Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racial tensions at Radford High School

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Ah, yes, as opposed to the respectful, humble, modest, earnest, and honest enlightened methods of expression exhibited by locals, right Kimo?

azzrite, brah! It's da angels against da debbils, erry time.
    da pure against da profane. da black against da white.
    (oops. block that metaphor!)

Comment

Thanks for sharing all your views with me. I suppose the marketing of aloha and even ohana did stay with me from my first which was also my most recent stay (10 years ago) but perhaps even back then those philosophies were in stronger force. However, I am sure there are many more things that draw people to the islands and hopefully that will never stop my love for them. Racism and military conflicts seem to never end, no matter where we are, unfortunately.
      There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

Originally posted by hkplayer
        aloha and even ohana ...
        there are original 'forms' of this that cements kama'aina and is evident, "behind the scenes" never to be viewed by "prying eyes". And it has for decades, antedating the HVCB, and Disney, with their Lolo and stitch cartoons, appropriating the concepts.

oh yea. Disney.
        I just love Eisner, their animation mill, churning out colorful versions of other's cultures;
        the Disney touch on Africa and that damned "makoombaya baton ta daa" song...
        and
        "ohana means no child gets left behind". lovely. a double negative.

Comment

*****FIVE STARS! I truly enjoyed this thread.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Some people describe what is happening with regard to racial tensions in Hawai'i as a population in denial of the problem.

We make jokes (calling each other names, "e.g. "You Portagee!") to try to defuse the situation, and the article points out that because there are so many "hapa" people in Hawai'i, those people will take whatever "side" of them is important in that particular situation.

Ignorance is what exacerbates intolerance. If the local kids who were giving the military kids a hard time could understand that most of those kids had parents who were in Iraq, would they still give those kids the same hard time? Would the military kids rag on the local kids if they understood that their mainland attitudes sometimes are pilau?

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln01p.html
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Some people describe what is happening with regard to racial tensions in Hawai'i as a population in denial of the problem.
              Miulang
              ...and this article uses the m.p. word:
              "It's supposed to be a melting pot, but at the same time you have these levels of people who feel they are being treated in ways that aren't fair."

reminds me of that cartoon in the New Yorker.
              Guy sitting in a lawyer's office asking him:
              "Life's not fair; who can I sue?"

Comment

Ok, now school violence has hit Waipahu. Is this one cultural or racial? Students says Police made the situation worse! AUWE! I pray it does't spread like wild fire to other schools!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln01p.html

ya know, "in denial of the prob..." Saw that too in da pepah.
                  It's just the new politically correct, modern, dysfunctional, co-dependent hyper sensitive, litigious, non-accountability perspective on something we here for decades never considered any big thing. Now, this mainland dis-ease of the group soul/mind of society is growing to be a big thing. Another mainland problem transplanted to our islands.
                  (And journalists imply the likes of deLima exacerbate the problem by making light of it and not addressing it as some morbid cancerous plague)
                  Now, (we see reported often in papers) we have people, groups, associations... etc.. variously shouting:

"When will we start to HEAL the pain?"

"I am hurt! I am offended. It's not Fay-YURRR!"

"hey, I wanna join in too: I dun wanna be called 'haole'!"

"Why won't people take this verrryyy serious problem more seriously?"

O.K., people, collective whiners of the world: calm down, take a chill pill, have a few maitais, drink a twelve pack, pop da top on da fourty, drop a quaalude, pump some prozac down yer piehole, lite up a spleef, jump in a volcano... just, get over yerself.
                  Damn! Ya carry on as if you think yer the center of the gaw dayum universe, and you'll live forever. And lemme tellya. Yer not, and life is short. Too short for this sh*t.
                  Last edited by kimo55; February 3, 2005, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    O.K., people, collective whiners of the world: calm down, take a chill pill, have a few maitais, drink a twelve pack, pop da top on da fourty, drop a quaalude, pump some prozac down yer piehole, lite up a spleef, jump in a volcano... just, get over yerself.
                    Damn! Ya carry on as if you think yer the center of the gaw dayum universe, and you'll live forever. And lemme tellya. Yer not, and life is short. Too short for this sh*t.
                    WELL SAID! What The World needs now, Is LOVE, Sweet Love
                    It's the only thing that there's just too little of............

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      A Farrington High grad I know told me about how, at UH-Mānoa, she met an 'Iolani boy from Kailua who was embarrassingly naive and sheltered and asked her, wide-eyed, about all the gang violence in Kalihi. Really, they came from two different worlds.
                      Yeah, I get that all the time. I grew up in Kalihi (still works there) and there are people I know who "believes" they are from the better parts of town have told me they're afraid of commuting through Kalihi because they fear being carjacked or confronted by gangs.

Sure, there are places like KPT and MWH, but Kalihi isn't a ghetto by any stretch.

Comment

Working...
                      X