The impending war with Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The impending war with Iran

So I also trotted over to the newspaper in Baku, Azerbaijan to see if they were reporting anything interesting about the situation between Tehran and the US. There was a story from Asia Times that says Tehran is becoming good buddies with China, by signing these huge deals for LNG.

"...Since the beginning of the war in Iraq, Beijing has worked feverishly to strengthen its ties with Moscow and Teheran in an apparent effort to prevent US military action against the remaining "axis of evil" members, Iran and North Korea. In addition to recent massive energy deals with Teheran, which place Iran in China's security web, both Beijing and Moscow have accelerated the transfer of missile technology to Teheran, while selling the Islamic republic increasingly sophisticated military equipment.

Armed with a vast array of anti-ship and long-range missiles, Iran can target US troop positions throughout the Middle East and strike US Navy ships. Iran can also use its weapons to blockade the Straits of Hormuz through which one-third of the world's traded oil is shipped. With the help of Beijing and Moscow, Teheran is becoming an increasingly unappealing military target for the US.

As in the Middle East, the China-Iran-Russia axis is challenging US interests in Central Asia. Washington is working feverishly to gain security footholds in Tajikistan and Kazakhstan to complement existing US military bases in Afghanistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan. China and Russia are working equally hard to assert their influence in Central Asia. A good portion of this work is being done under the auspices of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO.)

Composed of China, Russia, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, the SCO was created in 1996 and reborn in 2001 when it was bolstered to counter the initial eastward expansion of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. The SCO is becoming an increasingly powerful regional mutual security organization. Joint military maneuvers between SCO member states began in 2003. In 2004, the SCO created a rapid reaction anti-terror strike force. According to Igor Rogachev, Russia's ambassador to China, the new force is designed to combat and respond to terrorist attacks in any SCO member nation...."

And then there's this "non-aggression" agreement that was signed by Baku and Tehran which states that neither will allow a third country to set up a military base for the purpose of attacking the other country. Yeow.

Looks like the Americans have been duped again. We paid the Azeri regime big bucks to have a military base there. Is the dictator going to kick us out, now that this non-aggression treaty has been signed with Tehran, or is he going to be cagey and take what he can get from both sides?

There were demonstrations today in the capital of Baku demanding free elections and the overthrow of the current regime. My guess is we have a little hand in "helping" the protestors with advice and money, just like we did in the Ukraine.

And a report from TimesOnline (UK) today says that according to a British energy consulting company, the discovery of new large reserves of petroleum by the large multinational oil companies has not kept pace with the demand.

"... In the face of steady annual increases in demand for oil over the past decade, the West’s big oil companies largely have failed to improve the yearly exploration yield of new reserves to their portfolios, the study shows. Smaller discoveries and diminishing reserves per well are adding to pressure on oil companies in the West to gain access to large, unexploited oilfields in Russia and the Gulf states.

The Wood Mackenzie report, Global Oil and Gas Risks and Rewards, shows that typical annual returns from oil exploration — in the region of between three billion and five billion barrels — have not changed since the early 1990s. The only exception to the largely stagnant exploration trend was the discovery in 2000 of Kashagan, a ten billion barrel oilfield, in the Caspian Sea.

Graham Kellas, vice-president at Wood Mackenzie, reckons that the international oil companies were highly successful in finding oil during the past decade, but now are working in a diminishing field of opportunity. “The hunt for oil continues, but it is becoming increasingly difficult,’’ he said. “There are few areas of the world that are unexplored and that is why the larger companies are so keen to get access to areas that are off-limits.”

I tell you, this is like playing "Risk", except the fate of the world is at stake.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

a case of mistaken identity?

I really wish the White House would just keep its yap quiet and stop fueling the flames against the new President of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad by claiming he was a leader in the 1979 U.S. Embassy siege as some former hostages have said.

I was watching one of the cable news shows today where an expert on faces compared a picture of the new President and an old picture of the terrorist leader and the expert said there was no way the two men in the pictures were the same person ("eyebrows and noses are different").

Secondly, it appears it was a "fair" election, our only problem being that "our" candidate didn't win. Boohoo. I think we should just leave the Iranians to themselves.

Of course, in my cynicism, I also believe this is the opening salvo to the White House ordering an invasion of Iran (either by us or Israel). I mean, they're only one month behind schedule right now (an invasion was supposed to happen around June 6). Regime change? Hmmm...violation of the Geneva Convention and the UN sanctions against regime change? Violations? what violations (wink wink).

