Hawaiian Music Grammy Nominees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Music Grammy Nominees

That piece was just the first in a week-long series individually profiling the nominees. Today brings us the curious compilation album of slack-key guitar by Charles Brotman. He notes the difference between what people in Hawaii generally prefer, and what tastes on the Mainland lean toward.
    "Slack key is very, very popular on the mainland," he said. "The fans are loyal to the music and could see this as an opportunity to reward their music of choice." So while the Cazimeros and Reichel appear to be the favorites in the contest, Brotman's CD, made with 10 other notable Hawaii guitarists, is the dark horse... "If the (final) voting had been done in Hawaii, we probably would not have made the ballot," Brotman said. "But on the mainland it's a different ball game, so I think the playing field now is pretty even, though we're not the big Hawaii superstars."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Today brings us the curious compilation album of slack-key guitar (etc)
      Mind if I ask why you called it a "curious" album?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        Mind if I ask why you called it a "curious" album?
        Well, because it's a compilation album. I think zztype had the same question above. Not unheard of, but unusual. I'm wondering, come to think of it, whether now every artist on that disc can market themselves as "Grammy Nominated"!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Well, because it's a compilation album.
          Okay, thanks for the explanation. I actually found it "curious" too since compilation albums are usually under the heading of, well, Best Compilation Album.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm posting all the articles from the papers on my site on one page so if you wanna read all the scoop.

www.dannycouchfanaddicts.com/grammy2.htm

Only Three days to go.

Comment

Yay! National Public Radio had a segment this morning on the new Hawaiian music category at the Grammy's. They've posted a short article on their website, featuring audio selections from Keali`i Reichel and a couple of photos, and a link to listen to the piece by Wilma Consul.

They interviewed only Reichel and the Honolulu Advertiser's Derek Paiva. Consul led off with Don Ho and Elvis Presley as examples of what people think Hawaiian music is, noting that "hapa haole" means "half foreign." Of the nominees' music featured, again, it was only Reichel, and Consul started with what was probably (for NPR folks) one of Reichel's lesser "grokkable" pieces (a chant set to a hip-hop-esque beat). But, the narrative was good, and the other Reichel pieces were very accessible, and I could imagine NPR listeners in colder climes getting warm fuzzy feelings.

Good stuff. I hope the Hawaiian category is "novel" enough to merit even more press, if not actual screen time during the actual awards show.

Comment

They are all WINNERS! However, like most Hawaiian Music Lovers I have my favorite...Robert and Roland Caz. Robert called MAMA before he left yesterday, as he always does for other travels. GO! CAZ'S We'll all be watching...at the edge of our seats!
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Wow. Today is our day in the spotlight. The BBC World Service radio news program also did a segment on the new Hawaiian Music category at the Grammies. (Grammys?) Here's the brief online article. Sadly, they don't archive their audio streams as intuitively as NPR does, so I don't know how to link to the radio segment. It's somewhere buried in here, I think.

Comment

I heard a report on NPR which mentioned the nominees, including Amy "and her guitarist, Willie K".

[cough, splutter]

KHPR, in a local version, fortunately got it the other way around and gave Willie top place.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                      I heard a report on NPR which mentioned the nominees, including Amy "and her guitarist, Willie K".

[cough, splutter]

KHPR, in a local version, fortunately got it the other way around and gave Willie top place.
                      Finally, somebody got it right! APPLAUSE!

Comment

The LA Times has an article this morning. Use BugMeNot for access.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...i13feb13.story
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

A neat article, but one that is built to backfire, since it focuses just as strongly on the "too many categories" criticism the awards receive. And while I love Mountain Apple, I think Leah Bernstein could have been a little more gracious:
                          "Lawrence Welk is dead — do we need a polka category?" asked Leah Bernstein, an executive at the most powerful Honolulu label, Mountain Apple Records, which has current or past connections to all five nominees in the category. "It was very disappointing when the Native American category was added a few years ago. Nothing against that music or those artists, but that was pretty hard to take."
                          I heard an NPR segment on the polka category earlier this week, and it was interesting, a peek into a genre that not too many think about. I'm pretty sure most people could say the same thing about Hawaiian. I'm sure the polka folks could make digs at Don Ho, and the Native American folks could make a case for Hawaiian being part of their category... but as far as I can tell, most everyone is happy for us, as they should be. Why whine on a day of such positive achievement?

Comment

And the winner of the Shammy is....

Category 69

Best Hawaiian Music Album
                            (Vocal or Instrumental.)

Slack Key Guitar Volume 2
                            Various Artists
                            Charles Michael Brotman, producer
                            [Palm Records]

Comment

Booooo! I can't believe that the "sampler" won. They shouldn't even have allowed it in the category. Oh, well.
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Sorry, but I couldn't find anything that came close to what I want to ask, except this one of The Grammys...did anyone notice how many times Alicia Keys waste precious seconds on the word 'REALLY"? I counted four. My small 8 yr.old nephew said, "I hate when someone looks like their chewing gum and they don't have any in their mouth!" He was referring to Alicia Key's Manager the Big Guy...my home is filled with family rooting for Robert and Roland still waiting for the Hawaiian catagory.

Ooops....!
                                Last edited by 1stwahine; February 13, 2005, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X