wanting to relocate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wanting to relocate

hey i'm 40 years old and I don't have to mark my teritory but I realize some of our youth still need to do this. I think it even be more of a issue of limitted space for good surf. I don't surf but I might like to try one day. When I was 14 I lived in Fort Ord California and my best friend was Somoen. He gave me a nick name ' Fia' he said it was because I allways want to do something and I usally do what I want in my heart. If it does'nt work out at least I won't have to say what if I moved to Hawaii how would it have been. Maybe I'll meet you guys and we'll have a beer. See ya

Comment

Originally posted by bigrodg1964
      Hey everybody Im from Columbus Ohio and Im thinking of relocating to Hawaii . I've been trying to get info on affordalbe housing. I know there has got to be places for the working man to live. If anyone can lead me in the right direction it would be apreciated.
      You could always stay at the Royal Grove for about 260 a week til your on your feet, lol
      If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
        You could always stay at the Royal Grove for about 260 a week til your on your feet, lol
        Sorry about your football team I was hoping oklahoma would when. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Hawaii is a beautiful place to live. Nice beaches and great schools too. just incase you have your children i want to give you a piece of advice. I want to share this piece of information as my brother told my husband and me about it. It gives us great assistance as we move in Hawaii. I know how hard to transfer from one place to another and being a complete stranger to the place makes you feel insecure to where your children attend their schooling. Try this Hawaii Schools and I hope this can help you.

Comment

bigrod-which island are you moving to? what kind of occupation are you in?
            i am an Emergency Room RN moving to Kauai (where my ohana stay), sometimes in Jan/Feb timeframe! ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHA!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              (They say Seattle gives itself a bad weather rap on purpose, just to keep Californians from moving north!)
              Shush!!! Don't blow it for us in Seattle - or we'll all move to Hawai`i! And we'll move next door to you, complain about high prices, take over the beaches, and tell how we do it all so much better on the Mainland!

Oh - wait --- that's already happening, isn't it?

Frankly, as much as I love Hawai`i, I am not ready to live there yet, but since my girlfriend is an only child from a Nikkeijin family, we know that we'll be back there someday to care for her parents - may they live a long and healthy life. Were I there now, I know I would get rock fever within two years and be itching to leave. Kane`ohe is a small enough town that she is also enjoying NOT being there, for the time being.

But since I know it's likely we'll end up there down the road, I have been taking the time to prepare, and not to come across as just another ignorant haole. For years now, I've been absorbing information on Hawaiian history, culture, music, spirituality, geography, language, etc. etc. etc. - as well as becoming actively involved with the Hawaiian community in the Pacific Northwest, an option you don't find so easily in other parts of the Mainland.

No matter how much I do, however, I'm also steeling myself for the reality that I will ALWAYS be an outsider and an ignorant haole to some Hawai`i residents. And they are right; I'll never truly be "of Hawai`i," nor will I pretend to be. But I will do as little damage as I can when I finally do arrive.

My advice is to do INTENSIVE research, and I do mean INTENSIVE. Learn as much as you can about where you are going to be; you are entering another American state, yes, but one that was once an independent kingdom, one with generations of non-American history and culture that you have to respect.

Comment

Just had lunch with a friend who is packing up and retiring to Lacey, WA. I haven't heard of the place, she showed us brochures of the home she's having built. She had been looking around for a "retirement" area for around 3 years, wanted to move to Vancouver WA. but homes in the area were too expensive.
                Happy for her but sort of sad that she's moving.
                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by hawiilito
                  Hawaii is a beautiful place to live. Nice beaches and great schools too.
                  Yeah, great schools all right! (Spoken by a parent who fluctuates between enrolling their child in private or public school according to just how bad the public school is "that grade" in their area.) Please read:
                  http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Oct/19/ln/FP510190349.html
                  "Hawai'i's elementary and middle public school students rank among the worst in the nation in math and reading, showing virtually no improvement from 2003, according to national test results released today."

And it is not that Hawaii doesn't put money towards the schools (Gov. Lingle said recently that we spend $10,000 per student /year in Hawaii), but SOMETHING IS DEFINITELY WRONG with our DOE. Sorry, I may be wandering off the thread's path a bit, but my eye sight got blurry when I read the sentence about our "great schools".

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                    Just had lunch with a friend who is packing up and retiring to Lacey, WA. I haven't heard of the place, she showed us brochures of the home she's having built. She had been looking around for a "retirement" area for around 3 years, wanted to move to Vancouver WA. but homes in the area were too expensive.
                    Happy for her but sort of sad that she's moving.
                    Lacey is considered a "bedroom community" of Olympia, the WA state capital. It's got a lot of amenities (like being about halfway between Seattle and Portland) while still being in the "sticks". I think she'll probably enjoy living there...there are 3 colleges in the general vicinity, so there will be lots of things to do.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

i gotta say.........thank God i am moving to Kauai and have no kids......my sister, a long time resident of Kauai, has a 17 year old son and his spelling and grammar are worse than mine was when i was 10 years old. no kidding. it is really sad.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiPrincess
                        i gotta say.........thank God i am moving to Kauai and have no kids......my sister, a long time resident of Kauai, has a 17 year old son and his spelling and grammar are worse than mine was when i was 10 years old. no kidding. it is really sad.
                        Hmm, did that sister on Kaua'i have a pet chicken by any chance?
                        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

yes jonah k, she does! lol! you know me from the other board!

Comment

Working...
                          X