Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll for Mac Salad - Where do you like?

Default Poll for Mac Salad - Where do you like?

I am no expert on mac salad but I had the one served with the lunch specials ($6 includes generous meat & starch plus mac or green salad and soda or tea) at Shooters and it was really excellent. Not too dry, not under or over seasoned. Where is your favorite? Do you like tuna mixed in like my dearly beloved?

Default Re: Poll for Mac Salad - Where do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp
    Re: Poll for Mac Salad - Where do you like?

"Where do I like it"!?

In my mout'. Why!?
    You spread it in your armpits, or wot?

Having spent my childhood in Texas, I find mac salad in these islands ridiculously bland and boring (and I still wonder why it has become such a standard in plate lunch boxes).

Chopped green olives, celery, etc., makes for much more interesting mac salad.

Quote Originally Posted by kimo55
    "Where do I like it"!?

In my mout'. Why!?
    You spread it in your armpits, or wot?
    so sorry for the lack of clarity in the question. should've said "what restaurant/eatery do you think has the best mac salad?"

Well KFC is no longer selling mac salad.

For me I don't have a favorite place to go for mac salad.

For "local" mac salad, L&L has some pretty decent stuff. Except I like potatoes in my mac salad, too, and no tuna!

Miulang

I have no real preference for any establishment's mac salad, but I know what I like in mac salad, and patronize restaurants on that basis. Turns out, people can have very strong feelings about what is and what isn't an acceptable ingredient for mac salad. To each their own, right?

I don't like celery, or pickles (or pickle juice). I can eat onions, but I'd rather not. I like tuna, and peas. I find the "Kauai style" with chopped spaghetti noodles (on top of the typical elbow macaroni) to be a little strange, but just as tasty...

L&L and Mahalo Drive Inn's mac salad seem to be okay. But I kind of noticing I am eating less of mac salad these days.

I don't like L&L Mac Salad. Too inconsistent. Too overcooked. How much garlic powder does it NEED? Same with Yummy's. Never get mac salad firm enough.

I like Zippy's Mac Salad, especially when lined up with a chili frank plate or a beef curry stew.

At a party an old friend made a potato-mac salad that was laced with sliced black olives, surimi, finely chopped celery and onion. It was out of this world.

I like to make mac salad, but I'm always on the hunt for a better recipe. My mayo keeps drying up, or getting sucked up by the mac, it never stays creamy. Any advice would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal
    I don't like L&L Mac Salad. Too inconsistent. Too overcooked. How much garlic powder does it NEED? Same with Yummy's. Never get mac salad firm enough.

I like Zippy's Mac Salad, especially when lined up with a chili frank plate or a beef curry stew.

At a party an old friend made a potato-mac salad that was laced with sliced black olives, surimi, finely chopped celery and onion. It was out of this world.

I like to make mac salad, but I'm always on the hunt for a better recipe. My mayo keeps drying up, or getting sucked up by the mac, it never stays creamy. Any advice would be welcome.
    The secret to keeping the mayo from drying up is to add a little milk to the mayo (do the same thing with cole slaw). I also add s'kosh dijon mustard to my mac salad. Wait until the macaroni cools off before making the salad. Sometimes I add sweet pickle relish, too.

Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    The secret to keeping the mayo from drying up is to add a little milk to the mayo (do the same thing with cole slaw). I also add s'kosh dijon mustard to my mac salad. Wait until the macaroni cools off before making the salad. Sometimes I add sweet pickle relish, too.

Miulang

Will do! Thanks a bunch sweetie!

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal
    One thing I learned after trial and error is to cook the macaroni beyond al dente to where it is quite soft but not falling apart. That's actually trickier than undercooking for me so I watch it constantly once it gets to the firm bite stage. Since it's cooked a bit longer it won't soak up so much dressing. I also put pickle juice in the dressing to thin it out a little and add some flavor. Usual mac salad dressing for me is mayo, half & half, pickle juice or vinegar, salt and pepper. Sometimes Old Bay seasoning for a change but the traditionalist in the house does not like that at all!

I really like the salad from Richie's Drive In and from Kuakini Medical Center. I do not like any mac salad with onions, so that means I can only eat it from so many places...I just hate onions...it also means I don't have very many choices for burgers since most places put onions in the patties.

I tried Zippy's and it was certainly nothing to write home about.

I like my own mac salad and so does everyone who has ever tried it. They beg me for the recipe, and I just laugh, it is so easy. It's just salad mac or small shells, diced celery, sliced black olives, shrimp, and sliced green onions dressed with real mayo, Old Style Sauce, and Johnny's Seasoning Salt.

Talking Re: Poll for Mac Salad - Where do you like?

No not the Mac Salad Poll.

I tell u - I gef um! Us guys up hea NW go make potluck I bring my mac salad - ho ono dat one - fo realz!

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp
    Sometimes Old Bay seasoning for a change but the traditionalist in the house does not like that at all!
    Old Bay! Dang! Wish I'd thought of that. That's such a great idea.

There's a fine line between good mac salad and bad mac salad and I think many, many places cross it. L&L is okay. A little slimy, but tasty.

The stuff I like to make is macaroni, tuna and celery. Ryan hates celery, so I use peas instead.

Yep. Tuna and peas, okay, celery, not okay. Just a personal preference, though, not an assertion of The Way to make mac salad. I don't like bits of celery in anything. I will say I tend to like my mac salad dryer than average, whereas my mom likes it practically swimming in mayo.

