Do You Skype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do You Skype?

Whether you realize it or not, much of the LD service today is already going IP! All the major carriers are using IP switches now instead of the traditional TDMA because it's cheaper for them to maintain. Legacy stuff is a bugger to keep updated. Many of the credit card transactions today are also going IP, which is kinda a scary thought when you think about who might be sniffing the cloud to see what they can grab. In my last company, where I managed the ecommerce payment gateway, I told management I wanted to continue to use a leased line to the transaction processor because at least I knew the transmission would be consistent (never know about network congestion on IP) and for security reasons.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the helpful information on Skype. We might have about 8-10 simultaneous users at a time when doing a remote training, so I guess Skype wouldn't be able to support that. I work for a large company, but they're always looking to save money. (Who isn't, right?)

Are there any other IP telephony services out there similar to Skype that might be able to support a telecon of 8-10 people?

Comment

My last job used AT&T teleconferencing, but that was purely old-school -- just using telephones, I mean (regardless of how the signals were later processed). Not even sure if they do that anymore.

Some of the vendors I work with at my current job use WebEx. It's more for presentations, but I think they channel audio-only, phone-based teleconferences, too. GoToMeeting works similarly - again, adding coventional teleconferences to an online presentation.

Something all online, with no phones at all? Well, Skype competitor Gizmo doesn't have a hardcoded limit to the number of participants, though of course technical limitations caused by all that duplex activity create a practical limit of about four people. If you don't need full duplex, though, and expect only one person to talk at a time, using the mute button can apparently boost your conference call capacity to over 25 people. See this KB entry.

Comment

Originally posted by Donna
          8-10 simultaneous users at a time
          I have been tasked to scream: aaaaahhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            My last job used AT&T teleconferencing, but that was purely old-school -- just using telephones, I mean (regardless of how the signals were later processed). Not even sure if they do that anymore.

Some of the vendors I work with at my current job use WebEx. It's more for presentations, but I think they channel audio-only, phone-based teleconferences, too. GoToMeeting works similarly - again, adding coventional teleconferences to an online presentation.
            Ryan's right. Many large companies now use Webex for training and for seminars. Call some of the conference bridge vendors and have their people do ROIs for you so you can see what the payback will be. Oftentimes, if the company is large enough, buying your own system will pay for itself within months. And very often, once people within the company are aware that it's available, they will request to use it, too. That's when having your own bridge starts to make sense over "renting" the airtime. Here's a service provider that may be a cheaper alternative than MCI (I don't know what rates you're paying now). Much of the pricing is tied to volume, so if you're a light user, you can expect to pay more per minute.

Cisco Systems bought out Latitude Communications (their product is called "Meeting Place") a couple of years ago, so if you're a Cisco shop and if you want to own your own equipment, that might be the way to go. My company bought the product as a standalone. It works great for audioconferences. And if you Google "conference call bridge vendors" you'll come up with a whole list of possibilities for your analysis.

Good luck. Most akamai companies realize that it's better to use technology to accomplish tasks like meetings and classes than it is to spend the money to send the bodies to a different location and lose employee productivity in travel time...that's where the savings start to pile up.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

This news is over a month old, but whether you use Skype or not, you should know that the company has made "SkypeOut" free for U.S. and Canada numbers through the end of the year.

"SkypeOut" is the feature of Skype that lets you use Skype on your computer to call a regular ol' phone. Before, it cost two cents a minute -- still better than most long-distance plans.

Skype-to-Skype calls (i.e. computer to computer), of course, have always been free.

Comment

It's a great program, I just wish they'd have a "push to talk" feature, so I could hold a button while transmitting out. Otherwise it's quite good

Comment

Skype is great. They just need to keep that US, Canada calling all free, all the time.

Comment

No more free calls from Skype

Bad news for Skype users: beginning Jan. 1, eBay/Skype will be charging a flat fee of $30 a year for unlimited calls in the US and Canada.

Skype, the Internet calling service owned by eBay, said Tuesday that as of Jan. 1 it would begin charging $30 a year for unlimited calls to landline and mobile phones within the United States and Canada. Those calls had been free since last spring.

