fairly promptly.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                          Hey, moderators, admins, how 'bout taking a look at the language & sentiments in posts 37-40. [...] And where's the vBulletin "report post to moderator" button on this board?!?
                          Ditto and ditto.

Comment

There are many ways to contact me, or Mel, who moderates the "Hawaii Media" section of this forum, and ways to "report" posts or threads. But as members, you can certainly also encourage your fellow members to mind their manners directly and help them back onto the right path. That's what a community does. If any "official action" needs to be taken, it'll be by Mel. Thanks!

Comment

808Golfer...

Before you start calling ZZType an idiot, you'd better be aware of his background.

Guess who created Starbulletin.com and ran it single-handedly without a day of vacation for the first two years?

If anyone has real-world knowledge about news media content on the web, he does.

Comment

For complaints regarding the pop-up ads, send complaints directly to Dennis Francis.

Frank Bridgewater is the editor, and advertising isn't his kuleana. Complaining to Frank about the pop-up ads is like complaining to the chef about problems with the parking valet.

Comment

Working...
                                X