"Lost" May Be Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lost" May Be Moving

Production costs may force the cast and crew of the hit ABC TV series "Lost" to move out of Hawaii when the first season shooting ends in April.

Lost Opportunity?

The hit television series "Lost," which is spending about $45 million in Hawaii in its first season on ABC, likely will relocate unless state and studio executives can find ways to offset the high cost of filming here.....

The sentiment is shared by other ABC/Touchstone executives who agreed that the series is losing about $500,000 an episode, or $11 million for the first season's 22 episodes. Season one filming ends in April.

Moderator's note: Use this new thread to discuss the possibility of this series moving away from Hawaii and its financial impact on the state. Use the other "Lost" thread to discuss the show's episodes on ABC as they unfold.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: "Lost" May Be Moving

I think this link will take you straight to the Star-Bulletin piece.

It would be sad, but not surprising. Australia is probably the best contender, as they also have the "untouched natural beauty" needed for a remote tropical island show, and a much lower cost of business. I still remember the movie "Rip Girls," a cheesy Disney flick that was about surfers and the lovey-dovey Hawaiian way, but was filmed entirely Down Under.

Fact of the matter is, if "Lost" does less and less location shooting, using its indoor sets more and more, there's no reason for them to be here. That "cave" set could be on an L.A. back lot.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      That "cave" set could be on an L.A. back lot.
      Yep. Happened with the original "Gilligan's Island", which was mostly shot at a small lake in a botanical garden across the street from Santa Anita Racetrack in Southern California.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Wasnt the opening scene to Gilligans Island filmed near Magic Island?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy

KalihiBoy

coconut island was the location used in a few scenes showing a real island.

also see this for more locations:

http://www.gilligansisle.com/tour.html

oh.
          and if ya wanna know where gilligan's island is;
          http://home.mn.rr.com/classictv/GilliganMap.html

Last edited by kimo55; January 26, 2005, 09:57 PM.

Comment

The opening for the first season was shot in the Ala Wai Marina (yes, next to Magic Island). You can clearly see the fuel dock that's still there.
            The first link that Kimo provided claims that the opening for the subsequent seasons was shot in Marina del Rey, California, but that's incorrect. It was actually shot in the harbor at Long Beach, California. (In the early 1960s MDR was still under construction and was mostly a swamp.) The only Gilligan scenes shot in Marina del Rey wer for the movie called "Return of Gilligan's Island" (or something similar) a decade or so ago.

The photo at http://home.mn.rr.com/classictv/GilligansIsland.html of the cast in a lagoon was actually taken in the lake at the place I mentioned yesterday as being across the street from Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia, California: the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden. Curiously, there's no mention of GI on the arboretum's website, but I happened to be there (as a young teenager) when GI did some filming there.

Comment

The Honolulu Advertiser does a bit of catching up, reflecting a stronger dissenting view:

Could Hawai'i lose 'Lost'?
              Wayne Harada and Sean Hao, Honolulu Advertiser, Thursday, January 27, 2005
              Reaction to the prospect that "Lost" would leave Hawai'i were mixed yesterday, with at least one observer characterizing demands for more tax breaks as blackmail. "So if they leave, where will they go that will have the backdrop that they have here — that is still in the U.S.A. and that has not flooded or is freezing cold at the moment?" asked Lowell Kalapa, president of the nonprofit Tax Foundation of Hawai'i. "Remember, time is money in a production schedule. "Funny how the request is coming in just as the Legislature is opening."
              Special favors for private companies make for messy business, but I thought most legislators and state officials were adamant that any tweaks made for ABC and "Lost" would also be available to any other production. As for why the film/television industry specifically should be getting breaks... we can't keep screaming "diversify! diversify! diversify!" without taking some concrete steps to foster other industries here. Hawaii, believe it or not, does not sell itself.

Comment

Geez, that would be unfortunate if Lost got lost...sorry for the quasi-pun. The first reason that got me into it was that it was filming in hawaii. That goes the same with the show "hawaii" that aired in the fall, sad to hear about "north shore" as well...
                There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

LikaNui wrote:

The photo at http://home.mn.rr.com/classictv/GilligansIsland.html of the cast in a lagoon was actually taken in the lake at the place I mentioned yesterday as being across the street from Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia, California: the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden. Curiously, there's no mention of GI on the arboretum's website, but I happened to be there (as a young teenager) when GI did some filming there.

I wasnt born when GI was first on the air but I was certainly old enough to remember the reunions they did and enjoyed them at the time. Did they film any of those in Hawaii?

I believe the LA County Arboretum and Botanical Gardens was the on location site for the Fantasy Island series.

KalihiBoy

Comment

I believe the LA County Arboretum and Botanical Gardens was the on location site for the Fantasy Island series.

KalihiBoy
                    ...for the early (70's) series.

Malcolm McDowell short run series, Hotel Hana Maui used for the pilot, other establishing/outdoor scenes shot at Kualoa

Comment

Indeed. Go to
                      http://www.arboretum.org/index.cfm?f...TOKEN=62222657 and look at the third photo down. It's the Queen Anne Cottage, extremely recognizable from Fantasy Island.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                        Indeed. Go to
                        http://www.arboretum.org/index.cfm?f...TOKEN=62222657 and look at the third photo down. It's the Queen Anne Cottage, extremely recognizable from Fantasy Island.

here's anodda view of it...

http://www.seeing-stars.com/ImagePag...agePhoto.shtml

Comment

From that website you linked, they said this about Gilligan's Island:

When you see the "Minnow" sail off to "GILLIGAN'S ISLAND" on that infamous "three-hour tour" (during the opening credits for that sit-com) the boat's supposed to be sailing out of an Hawaiian port. Actually, that harbor scene in the opening credits was shot in east Long Beach, CA., at the Alamitos Bay marina. They added a few palm trees to make it look more like Hawaii.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Location...cations2.shtml

I thought that opening scene was filmed near Magic Island!! Who is right!?

KalihiBoy

Comment

KalihiBoy
                            I don't know magic island from dik, in this regard.

however, I do know coconut island has been seen in the series:

http://www.gilligansisle.com/coconut.html

Comment

From that website you linked, they said this about Gilligan's Island: When you see the "Minnow" sail off to "GILLIGAN'S ISLAND" on that infamous "three-hour tour" (during the opening credits for that sit-com) the boat's supposed to be sailing out of an Hawaiian port. Actually, that harbor scene in the opening credits was shot in east Long Beach, CA., at the Alamitos Bay marina. They added a few palm trees to make it look more like Hawaii.
                              See my reply in post #6 in this thread, dated January 27. The first season they showed the Minnow leaving the Ala Wai, next to Magic Island. In subsequent seasons the Minnow was shown leaving Long Beach.
                              So to answer your question: Both are right.

Comment

Working...
                              X