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang, I once told you why I stayed away from subjects of this nature. Well, tonight I can not hold back. As a mother of three soldiers, two who were in Iraq at the same time while my other child was in Korea...yes, three in War ones. One who came back with sharpnel imbedded in his chest and I think his head too. Medals, awards and certificates. Upon his return he gave me his flag...the one that every soldier carries in gear....

Yes, I am worried and now I am going through the same nightmares when it all started for Iraq. Before the war of Iraq I felt that my children were going there and two did. Christy was sent to Korea when that Korean nut was acting up. I became depressed and wanted to say many things a mother in my situation could. However, I couldn't due to the fact that all three of my children volunteered to serve. Two re-enlisted and my son was sent to Afganistan less than a year. There is no end to the feelings of worry and heartaches that I have gone through.

If we invade Iran...we will get our ass kick. They are more equipt and have the men power. It will be like sending our soldiers to a slaughter house. I will not stand by this time and not say nothing. I didn't give birth to my children to recieve them in a casket with a flag draped over.

Protect us on our shores. Not get them killed in some forsaken country half way around the world. Please stop the madness and send them home. Enough is enough.

Lynn Vasquez
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Satan, mistaken identity?

Re: a case of mistaken identity?

When Iranian peoples drove United States' US corporatUSt$', militarUSt$ puppet Mohammad Reza Pahlavi** out of Iran, they were acting in Iranian peoples' best interests. The United States' US interests in Iran were contrary to the best interests of the peoples of both the United States and Iran, as it turned out, and still turns. The identity of "the bad guys" in Shah Reza Pahlavi's Iran is, in the U.S. generally, mistaken to be those Irani who opposed the Shah and opposed the U.S. corporate/government which had coopted the Iranian peoples to serve the interests of US.

The new President of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is not the villain from Iran 1979-1980; but, United States' US is.
          **Mohammad Reza Pahlavi replaced his father on the throne on September 16, 1941. He wanted to continue the reform policies of his father, but a contest for control of the government soon erupted between the shah and an older professional politician, the nationalistic Mohammad Mosaddeq.

Despite his vow to act as a constitutional monarch who would defer to the power of the parliamentary government, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi increasingly involved himself in governmental affairs and opposed or thwarted strong prime ministers. Prone to indecision, however, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi relied more on manipulation than on leadership. He concentrated on reviving the army and ensuring that it would remain under royal control as the monarchy's main power base. In 1949 an assassination attempt on the Shah, attributed to the pro-Soviet Tudeh Party, resulted in the banning of that party and the expansion of the Shah's constitutional powers.

In 1951, Premier Mohammed Mossadeq, a militant nationalist, forced the parliament to nationalize the British-owned oil industry. Mossadeq was opposed by the Shah and was removed, but he quickly returned to power. The Shah fled Iran but returned when supporters staged a coup against Mossadeq in August 1953. Mossadeq was then arrested by pro-Shah army forces. The participation of the American CIA and British SAS in orchestrating the coup against Mossadeq is still cited by Iranians of all political stripes as a major milestone energizing the movement which culminated in the 1979 revolution.
          In the context of regional turmoil and the Cold War, the Shah established himself as an indispensable ally of the West. Domestically, to coopt the forces arrayed against him, he advocated reform policies, culminating in the 1963 program known as the White Revolution, which included land reform, extension of voting rights to women, and the elimination of illiteracy. Ironically, he was only able to afford these programs because of the wealth that the government had accumulated due to Mossadeq's oil nationalization program.

These measures and the increasing arbitrariness of the Shah's rule provoked religious leaders who feared losing their traditional authority, intellectuals seeking democratic reforms and national dignity, and workers seeking basic unionization rights, better wages and working conditions. These opponents criticized the Shah for violation of the constitution, which placed limits on royal power and provided for a representative government, and for subservience to the United States. The Shah saw himself as heir to the kings of ancient Iran, and in 1971 he held an extravagant celebration of 2,500 years of Persian monarchy. In 1976 he replaced the Islamic calendar with an "imperial" calendar, which began with the foundation of the Persian empire more than 25 centuries earlier. These actions were viewed as anti-Islamic and resulted in religious opposition.

Collapse of the dynasty
          The Shah's government suppressed and marginalized its opponents with the help of Iran's security and intelligence organization, SAVAK. Relying on oil revenues, which sharply increased in late 1973, the Shah pursued his goal of developing Iran as a strong regional power dedicated to social reform and economic development. Yet he continually sidestepped democratic arrangements and refused to allow meaningful civic and political liberties, remaining unresponsive to public opinion.

By the mid-1970s the Shah reigned amidst widespread discontent caused by the continuing repressiveness of his government, socioeconomic changes that benefited some classes at the expense of others, and the increasing gap between the ruling elite and the disaffected populace.
          (cont'd at wikipedia.com)

Comment

Re: Satan, mistaken identity?