Tani's Lunchwagon was the first place I came across where the mac salad's macaroni noodles were fortified with chopped spaghetti noodles. I'm still not sure if it was a stylistic choice or just a filler.

My family makes it with hard boiled egg chopped up, tuna, and quite a bit of mayo. My Auntie for family parties will buy L&L mac salad, bring it home, and doctor it up. I had no clue until I was let in on her little deception.

I could handle peas and tuna in mine but I'm with you on the no celery thing. A lot of people on the mainland just love onion and celery in their mac salad and I'm put off by it. But different tastes right, I totally understand that.

OK Listen up people. The best place to get a Kalua Pig Plate Lunch, 1 scoop of rice, and the best mac salad is the little lunch truck that comes to Sandy's in the afternoon.

Lanie's Lunch Wagon on Hanua Street in Campbell Industrial has some darn good mac salad. what's even better is that they give you Mac AND tossed greens. $4 plate lunch that would rival any other....

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Tani's Lunchwagon was the first place I came across where the mac salad's macaroni noodles were fortified with chopped spaghetti noodles. I'm still not sure if it was a stylistic choice or just a filler.
    My mom uses spaghetti noodles in her mac salad. Mostly because we always have spaghetti noodles and rarely ever have macaroni on hand. She puts the typical stuff in...tuna, peas, lots'o mayo, boiled egg, carrots...sometimes she puts olives. I like the spaghetti noodles more, actually, for texture mostly. I often subsititute my rice for her salad when she makes it.

I don't mind celery, though. My grandma makes salad with celery. I'd prefer if there wasn't celery, but I'd still eat it as long as it didn't taste like relish. I absolutely cannot stand onions, though. Can't have them in my mac salad or my hamburger patties. Just doesn't happen :x

I just bought a container of potato/mac from Foodland. I'm not a potato eater, but I had to admit this was pretty darned good. Potato still had some crisp to it. Yeah, "undercooked". You can eat potato raw dontcha know. Better than overcooked and starchy. Had celery, onion, carrots, egg, macaroni, potato, Best foods mayo and some other seasoning and spices. For me, this was the best mac salad I've had in a long time.
    Having spent my childhood in Texas, I find mac salad in these islands ridiculously bland and boring (and I still wonder why it has become such a standard in plate lunch boxes).

Chopped green olives, celery, etc., makes for much more interesting mac salad.
    Well, Albert, having spent my childhood in Hawai'i, I ate "mainland" mac salad when I travelled up there. The one I tried, they put in diced dill pickles and chopped up pickled artichokes. People said it was the best in that area. Too dry, not enough mayo. Too vinegary or tart. Too me, that was ridiculously bland. Everything tasted only like.....sour pickles.

Mainland taste is different. We tend to lean more towards salt and sweet in our foods, probably due to the strong Asian influence we grew up with. Lots of mainland salads of any type seem to contain an abundance of vinegar or lemon juice, sometimes both. Also lots of "grassy" herbs and spices. They call that tasty up there. It's like the 3 bean salad. I hear mainland people rave about it and they have all these recipes for it. I tried it and hated it. To me it was too sour. In other words tasteless. Didn't help I don't like kidney beans.

The problem with mainland style salads and such is that they don't go well with rice. <LOL>

As for why the mac salad became a plate lunch staple, I haven't the foggiest idea where that came from, but it does go with rice in any "local" form it takes.

Btw, "plate lunch box" is redundant. It's either plate lunch, even though they put the plate lunch in a box, or box lunch, the latter referred to as a "bento". Plate lunch box...hmmm...I guess you can call the box that plate lunches are put into a....plate lunch box. <LOL>

Whoa. A revelation. I actually don't mind bland mac salads so long as it's eaten with teri beef or something with lots of gravy, be it stew or brown gravy over chicken cutlet ala Rainbow Drive in. Of course it would still taste better on it's own with the celery and onions and such. Hah! Whadaya know.

I did some research into plate lunches and how macaroni salad came to have a place at the table for my book.

Plate lunches grew out of food that plantation workers took into the field. Rice, meat and pickled vegetables that did not need refrigeration.

Apparently, macaroni salad was invented at Delmonico's in New York City around the turn of the last century. It became a sensation in New York.

Out hotel industry was just getting off the ground then and many of the chefs were trained in New York and brought the humble salad with them.

Carts at the waterfront were serving plate lunches with macaroni salad in the late 1920s to dock workers.

Why it's still popular here is a mystery. Maybe it's the perfect complement to rice and meat.

Well, I gotta eat crow on this one. There are probably thousands of variations on the theme. Using stuff like green olives or dill pickles are just a couple of them. I still won't eat it, though. Just not to my taste.

C1, neat info. Gonna try and dig more into it. Some of my interests include learning things from the "cowboy" era, 1840's to the 1890's. Delmonico's falls into that time period. On another forum, there is a person who's somewhat of a food historian and he'll probably know more about mac salad and it's origins. His user name is Delmonico so I'm pretty sure he'll have the info. Will share for those interested.

This the PERFECT Mac Salad recipe

Da' 1/4 cup milk is the secret. Gives it that perfect creamy, cool flavor. Grated carrots give it just enough color and contrast without overpowering it.

Gotta' be simple. No tuna, peas, this or that. Most of all, make sure you use Best Foods (Hellmann's) Mayo'.

Aside of all this, in an effort to eat more healthy, I usually opt for tossed greens over Mac.

Star Bulletin article on Mac Salad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast