Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you do with Vienna Sausage?

Originally posted by helen View Post
    The irony of it all is that my current stash is going to expire on Dec. 15, 2009. I was planning to open a cup of Easy Mac and then add today's can to that but it turns out all of the Easy Mac that I purchased in Summer or early Fall expired in October.
    In another thread, I mentioned having two cans of spam that were two years past the expiration date. We ate them -- no problemo. Depending on what it is, I don't bother worrying about expired canned goods.

Comment

We used to stuff the vienna sausage into those round kamaboko with the hole in the middle, slice it up and eat it as pupu. Ono you know!

Comment

I think Vienna Sausage is perfect as emergency food. Always keep a bunch of cans handy. When I do eat them, I usually just add shoyu and sugar (or Mirin). I also like them sliced in scrambled eggs, served over rice, with shoyu.

Comment

Send to PI, spam too (<=$1.50). Wen no can fish, dey grind.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Ugh. Here's what I do with Vienna Sausage -

Donate them to the nearest charity.
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              The irony of it all is that my current stash is going to expire on Dec. 15, 2009. I was planning to open a cup of Easy Mac and then add today's can to that but it turns out all of the Easy Mac that I purchased in Summer or early Fall expired in October.
              No worries, helen. Eat up! I rarely pay attention to expiration dates; I pay attention to my nose. If it is rancid or bad, you will know.

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
              saute chopped garlic & onion; add sliced vienna sausage & cook til it's close to your level of done. add chopped tomatoes & douse w/patis. you may add scrambled eggs to this if you want & cook til eggs to your liking or you can just work w/the vienna sausage sans eggs. either way, pile upon rice (add ketchup, tabasco, shoyu, whatever) & be happy that your tummy will shortly be satisfied.

the tomato, onion, garlic & patis treatment is called sarciado, if i'm not mistaken.

i also do vienna sausage kim chee stir fry.
              sounds good! I have never tried cooking with viennas!

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
              We used to stuff the vienna sausage into those round kamaboko with the hole in the middle, slice it up and eat it as pupu. Ono you know!
              I need to find that kamaboko.

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              I think Vienna Sausage is perfect as emergency food. Always keep a bunch of cans handy. When I do eat them, I usually just add shoyu and sugar (or Mirin). I also like them sliced in scrambled eggs, served over rice, with shoyu.

Yum! Sorry, TG, I am a great fan of canned meats. The only one I don't like is corned beef. (Oh, and low-sodium Spam and viennas, and the turkey version; another thread altogether.)

Comment

I hated VS as a child, and haven't had it since my early 20s. But, all this talk makes me want to buy a can and try it again.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                  I need to find that kamaboko.
                  It looks like this and can be found in most markets with the other kamaboko. It's called Chikuwa.

Last edited by helen; December 11, 2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

the irony with chicken vienna sausage, like the chicken version of kalua pork, is that the chicken iteration is higher in fat than the original, btw.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Anyone tried it with ogo bought from downtown?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Anyone tried it with ogo bought from downtown?
                        The preservatives from the Vi-eenas would do battle with any nasty ogo attackers and protect those who love the sausages!!

heheheh

BTW, thanks, D'Alani, I will look for it!
                        Last edited by cyleet99; December 13, 2009, 07:52 PM. Reason: adding thanks...

Comment

What do I do? Leave them on the shelf and keep on walking. Ew! However...Gerber's graduates has Turkey and Chicken sticks that are a lot like Vienna Sausages without all the gross fat. Just rinse them off after opening and mmm. Much better for you! And they taste better too.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Sometimes I will add a can of Vienna Sausage (as in just the sausages and not the water or the can itself) to a pot of either Hormel's chili or Dinty Moore's Beef Stew.

Comment

Reading through this old thread was really fun.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

A few days ago I had case of munchies and opening up a can of Vienna Sausage sort of helped.

So yeah I ate it plain out of the can after draining the water from the can.

I do plan on buying another case of Vienna Sausage once my current stash runs out.

Comment

Working...
                                X