Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what radio station has the best Morning show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what radio station has the best Morning show?

Even if i didnt work here, i would have to say for me, that Hot 93.9 has the best morning show hands down. Rory Wild and the Wake Up Crew Have the funniest bits and the most energy on the radio in the morning they really "wake you up" foreal!
    Thanks for the laughs and smiles guys.

I know that P&P are the best rated, but they dont appeal much to me. I really respect them though because, if you want to know the real deal about whats goin on in the news and current events.

Your thoughts?

-vic
    Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Re: what radio station has the best Morning show?

The Perry & Price show is impressive, most any way you look at it. For all the pointless yacking, for all of Larry Price's mangling of the English language, for all the annoying ads-presented-as-spontaneous-chatter gimmicks... the fact is, people listen, and whatever gets attention on that show dictates much of what people will be talking about around the water cooler.

I almost never tune in, but when I do, it's an interesting glimpse into the collective psyche of Honolulu. And like you, I also give points to any station that invests anytime and personnel in the newsgathering/reporting arena.

Given that, you can guess that my morning drive time station, and anytime station for that matter, is KHPR/KIPO, public radio. For all the great stuff they pipe in from the mainland, I also like their local news team: Derek Malama (who's finally starting to grow on me), Kayla Rosenfeld, Noe Tanigawa, and Chad Blair (covering the long needed political beat). Of course, there's also Howard Dicus' great dial-ins for PBN, and Liz Janes-Brown's Maui News reports.

Al Hulsen's got a great voice, full of character, but sometimes you can almost hear the gears grinding and the occasional stumbles are sometimes painful. But while sometimes I doubt the relevance of the greater Pacific news beat, I realize quickly that if it wasn't for those reports, I'd probably have no concept of what's going on in the greater Polynesian neighborhood.

Comment

I think KUMU Lite 94.7's "The Breakfast Club" is the best morning show. Bill Brennen does a great job with the news, Tiny and Mandy do a great job of entertaining me with other things, e.g., "Stuffs That Would Happen Today Before". Plus, they play lots of lite rock favorites, more music per hour than the amount of music you get on KSSK's Perry and Price show.

Comment

Originally posted by slickvic
        I know that P&P are the best rated, but they dont appeal much to me. I really respect them though because, if you want to know the real deal about whats goin on in the news and current events. I reread my post and forgot to add ("they have the scoops")
        I had to edit my post sorry about that. the edited part is in red
        Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

I think like a lot of people in this town, the Perry & Price show is the most respected of the morning radio shows here. I agree with everyone's opinion on this. I do find them informative and entertaining when I occasionally tune in. I like Michael W. Perry as I have listened to him from when he started in the afternoons on KKUA in 1972. While I am not a fan of Price, he has proven to be a good match to Perry and is probably responsible for connecting with the same kind of people who listened to Aku before their morning team was formed in 1983.

For me however, my regular morning show of choice is Rick Hamada on KHVH AM. Been a listener of this program since 1996 or 97. The reason why I like this program is that for all practical purposes, Rick is the Rush Limbaugh of Honolulu. His program is informative and entertaining as he touches upon a lot of local and national political issues throughout the week. Besides politics though, Rick also talks about a lot of other things like American Idol, the Symphony, golf and restaurants. The program is not entirely focused on politics.

During the week Rick also has special guests including Governor Linda Lingle on Wednesdays and State Senators Sam Slom and Colleen Hanabusa on Thursdays, who if they ever left public office, could become a viable radio team with their ying and yang outlook on various issues.

The Governor is informative and businesslike during her one hour segment yet still comes across as a warm and caring person. She not only talks about issues and politics, but also shares her passion for movies (doing occasional movie reviews) and talks about her week visiting various people.

Sam and Colleen can get into heated political discussions on various issues, but retain a friendly and entertaining banter with each other. They even talk "trash" at times and still remain friendly. Both have guest hosted the entire Rick Hamada show at times when he was away.

About the only thing that I don't like about Rick's show is the one hour infomercials where his weekly guests talk about their businesses and try to soft sell you on their service. This gives me a chance to tune out and make a check on the other morning shows around the dial.
          Last edited by mel; May 14, 2004, 07:30 AM.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Can't say much about this because I don't usually start listening to the radio until All Things Considered at four in the afternoon. Well, except for the opera on Saturday afternoon at one and, sometimes, Michael Lasser's show of theatre music on Sundays at four (the Saturday evening broadcast is too late for me).