Originally posted by waioli kai

When Iranian peoples drove United States' US corporatUSt$', militarUSt$

What did you say?

Comment

Re: Satan, mistaken identity?

Originally posted by MadAzza
              What did you say?
              As, apparently, you have no cognizant connection to 1978, 1979, 1980 Iran, especially in the context of militarUSt$', corporatUSt$' subjugation of Iran via the delusions of grandeur of U.S. puppet Mohammed Reza Pahlavi and his (and US's) SAVAK, there is nothing that I can add to what I wrote that can fill you in.

If you are truly interested in learning more about Iran with regard to how and what US corporatUSt$, militarUStS did/do there that earned/earns U.S.'s US the name "The Great Satan" in Iran, and elsewhere, reading in All the Shah's Men: An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror by Stephen Kinzer could be a sound beginning.
              Last edited by waioli kai; July 5, 2005, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Waaaaay back in June, I reported here that the White House had given the OK for Israel to attack Iran in 2005. Thank God clearer heads prevailed and no military action was declared, even though there was an escalation in rhetoric coming out of the US and Iran.

Now, with the serious (and possibly fatal) illness of Pres. Ariel Sharon of Israel, there will be huge political turmoil in Israel. Sharon's Kadima party, which he was in the process of forming, was destined to win in this coming March's Israeli national elections. Without Sharon in the lead, however, it might be difficult for Kadima (which is considered a centrist political group) to defeat Likud (a very nationalist, pro-Israeli group). If Likud wins the majority of seats in March, the hawks in that party (including former Pres. Benjamin Netanyahu) will certainly try to undo all that Sharon has accomplished to bring peace between Israel and the Palestineans.

Since the President and his cabinet have already given tacit permission for Israel to bomb Iran (under the pretense of Iran building up its nuclear---read WMD---capability), there is a good possibility that as we pull troops out of Iraq, their next stop might be Teheran. I'm sure the White House is looking for any excuse it can fabricate to repeat the debacle that is Iraq, but in this case we wouldn't be the direct aggressors; we'd just be "helping out" our Israeli friends. And since it appears that we won't be able to control the oil fields in Iraq, maybe we can try to control the oil fields in Iran instead. After all, the head of the Iranian oil ministry is trying to get all countries of the world to buy Iranian oil in euros instead of dollars, which is a direct slap at the United States and would weaken our position in the world currency market.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; January 7, 2006, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Re: a thriving USraeli enterprise

US War on Iran is a thriving USraeli enterprise ever since Reza Shah Pahlavi was on the Kissinger fast-tract to asylum (albeit short-lived cancer treatment) in US's New England, together with US expropriation of Iranian assets following the overthrow/ouster of USrael's puppet Shah in Iran and his/US's Savik security forces which were oppressing Iranians much as then and later were Iraqis oppressed by US's puppet Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

U.S. Military personnel on the ground in Iraq inadvertantly act as hostages in the prevention of USraeli U.S. or Israel bombing of Iran. Such USraeli bombing(s) in Iran would likely ignite an assured destruction of the United States on which the vast majority of the world would agree was a destruction uniquely deserving to US, though unfortunately a burden mostly borne not by US (the likes of Carlyle Group, Morgan Stanley, Citibank corporatUSt, militarUSt elitUSt of the West) but a burden borne predominantly by the middle and lower classes of the United States.

Comment

militarUSt$' Space weapons

13 killed in Iranian military plane crash
                    Revolutionary Guards commander among those killed, state media says
                    AP Updated: 6:06 a.m. ET Jan. 9, 2006
                    TEHRAN, Iran - A small military jet crashed in northwestern Iran on Monday, killing the commander of the ground forces of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards and at least 12 other people, state media said.
                    It was the second time in two months that a military plane crashed in Iran while attempting to make an emergency landing. ...

One may increasingly be led to believe that Secretary Rice's Star Wars (or whatever militarUSts now call or nickname their space weapons platforms and delivery systems) weaponry is bearing fruit for US warlords. A second known downing of an Iranian military plane in as many weeks.

Have militarUSt$ indeed succeeded in their dream of their being able to wreak destruction and death on Earth from weapon systems above Earth? If still not yet, it is surely not because they are not trying their damnedest, throwing untold U.S. treasure into their effort of establishing corporatUSt$' dominion over Earth.

Comment

terrorUSt$' attacks

'How do you feel about the terrorists attacks on civilians in Iraq and elsewhere?'
                      Not much different than about feelings toward terrorUSt$' Hellfire missiles being rained down to explode upon civilians in Pakistan yesterday to try to kill a man whose (militant anti-terrorUSt?) wife and child were some time ago already killed by terrorUSt$.

