Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you do with Vienna Sausage?

Default Re: What do you do with Vienna Sausage?

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    The irony of it all is that my current stash is going to expire on Dec. 15, 2009. I was planning to open a cup of Easy Mac and then add today's can to that but it turns out all of the Easy Mac that I purchased in Summer or early Fall expired in October.
    No worries, helen. Eat up! I rarely pay attention to expiration dates; I pay attention to my nose. If it is rancid or bad, you will know.

Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    saute chopped garlic & onion; add sliced vienna sausage & cook til it's close to your level of done. add chopped tomatoes & douse w/patis. you may add scrambled eggs to this if you want & cook til eggs to your liking or you can just work w/the vienna sausage sans eggs. either way, pile upon rice (add ketchup, tabasco, shoyu, whatever) & be happy that your tummy will shortly be satisfied.

the tomato, onion, garlic & patis treatment is called sarciado, if i'm not mistaken.

i also do vienna sausage kim chee stir fry.
    sounds good! I have never tried cooking with viennas!

Quote Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
    We used to stuff the vienna sausage into those round kamaboko with the hole in the middle, slice it up and eat it as pupu. Ono you know!
    I need to find that kamaboko.

Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
    I think Vienna Sausage is perfect as emergency food. Always keep a bunch of cans handy. When I do eat them, I usually just add shoyu and sugar (or Mirin). I also like them sliced in scrambled eggs, served over rice, with shoyu.

Yum! Sorry, TG, I am a great fan of canned meats. The only one I don't like is corned beef. (Oh, and low-sodium Spam and viennas, and the turkey version; another thread altogether.)

I hated VS as a child, and haven't had it since my early 20s. But, all this talk makes me want to buy a can and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
    I need to find that kamaboko.
    It looks like this and can be found in most markets with the other kamaboko. It's called Chikuwa.

Last edited by helen; December 11th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

the irony with chicken vienna sausage, like the chicken version of kalua pork, is that the chicken iteration is higher in fat than the original, btw.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Anyone tried it with ogo bought from downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Anyone tried it with ogo bought from downtown?
    The preservatives from the Vi-eenas would do battle with any nasty ogo attackers and protect those who love the sausages!!

heheheh

BTW, thanks, D'Alani, I will look for it!
    Last edited by cyleet99; December 13th, 2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: adding thanks...

What do I do? Leave them on the shelf and keep on walking. Ew! However...Gerber's graduates has Turkey and Chicken sticks that are a lot like Vienna Sausages without all the gross fat. Just rinse them off after opening and mmm. Much better for you! And they taste better too.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Sometimes I will add a can of Vienna Sausage (as in just the sausages and not the water or the can itself) to a pot of either Hormel's chili or Dinty Moore's Beef Stew.

Reading through this old thread was really fun.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

A few days ago I had case of munchies and opening up a can of Vienna Sausage sort of helped.

So yeah I ate it plain out of the can after draining the water from the can.

I do plan on buying another case of Vienna Sausage once my current stash runs out.

yikes, I cannot eat it plain...I love it fried in butter or margarine !

I need to put hot sauce on it to get any taste.

Been on the lookout for a case of Vienna Sausage since March 2020. Sam's Club where I would normally buy a case has been out of them since then. On Saturday (4/4/20) while at Don Quijote shopping for laundry soap I stumbled across a stack of Spam and next to it a bigger stack of those 18 can case of Libby Vienna Sausage!

Needless to say I purchased a case of the Vienna Sausages and 3 cans of Spam, as well as the laundry soap.

There were a few cans of Vienna sausage when I purchased them at Longs. All the canned tuna and canned soup were gone already.

as doggie treats when they beg for food I ain't sharing

Was at Sam's Club on Saturday (4/11/20) and they had a less than a pallet worth of the 18 can case of Libby Vienna Sausage. I was thinking of purchasing that but realized I already had the case I purchased the week before.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123