Paying for meals on flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying for meals on flights

It is inevitable that all the carriers who fly between the Mainland and Hawai'i will start charging for meals (like the stuff they serve for free is "gourmet" anyway in steerage), but I have to smile when I think of what this will do on flights going from Hawai'i and the Mainland.

Locals and expats sitting in coach, munching on manapua, adobo, sushi, anykine, the smells wafting through the ventilation system. Ho, da passenger compartment going smell soooo onolicious!

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln01p.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Paying for meals on flights

If a family is traveling together, then everyone might bring their own food, and before you know it, there'll be a potluck on the airplane. All you need is some music and table.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Same here, I don't care much for the food served on those flights.

On our way back home from Hawaii to CA, we usually pick up some bentos and eat them later while on the plane.

Suffice it to say, we do attract a few jealous people. I'd be too if I were them...

Comment

I imagine flights out of Hawaii turning into one, giant pot-luck picnic at 35,000 feet. I suppose tourists would be a bit put off by the overwhelming smell of char siu and kim chee...

Comment

Spam Musubi can start smelling preety bad afta a couple of hours on the plane.
          live aloha

Comment

Nevamind. If people no like da hauna smell, dey can go complain to da airline companies who are trying to get $5 for one cold sandwich! Wat da airlines going do? Have rules for da kine grinds you can bring on board da plane?? I can see it now: "Rules for carry on food aboard flights between Hawai'i and the Mainland: Kim chee, manapua, takuan, adobo, and anything that smells like local food cannot be consumed while in flight for the comfort of other passengers..." sheesh

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Eh Tita Lynn:
              I get one idea for you and Mama dat going keep you out of trouble and let you meet all kine kanes ...Go set up one bento stand in da Honolulu International Airport (by where all da Mainland flights arrive and depart). Go sell spam musubi, manapua, malasadas, all dakine local "finger foods". Garans you going get customers!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                I imagine flights out of Hawaii turning into one, giant pot-luck picnic at 35,000 feet. I suppose tourists would be a bit put off by the overwhelming smell of char siu and kim chee...
                I didn't think char siu had that much of an overwhelming smell.

Comment

Like movie theaters and other on-ground eateries, I can only predict that airlines will ban outside food from being carried into the cabin someday.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Hah! Mel, I can just see the airport security detectors going off now!

"Grab him! Security alert! He's got a bento!"
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Eh Tita Lynn:
                      I get one idea for you and Mama dat going keep you out of trouble and let you meet all kine kanes ...Go set up one bento stand in da Honolulu International Airport (by where all da Mainland flights arrive and depart). Go sell spam musubi, manapua, malasadas, all dakine local "finger foods". Garans you going get customers!

Miulang
                      I dunno how i wen miss dis one Miulang. good idea but wea I going get da permission? Isn't the concessions or booths all pre-contracted out lil' dat. i'm sure Chinatown would be releived if i wen busy myself sum place else, and hawai'i threads members would too.

Wait da minute, if Sole's can sell candies outside shopping centers and Illegal Pizza guys can go around neighborhoods and town selling pizzas for $ 5.00, and each, A Club selling hulihuli chicken without the proper health/fire requirements, etc. Maybe, MAMA and me can hang around near in da parking structure with our back trunk open with items to sell...of course properly prepared, kept and ONO!

or, I can advertise and deliver to customers at the airport. min. fee $10.00 includes food and delivery. no tip required. done with aloha and love!

hmm...I get to bring samples wen we go Vegas and let some give me feedback next week! good idea Miulang, thanks eh.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

First thing you should do is contact the Small Business Administration Office (federal) in Honolulu and ask them how you get started. Setting up a kiosk will probably mean getting some permits and buying the stand and probably more paperwork than you would like, but I bet the SBA even has money to loan to women trying to start their own business.

When I changed planes at HNL to go to Maui the other week, the interisland terminal only had a burger, a pizza and a chinese takeout place. I got the manapua from the Chinese place, but it's this kind of kaukau locals would love to eat when they go to the mainland and I don't know if the International Terminal has anything like it. Most people get their bento before they go to the airport, so having something like this at reasonable prices would probably make lots of local people going to the Mainland happy (especially if they have to catch an early morning flight!)

Good luck!

Miulang

Comment

Tried contacting SBA but got this message "Data Base corrupted"...I had to laugh. What's new with Govt? ooops, didn't mean dat one. Seriously, I already know where the SBA is located, back in my old stumping grounds on Hotel Street at the Chinatown Gateway Building, 1st floor. I'll go there with some plans and what the business would entail and serve on Monday. Miulang, thanks...I'll let you know how this comes out.

I'm excited. Problem now is somebody else will jump in. No pilikia, mine would be better cause my food is made from love and not mass production. Plus, I goin' punch their face! Nah, joke.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                            Wait da minute, if Sole's can sell candies outside shopping centers and Illegal Pizza guys can go around neighborhoods and town selling pizzas for $ 5.00, and each, A Club selling hulihuli chicken without the proper health/fire requirements, etc. Maybe, MAMA and me can hang around near in da parking structure with our back trunk open with items to sell...of course properly prepared, kept and ONO!
                            Well, the airport is federal territory, so getting busted there is a significantly bigger problem than being chased away by mall rent-a-cops, or getting hassled by the county police. Vendors at the airport are very tightly controlled, some would say improperly so, but suffice it to say, food sales are one of the categories that they're particularly sensitive to... considering what legitimate vendors pay to be able to sell their stuff there (at exorbitantly high prices). Delivering food to the airport as a business would similarly run into trouble pretty quickly.

The SBA is a good place to start for general "starting a business" help, but sooner or later you're going to be directed to the state DOT. For example, here's the Honolulu International Airport "Business Information" page, which posts "Concession Notices" -- "notices for upcoming and/or current concession possibilities at Hawaii State Airports and are coordinated by the Airports Division's Property Management Section." Er... looks like there's a spot open in Hilo.

The Disadvantaged Business Enterprise program, however, might give a leg up to people "who are both socially and economically disadvantaged."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              Well, the airport is federal territory, so getting busted there is a significantly bigger problem than being chased away by mall rent-a-cops, or getting hassled by the county police. Vendors at the airport are very tightly controlled, some would say improperly so, but suffice it to say, food sales are one of the categories that they're particularly sensitive to... considering what legitimate vendors pay to be able to sell their stuff there (at exorbitantly high prices). Delivering food to the airport as a business would similarly run into trouble pretty quickly.

The SBA is a good place to start for general "starting a business" help, but sooner or later you're going to be directed to the state DOT. For example, here's the Honolulu International Airport "Business Information" page, which posts "Concession Notices" -- "notices for upcoming and/or current concession possibilities at Hawaii State Airports and are coordinated by the Airports Division's Property Management Section." Er... looks like there's a spot open in Hilo.

The Disadvantaged Business Enterprise program, however, might give a leg up to people "who are both socially and economically disadvantaged."
                              Mahalo's for the information! I asked my daughter to look into it for me cause I don't have the patience...all I know is my heart is in cooking and the concept Miulang suggested is a great idea. Too much hassles but I am interested. Nothing to lose, much to gain!

Comment

Working...
                              X