===== === ==
                      "How do you feel about the bellicose statements made by the Iranian President, threatening war, death, and destruction?"
                      You got your presidential sources of such statements mixed up. It is your USraeli President Bush and the mindset for whom he speaks wherefrom such statements emanate.

==== === ==
                      'Do you think Iran's plans should be interdicted to spare us this additional concern?'
                      Alleged plans for what? Speeding up the rottening process of the decay of the United States under the grip of corporatUSt$' fascUSt militarUSism? Is it really possible to speed up that process faster than it is going? Would corporatUSt$' interdiction in militarUSt$' alleged "Iran's plans" slow the process or add to its corruptionUSt inertia?

=== === ==
                      'How would you suggest eliminating this threat to world peace?'
                      There is a state in the world that is more a threat to world peace than the United States' corporatUSt state? What are Iran's plans for Latin America compared to militarUSt$' actions and plans? Iran's plans for Space weapons systems compared to militarUSt$' actions and plans?

To be a more precise allegation than "threat to world peace" is "threat to US oil supply hegemon".

=== == ==
                      'Or do you support war and murder if the Iranians, for example, are the perpetrators?'

War and murder perpetrated by Iran, on the level of War and murder perpetrated by USraeli corporatUSt force$ and interest$? May as well equate an upset stomach to AIDS.

=== == =
                      'How would you neutralize these people who have declared their intent to wreak havoc on this planet and are just awaiting development of logistical means to do so?'
                      At this point in time, only a global hegemon can wreak havoc on a planetary scale, and it is US who is the global hegemon of the era whose very foundation is based first on wreaking havoc on peoples then absorbing their lands, resources and surviving inhabitants in the name of promoting freedom and democracy, the "free market" and justUS.

== == =
                      'Would you suggest the United States sit by passively rather than being proactive and protecting its interests.'
                      Protecting immorally gained, illegitimate, imperialist interUSt$ cannot lead to anything good for Humanity.

== = =
                      'You do know that the terrorists have not been reluctant to kill Americans. Remember all of the attacks culminating in 9/11.'
                      Your "terrorists" understand your "America" better than you do. They understand that the United States is run by elitUSt$, a minority whose power is derived from a sickly, corrupt, secretive corporatist government that is economically bankrupt and pushing the limits of that which popular ignorance can tolerate. Your "terrorists" understand that the average United States citizen is not as truly worshipful of elitUSt$ as are elitUSt$ worshipful of themselves.

= = =
                      '.... a realistic method for restraining a theocratically motivated madman?'

A theocratically motivated madman? That leaves out Richard Cheney, US's superhenchman who is motivated for personal reasons. So it remains to consider realistic methods for restraining gwBush. Chairman of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee Arlen Specter today acknowledged that impeachment is a possible remedy, though he suggested that electoral processes usually prevail in providing such restraints on US's theocratically motivated madmen and madwomen.

Comment

cleptocratic corporataucrUSy

poll created: Friday, January 13, 2006, at 15:35:49 EDT from today's cnn late edition poll on
                        "What is the best way to handle Iran's nuclear program?'

Diplomacy 55%
                        Sanctions 18%
                        Military action 27%
                        Were the United States a truly thriving democracy, one would not be wrong to be encouraged by such a poll, but, the United States is not such a democracy. The United States is a cleptocratic corporataucracy that extends from the first thefts (aka, "blessings") by some Puritan English exiles emptied from the bowels of the Mayflower to become an English investment consortium's "settlers" in what they initially deemed to be British "North Virginia", not fundamentally different from how Iraq is now deemed to be FOB East Fort Knox, Eastern Pennsylvannia Oil Patch, Eastern Israel, or whatever Iraq is in the minds of US corporatUSt$ militarists led by the Cheneybushites of the United States.

Comment

Well, the drums are getting louder for our involvement (directly or via Israel) in Iran. Another pseudo-WMD scare?

"...Is the United States about to launch a second preemptive war, against a nation that has not attacked us, to deprive it of weapons of mass destruction that it does not have?

With U.S. troops tied down in Afghanistan and Iraq, and Pakistanis inflamed over a U.S. airstrike that wiped out 13 villagers, including women and children, it would seem another war in the Islamic world is the last thing America needs.

Yet, the "military option" against Iran is the talk of the town.

"There is only one thing worse than ... exercising the military option," says Sen. John McCain. "That is a nuclear-armed Iran. The military option is the last option, but cannot be taken off the table."

