Tora Tora Tora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tora Tora Tora

Started watching some of that while ago and was shocked to see the white cross from Kole Kole in the movie. Found that it was done in 70 so it wasnt as old as the filming made it look but then i got to thinking about how they filmed that. Hawaii would have been hot then for tourist travel. And if the Pearl Harbor memorial was already there like the cross, how did they cover it up in order to shoot the movie. Why didnt they cover the cross somehow? Hhhmmmm..........
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: Tora Tora Tora

My brother was an insatiable scholar of World War II when he was in high school, and he watched this movie several times. In the film, in one scene, a plantation home (schoolhouse?) burns down... and it was a real structure that my grandmother, who was put into the Tule Lake Internment Camp, recognized. It made her cry.

Today's a good day to remember that film, and Pearl Harbor. I should note that as much as my brother liked Tora! Tora! Tora! he much preferred, from a war strategy standpoint, Midway.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Today's a good day to remember that film, and Pearl Harbor. I should note that as much as my brother liked Tora! Tora! Tora! he much preferred, from a war strategy standpoint, Midway.

Midway and Tora... seen em many times. Watched them film part of tora.

Did you recognize Jerry Cox on Tora, when he answers the kolekole pass rader guys calling in when they spot the planes?
      jerry was "super spy" and alotta other characters on Checkers and Pogo Poge...
      So many other actors in this that we also saw on Hawaii 5-0, too.

and another not too shabby rendition was "Pearl" with robt wagner and angie dickensen and that guy who played McCloud; Dennis Weaver. It was a looong tv miniseries. Taped it off the telly years ago. They used clips from Tora to help the attack segment along.
      Last edited by kimo55; December 14, 2004, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I purchased the DVD a few months ago with some other World War II themed movies. While I initially saw the movie on network TV many years ago, there are parts I just don't remember but I got them refreshed when I watched the DVD this past Saturday.

Comment

What about the comparison between Tora Tora Tora and Pearl Harbor ?

Many say the movie Pearl Harbor (with Ben Affleck, Josh Hartnett) is "A love story interrupted by a war". Just like the movie Titanic is "A love story interrupted by sinking ship". I'd have to agree. Pearl Harbor is a bit too "Hollywood".

Tora Tora Tora was much more realistic and ahead of its time for a film made in 1970. Especially when it comes to cinematography.

In Pearl Harbor, the attack scene looked more like a scene out of Star Wars - except with Mistubishi Zeros instead of X-Wing fighters. Thank CGI freedom for that. Although they did use some actual flight scenes, in which one crashed on the set from clipping a prop tower. The stunt pilot wasn't hurt.

One scene I thought Pearl Harbor had over Tora Tora Tora was the Doolittle B-25 raid on Tokyo. Although loosely done, it was intense and gave the ending a bit more climax.

Still, I'd buy both of those DVD's as each offer their own contributions to this historic event.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
          X