Johnny Carson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Carson

He was such a daily part (or nightly part) of my life for a long, long time.

Aloha oe, Johnny.

Re: Johnny Carson

Rest In Peace Johnny Carson!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

One of the things that I liked was when they did Carnack the Magnificent.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        One of the things that I liked was when they did Carnack the Magnificent.

dig;

http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/e...rnac/index.jsp

Comment

I am currently a big fan of the 'Tonight Show.' Even though I enjoy Jay Leno being the host, I really didn't get to watch Johnny on the air... I was very young when he quit. Only 'wish' I could see the many memories he had made for late-night television entertainment. Mahalo Johnny Carson

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652
            I am currently a big fan of the 'Tonight Show.' Even though I enjoy Jay Leno being the host, I really didn't get to watch Johnny on the air... I was very young when he quit. Only 'wish' I could see the many memories he had made for late-night television entertainment. Mahalo Johnny Carson

i grew up on carson. he was a class act. NEVER resorted to the cheap vulgar profane laugh. as they alllll seem to do nowadays.

The tonight show as the unfortunate contemporary audience experiences, is not at all as it was.

watching his show almost nightly...
            It was like joining a literate casual cocktail party. These talkshows now, not at all like that. It's slumming now.

The tradition of the tonight show exhibits a lineage of some of the most clever intelligent comedians.
            I even remember Steve Allen's tenure in the milieu, much antedating Mr. Carson's stint.
            Then we saw Ernie Kovacs. Then the inimitable Jack Parr.

You want the good stuff? It's available on video and possibly dvd.
            Last edited by kimo55; January 24, 2005, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652

Due to his death, finding a rental VHS or DVD may get hard. I have two "Best of Johnny" VHS TAPES. You are welcome to borrow it. Email me private message.
              Last edited by 1stwahine; January 25, 2005, 02:01 AM. Reason: because..
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                i grew up on carson. he was a class act. NEVER resorted to the cheap vulgar profane laugh. as they alllll seem to do nowadays.
                Zsa Zsa Gabor, with a large Persian sitting on her lap: "Johnny, do you want to pet my pussy?"

Johnny Carson: "Sure, if you move the damn cat."

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                  Zsa Zsa Gabor, with a large Persian sitting on her lap: "Johnny, do you want to pet my pussy?"

Johnny Carson: "Sure, if you move the damn cat."

nope. didn't happen.

he never said
                  "damn"
                  and uuhh... da ress didnt happen either.

try as you may, ya just can't defame early media or sully our icons and yank them down to yer level... please respect the memory and character of some things...

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/zsazsa.htm
                  Last edited by kimo55; January 25, 2005, 08:49 AM.

Comment

nope. didn't happen.
                    Ahahaha... that's amazing. Got that quote off someone else's blog, but I should have checked it out a little bit more first.

I've got no problem admitting when I'm wrong Kimo.

try as you may, ya just can't defame early media or sully our icons and yank them down to yer level... please respect the memory and character of some things...
                    "Early" media? "Our" icons yanked down to "yer" level?

Please.

I'm a big fan of Mr. Carson. I just don't agree with you trying to beatify him and make it look like he was clean as a whistle.

Professionally, he was a pioneer and a lot of people (myself included) consider him an icon. But personally, he was just another guy from Nebraska with faults and shortcomings like the rest of us.

Do you even watch late night television these days? Or have you already taken the dentures out and gone to bed by the time the 10 o'clock news comes on?

Comment

palolojoe;
                      relegated to the killfile
                      news at 10!

Ahahaha... that's amazing. Got that quote off someone else's blog,
                      ah yes. the "blog". full of pithy, meaty copy that really matters. where everyone turns to for authentic factual pearls of wisdom since time immemorial. perfect for quotes and the original source for the cultural illiterati.

Comment

perfect for quotes and the original source for the cultural illiterati.
                        Ah, yes - more insults. Keep running your mouth Kimo...

Here's something I found in the New York Daily News. Full text is here.

Johnny Carson made millions of viewers laugh, but few of them saw the moody side of the talk show legend.

"Off the air, he was an incredibly dark comedian - almost like Lenny Bruce," biographer Laurence Leamer, author of "King of the Night," tells us. "He was a strange guy, flawed and vulnerable."

Comment

Ah, yes - more insults. Keep running your mouth Kimo...
                          you opened the door. i just walked in. don't take it personally.

Comment

you opened the door. i just walked in.
                            And why stick to the topic of discussion when you can hurl an insult? I know it must get harder to concentrate as you advance in age, but please try to keep focused on what we're talking about - Johnny Carson.

Comment

And why stick to the topic of discussion when you can hurl an insult?
                              uh. I give up. ok, why?

wait. is this a trick question?!

who hurled!?

I know it must get harder to concentrate as you advance in age, but please try to keep focused on what we're talking about - Johnny Carson.
                              senility rules. but... who said that?
                              Last edited by kimo55; January 25, 2005, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X