Appearing on CBS's "Face the Nation," McCain said Iran's nuclear program presents "the most grave situation we have faced since the end of the Cold War, absent the whole war on terror."

Meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Bush employed the same grim terms he used before invading Iraq. If Iran goes forward with nuclear enrichment, said Bush, it could "pose a grave threat to the security of the world."

McCain and Bush both emphasized the threat to Israel. And all the usual suspects are beating the drums for war. Israel warns that March is the deadline after which she may strike. One reads of F-16s headed for the Gulf. The Weekly Standard is feathered and painted for the warpath. The Iranian Chalabis are playing their assigned roles, warning that Tehran is much closer to nukes than we all realize. ..."

Miulang

Comment

Our government is being extremely hypocritical about Iran and its determination to harness nuclear energy to provide power to its people because some factions within our government advocate OUR use of nuclear energy to provide alternate power sources for us!

"...With energy demand spiraling and markets volatile, the US administration and the energy industry are looking to nuclear power to lessen dependency on traditional fuel sources.

"I think we have a tremendous need and responsibility to provide nuclear power," White House Chief of Staff Andy Card said in a speech at the US Chamber of Commerce last week.

Card also said that only part of the responsibility for reducing dependence on foreign sources of energy lay with the government.

"We also have an obligation to pay attention to the private sector," he said.

Last year's energy act provides a series of incentives and federal subventions for companies building nuclear power facilities in an effort to end what amounts to a 20-year moratorium on new plants.

Officials said the Card speech was part of drive by the administration to highlight the potential for nuclear power to reduce dependence on sources of energy - like Middle Eastern oil - that are both subject to potential supply disruption because of political instability, and produce greenhouse gases which may contribute to climate change.

"This administration has been clear on the need to expand the use of nuclear power," Craig Stevens, press secretary for the Department of Energy, told United Press International, adding that only 20 percent of the nation's energy supply currently comes from nuclear power. ..."

Why is it OK for the United States to build more nuclear power plants to reduce our need for imported oil and other countries cannot? Just because some countries (like Iran) have despotic leaders who might get trigger happy? What makes the American public think that our current leadership couldn't also get that trigger happy at some point?

Miulang

Comment

Even the Jerusalem newspapers are reporting that Israel is preparing for the possibility of attacking Iran by air:

"...IAF pilots have completed their mission training and fighter jets have been prepared for an Israeli attack on Iran, the British Sunday Times reported.

The article reported that "the elite 69 strategic F-15 I squadron" had been equipped with weapons that will be tested in combat for the first time, and that two missile submarines were on standby: one in the Persian Gulf and the second in Haifa Bay.

The Times also said that special IDF forces would be helicoptered into Iran to take out targets that could not be destroyed in an air strike.

Iran's nuclear facilities, according to the newspaper report, are widely dispersed at some 40 underground sites throughout Iran, which would make any attack by Israel - or any other nation - exponentially more difficult that Israel's successful attack on Iraq's Osirak nuclear reactor in 1981.

Col. [res] Ze'ev Raz, the former IAF pilot who led the Osirak mission, was quoted by the Times as saying, "What we now have is a lot of targets, which makes the operation much more difficult."

Raz believes an aerial assault on Iran's nuclear facilities is possible. There are many things that the IAF has done over the past few years that the public is not aware of, and it has made many important advances in mid-air refueling. Israel can strike the Iranian nuclear program, Raz said on Israel's Channel 1 TV's Politika program last week.

Former IDF Deputy Chief of Staff Uzi Dayan said last week that if Iran gets nuclear weapons, then so would terror organizations, like Hizbullah. "Israel needs to be ready to act on a military option," Dayan said. "Without getting into details, Israel is capable of doing these things." ...

Whoever pisses farther is going to determine whether or not we face another oil crisis with the loss of oil production in Iran. And if Iran loses, we'll be helping Israel by providing them with all the warheads they need.

Miulang

Comment

Interesting theory of why the US wants to go to war with Iran and why it really decided to occupy Iraq. It was not for the oil per se, but for the control of the method of paying for the oil.

In March of this year, Iran will move from accepting payment for its oil from the US dollar to the Euro. The only countries that will suffer from this move will be the US (whose dollar will be worth squat in the world's economy) and our long-suffering friends, the Brits. And even they may move away from us for expediency, because they are more closely allied by geography to the Europeans across the channel who all trade now in Euros.

What will this do to our economy? It will ruin it, because our dollars will purchase less and less. Hence the government's move to thwart the oil-producing Middle East from moving to the Euro bourse. It wouldn't surprise me if Israel starts its aerial attacks of Iran around March, with our warheads.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X