(You can tell I am an NPR fan.)

In the early morning, I prefer a cup of coffee and a book.

Comment

My co-worker listens to KSSK, the only negative thing that sticks in my mind is when they do the gag callins parodying whoever famous is in trouble. If you listen to it all the time you get used to it but if you are listening to the first time you gotta kind of wonder why someone like Martha Stewart who is in trouble with the law calling a couple of guys in Honolulu to give them her piece of mind.

Comment

I like the Perry and Price show because of the gag calls. Their morning show offers a variety of elements coupled with important traffic and weather information when I'm commuting to work. I like Rick too (used to be my boss) but I think I'm addicted to the gag phoners that KSSK uses, gotta hear that Hollywood Haole so I have someone to criticize at work during our coffee breaks.

But really...the best morning show is on the road minutes before the top of the hour when you see the idiots racing thru traffic running red lights thinking they can make it to their desks by the top of that hour.

Greg and Rory is another great morning show (can you tell I'm biased to CC) and I have to say that or else Rory will probably give me stink eye next time we meet at Kam School at one of our kid's evening performances...it's not a Chinese School...yeah yeah yeah okay Kamehameha.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

For SERIOUS discussion about local and national issues, KHVH-AM's Rick Hamada is the place of choice for me. I'm not necessarily a "rightwinger" per say, but he delivers both politics and variety topics at the top of the pack in my opinion. To top, he's cordial and likeable, complete opposite of the Limbaugh/Savage types.

For COMEDY, nobody can touch 93.9 FM's Wake-up Crew! Rory and Greg leave me in tears in my car, with their purposely-delivered wacky, off-the-wall - and sometimes even - juvenile antics. HILARIOUS STUFF! Their American Idol coverage is a must-listen for anyone following the competition.

Normally though, I'm not one for talk radio, as all I here in our office is "talk"... that's enough "talk" for me. lol

My morning drive usually includes "Mega-Music Bob-a-Thons".
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Last thing I want to listen to in the morning is idle (or Idol) chatter, commercials and music I don't want to hear.

Strictly CDs for my morning commute.

Comment

NPR's Morning Edition on KHPR for me. Morning deejays give me a headache.

Comment

I listen online,so the choices are somewhat limited.
                        I miss Frankie B., but KINE is still my favorite. Also, I like the music.
                        I tried listening to Perry and Price on KSSK, but couldn't get into it. Also, the music is not my favorite. I enjoy P and P on Sat. morning, though.

Comment

I think I've mentioned before that I can appreciate Perry & Price and their appeal, but that nothing makes me switch it off faster than when Perry tries to become a political commentator. Poking fun of politicians as a class is one thing (they're all goofy, regardless of party), but infusing a bias into everything - from White House controversies to bland economics news - drives me bananas. It'd be one thing if he was good at it, but it just comes across as random screeds a lot of the time. Especially when he cuts in on the local news segment to gripe.

What makes me giggle most, though, is how -- like this morning -- he starts gibbering about that evil "mainstream media." This is a guy on the number one Honolulu station, owned by ClearChannel no less. Buddy, you are the "mainstream media."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            I think I've mentioned before that I can appreciate Perry & Price and their appeal, but that nothing makes me switch it off faster than when Perry tries to become a political commentator.
                            Would your dislike of Perry have anything to do that he is the more "conservative"of the P & P duo?
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Not at all. It's not the point of view that annoys me, its the fact that he can't seem to resist politicizing things. Employment is down, but of course that other mainstream media will overstate it. Pumpkin prices are up, and it's Hillary Clinton's fault.

Perry is a great radio guy. But I'm pretty sure his appeal and his qualifications fall more toward "entertainer" than "pundit," and that's why people tune into the show. His rants, which sometimes are almost embarassing, are akin to the moments when David Letterman departs from his "skewer and mock everyone for humor" to "angry personal screed."

It's embarassing, in part because such commentary is clearly not their forte.

As I mentioned above, politicians are fair game as a class, and certainly Perry and Price capture the public sentiment pretty well at times (recall how their show became a major venue during the bus strike). It's when they depart from the "pulse of paradise" to "editorial" that's jarring.

The options for political discourse are pretty strong out there, from longtime KHVH to the new 97.5. If folks wanted politics, that's where they can go. For better or worse, Perry and Price is positioned as the place for celebrity impersonators, traffic reports, local news, and random chatter (and ads disguised as random chatter), not a local Bill O'Reilly.

Comment

Working...
                              X