help a haole feed a hawaiian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help a haole feed a hawaiian

I've proven my love by tasting, devouring and finally loving spam.
    I made him chicken long rice when he had his cold
    I helped him make 250 malasadas yesterday for his closest family, friends and coworkers for fat tuesday AKA Malasada Day...
    But what is good homemade sweetbread suppose to taste like? King's is available in the store but it seems like a wonderbread version of homemade sweetbread. I've only had it a few times so I'd really like help from someone who's more familiar with it.
    After devouring the maladas last night his parents started talking about how their moms use to make it, especially for easter with an egg hardboiled in the middle of the loaf. I know they miss hawaii, even after all these years, especially the family and food. I'd really like to make them some for easter this year. Any comments on what the perfect loaf of sweetbread would be like would be appreciated.. density, flavourings, how sweet should it be? Do a good deed for the day and Help a haole feed a portagee hawaiian.

thanks bunches anyone who can help

Re: help a haole feed a hawaiian

What a thoughtful person you are! If you go over to www.alohaworld.com/ono (Ono Recipes), there is a recipe for Hawaiian sweetbread (also called "pao doce" which is Portuguese):
    http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe...ategory=Breads

If you wander through that site, you will also discover recipes for a lot of other "local" favorites. Your friend is very lucky to have a friend like you. If you get adventurous sometime, go make him a batch of manapua (my recipe has been judged as the best tasting manapua this side of Honolulu by a bunch of ex-pats up here) http://alohaworld.com/ono/viewrecipe.php?id=1091471138

It would be true love if you gave him a batch of those!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Oh perfect! a manapua recipe, thank you thank you. We were just talking about food we were hungry for and manapua came up. I look forward to making this with him. I think we've made or at least eaten pretty much everything I've read mentioned on this forum so far... The lomi salmon was a hit til our friends realized it was raw, sweetbread french toast has become a family tradition in MY family now on christmas. weird how food enriches your life beyond just the eating.
      With the sweetbread, I'm edgy about making something when I'm really not sure how it's suppose to turn out:/ That recipe looks nice and basic though, I know they were talking about the hint of lemon flavour in it so I guess a little lemon extract or maybe some zest. just not sure.
      anyway, just love my boyfriend and his whole family, even the ones I didn't know about treated me like family when I met them in hawaii. they're the best people. familytraditionsfood get all tangled up. I just want to make them smile. He can be my guinea pig for trying to get this sweetbread thing right before easter for his parents. many thanks, I'm going to have to look at the other recipes on those links. getting hungry thinking about it and I'm going to be eating salad for a few days in penance for 2 dozen malasadas I hoovered down yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by JoyfulGirl
        Oh perfect! a manapua recipe, thank you thank you. We were just talking about food we were hungry for and manapua came up. I look forward to making this with him. I think we've made or at least eaten pretty much everything I've read mentioned on this forum so far... The lomi salmon was a hit til our friends realized it was raw, sweetbread french toast has become a family tradition in MY family now on christmas. weird how food enriches your life beyond just the eating.
        With the sweetbread, I'm edgy about making something when I'm really not sure how it's suppose to turn out:/ That recipe looks nice and basic though, I know they were talking about the hint of lemon flavour in it so I guess a little lemon extract or maybe some zest. just not sure.
        anyway, just love my boyfriend and his whole family, even the ones I didn't know about treated me like family when I met them in hawaii. they're the best people. familytraditionsfood get all tangled up. I just want to make them smile. He can be my guinea pig for trying to get this sweetbread thing right before easter for his parents. many thanks, I'm going to have to look at the other recipes on those links. getting hungry thinking about it and I'm going to be eating salad for a few days in penance for 2 dozen malasadas I hoovered down yesterday.
        Ask your friends if they know what ceviche is. Then ask them if they've ever eaten ceviche and how they liked that. If they say they really like it, tell them lomi salmon is just Hawai'ian ceviche! The salmon really isn't raw; it's cured/cook with salt.

As for the lemon juice/zest, yes, when I make pao doce I do put about 1 tsp lemon extract and grate a little lemon in there. If you want to do the traditional Portuguese sweet bread with the egg in the middle, you need to hard boil an egg and then dye it red. Then you can either make a big coil (bake the bread in a round cake pan) and put the egg in the middle of the coil. Or you can make it like a regular loaf, put the egg in the center and then take a couple of smaller pieces of dough and make a criss-cross to hold the egg in.

Miulang

P.S. wanna kick the Sweet bread french toast up a notch? Take a package of Noh haupia mix (or you can make the haupia from scratch...go to Ono Recipes). Cut the haupia into small squares. Put the piece of haupia in between 2 slices of the sweet bread (or if the bread is unsliced, cut off a 1 1/2" slice and cut a "pocket" into that slice of bread. Then just put in your egg mixture and fry as usual. Served with coconut syrup, this is just the best French toast you will ever eat!
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here is my grandmother's famous Portuguese sweet bread recipe. This is not at all like the stuff you buy in stores. This stuff is more sturdy, stiffer than the "Wonder Bread" sweet bread.

We used to keep her sweet bread rolls in the freezer. They would keep forever, always ready to provide a delicious snack.

When she died, we kept a big bag in the freezer for several years, taking one out and sharing it on special occasions, only. When we got to the last one, we were bummed. Nobody knew how to make.

Then in 1996, my mom died. In going through her things, we came upon something marvelous: a hand-written recipe for Grandma Fergerstrom's Famous Portuguese Sweet Bread! Seems my mom had wanted to know how, and grandma gladly wrote it out for her.

I have transcribed this and put it on a web page at http://www.alohatown.com/genealogy/sweetbread.html

She left out some of the details, but you can figure it out. It is extremely labor intensive. If you attempt this, please let me know how it came out!

Aloha,

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

You can make pretty quick work of the dough if you have a heavy stand mixer with a bread paddle (like a KitchenAid). Of course, the texture will be a little different than if you made it by hand, but Blaine's right; any sweet bread you make from scratch won't be as "Wonderbread-like" soft because most home bakers don't have on hand all the artificial additives that go into one of those loaves of King Hawaiian Sweet Bread.

I personally like kneading dough. I can picture my favorite enemy and pretend I'm squishing his/her head in my hands!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
            X