Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Johnny Carson

Default Re: Johnny Carson

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    He died from emphysema and congestive heart failure. For those of you who smoke heavily, please try to quit. You don't want to die in the kind of agony he probably went through in his final days: bloated by cortisone to keep the pain away and gasping for air.
    Amen to that. My stepdad died of the same causes in '98 and I had to watch his breathing slowly deteriorate over 13 years. He went from being a relatively healthy guy(for a 2-pack-a-day smoker) who played tennis on the weekends to where he couldn't even walk from one end of the living room to the other, even with oxygen, and he had panic attacks when he couldn't breathe. I wouldn't want to see *anyone* die like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Palolo Joe
    "ah yes. the "blog". full of pithy, meaty copy that really matters. where everyone turns to for authentic factual pearls of wisdom since time immemorial. perfect for quotes and the original source for the cultural illiterati."

Ah, yes - more insults. Keep running your mouth Kimo...
    Sorry; didn't mean to get carried away there.
    (it's like the Ouija board; the keys keep typing...)
    using a lil sarcasm to make a point.
    Nothing personal; just general, in that if one is inclined to seek important news facts or info from one blog, judgement may be in question.
    You see, the "ZZG/Carson" story is one of countless "urban legends" that has been circulating maaaaany years... (if I recall correctly, since about the 70's) much before the advent of the internet, and of course, decades before "blogs".
    Last edited by kimo55; January 26th, 2005 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    his years of smoking heavily and boozing caught up with him at a way too young age.
    Miulang

That is sad and the part I lament; he admitted in a Mike Wallace interview he drank too much. One thing he based his chiding on the irishman McMahon; Ed could hold his liquor, Johnny couldn't.

and his smoking was a problem. Tried to quit many times. It held too strong a grasp on him. Remember the eps where we see him grabbing a quick drag from behind the desk?
    back in the day, smoking was considered ok on the set during taping. then, he slowly hid this and now and then we see him surreptitiously puff, then later on, it was only at commercial breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by helen
    About Jay Leno

I agree with you there about Jay Leno, Johnny Carson tended to dance while the band played whenever the joke bomb.

he did alotta different things; yanking down the boom mike and tapping into it, announcing a kmart blue lite special, etc..

Really I thought Skitch Henderson or Ed McMahon would be the first to go before Johnny. McMahon used to drink so much it wasnt funny, I thought he would die of liver failure or something. I remember one time Ed was so drunk it wasnt funny and Johnny said "Your not fooling anyone tonight are you". It was obvious he was drunk as can be. I think he got his act together before it was too late. Good for McMahon.

KalihiBoy

Can't wait to read it, thanx!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12