The new annual fee for unlimited calling, while still nominal compared with other Internet calling plans, is part of a broader strategy by eBay to expand Skype’s product offerings and revenue.

...The company has been developing and deploying technology that allows Skype to be used on other devices, including wireless phones and pocket computers.

But potentially more significant innovations are planned for next year, when Skype will introduce services with Yahoo and Google that will allow Web surfers to click a button and call a business they have found during a search.
                    Miulang

Comment

dirtbags! And I just d/loaded it.

pax

Comment

Dirtbags? They originally charged for calls to landlines. It was earlier this year that they opened the floodgates in offering SkypeOut free through Dec. 31. And personally, I think $30 a year (with a discount if you sign up now) for unlimited calls to "regular" phones is a great deal for any heavy Skype user. Especially since the default system has you paying by the minute.

Remember, Skype to Skype calls are always free. What we're talking about here is using Skype to call your grandma's house in New Hampshire.

I love Skype, but actually use it more with other Skype users, not with "regular" lines. But I'm considering signing up just in case I become an even more heavy user of the service. And the concept of the Skype Wi-Fi phone just excites me to no end. Imagine, receiving Skype calls while relaxing at the nearest Starbucks? The only hang-up is that -- while they just released their awesome Skype 3.0 upgrade for Windows machines -- the Mac version as usual is lagging a few features behind.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          Dirtbags? They originally charged for calls to landlines. It was earlier this year that they opened the floodgates in offering SkypeOut free through Dec. 31. And personally, I think $30 a year (with a discount if you sign up now) for unlimited calls to "regular" phones is a great deal for any heavy Skype user. Especially since the default system has you paying by the minute.

Remember, Skype to Skype calls are always free. What we're talking about here is using Skype to call your grandma's house in New Hampshire.

I love Skype, but actually use it more with other Skype users, not with "regular" lines. But I'm considering signing up just in case I become an even more heavy user of the service. And the concept of the Skype Wi-Fi phone just excites me to no end. Imagine, receiving Skype calls while relaxing at the nearest Starbucks? The only hang-up is that -- while they just released their awesome Skype 3.0 upgrade for Windows machines -- the Mac version as usual is lagging a few features behind.
                          Skype to Skype requires that folks have their skype on. I use it almost daily to call my kids on their cellphone and my home landline, because my office's walls makes my cellphone spotty, and dialing right from my computer is a fantastic thing, without no cradle on my shoulder, no curly landline cords to fut with, etc.

I say it again, Dirtbags. And yeah, I am seriously considering signing up for the feature, as I accurse Skype as Dirtbags. One day I might get over it. Today, I lament the news. Sue me.

pax

Comment

Bump

I use Skype and enjoy it. Feel free to hit me up if so inclined. TATTRAT

Since rolling out the pay service there is another site that offers free internet telephone service. A quick download and account creation and you are on. You will be prompted to answer 2 survey questions, but that is all, no spam or gimmicks.

http://www.icall.com/

Works well. If you choose to download it, be sure to visit the homepage to look for any updates or you might get error messages when logging on for the initial try.

You can use local hub numbers for your phone number to accept incoming calls as well. A Person can dial the access number, then enter your extension and the person is connected to you.
                            flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

I haven't used it, but my friend uses it to call me from Iraq from time to time.

There's a slight delay when he uses it, but being that it connects he and I together more often...it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Hello. My husband and I are looking for a way to stay in touch for very, very cheap (i.e. free if possible). He will be in Honolulu in September and I will be staying put in Va until December (sucks!). Sounds like you guys like Skype. How does the free plan work? They have absolutely no info on it on their website...only info and the paid plan. Are the minutes unlimited computer to computer in the US?
                                My computer is a bit slow...it runs XP but it is old, which means 6 years old in computer speak. Think that wil be an issue? I may be able to get a newer computer, but I won't count on that
                                Oh, and if we decide to use this, I may want to call people and get info on Oahu and Honolulu I can't wait for December!!
                                Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X