I Miss My Local Food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Miss My Local Food!

Liliha Bakery.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ono!!!!!

Sadly, I didn't get around to going there last visit back home. I did however get pretty much everywhere else, especially Ono Hawaiian Foods to have one kine lau lau plate lunch. It just doesn't get better than that. Well, except polishing it off with my Leonard's custard filled malasada and some honeydew shave ice. I gained 10 lb in one week! But ho was it worth it, even if it was a pain to lose!
    Last edited by Lei K; February 17, 2005, 07:25 PM.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Oh, man, you guys are making me hungry.

Miulang: Do you know if they still make Guri Guri ice cream on Maui?

[Administrator: Sorry for turning this into the kaukau thread! ]
      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
        Oh, man, you guys are making me hungry.

Miulang: Do you know if they still make Guri Guri ice cream on Maui?

[Administrator: Sorry for turning this into the kaukau thread! ]
        Hui U'ilani:
        Yes, Tasaka Guri Guri in the Maui Mall is still open. They pack stuff for shipping, too, but I think it's only for interisland travel and not for the Mainland (although if they put it on dry ice, it might not melt).

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I am going to date myself but reading these entries made me feel homesick. I use to go to Liliha and Dutch Girl bakeries all of the time. Dutch Girl has been gone for years.

I saw the entry about Masu's and I recalled that Honda's was originally at that location for so long. It was an institution. I am glad that Masu's has carried Honda's torch.

Now I am lucky because I live a few blocks from Kona Kitchen in North Seattle. So if I have a craving for kalua pig, saimin, or loco moco I just stop in there. Yuji, the bad guy from Karate Kid II, and his wife Angie own the place. Both are really great folk and hard workers. If you want to karaoke, that is the place to go. Good Hawaiian music selection to choose from. Bar is laid back and the regulars are nice -- many of them are from the islands. Check it out if you are in the neighborhood.

Comment

When I'm on the Mainland, I crave Leonard's malasadas, jindui (spelling?), coconut balls, dried plums and mochi.

Thank gord I'm not on the Mainland.

Comment

This thread makes a strong case for Seattle.

If I couldn't live in Hawaii for some reason.. was thinking of the State of Washington.. another I was recently getting curious about was Florida.. but just don't think it would compare - don't know though - never been there.

Would prefer Honolulu though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
                This thread makes a strong case for Seattle.

If I couldn't live in Hawaii for some reason.. was thinking of the State of Washington.. another I was recently getting curious about was Florida.. but just don't think it would compare - don't know though - never been there.

Would prefer Honolulu though.
                I wouldn't want to live in FL...too hot and muggy and prone to hurricanes! Seattle is a good compromise to actually living in Hawai'i because it doesn't get too hot or too cold, you have access to more amenities than they have in Hawai'i and it's slightly cheaper to live here (although Seattle has been called the most overrated city in the continental US). It's only a 4 hour plane ride to Hawai'i, too. Lots of former Hawai'i residents have emigrated to the state of WA, most because of economic reasons. That's why we have lots of places that serve local style Hawaiian food up here.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hi Miulang,

So, Since You Wen Live On Maui Foa Some Time. You No Remember
                  Komoda Bakery Up In Makawao. They Make Some Ono Kine Cream
                  Puff`s Too! Da Only Thing Is Dey No Make The Chocolate Kine Like
                  Liliha Bakery. Even Liliha Bakery Pastry Some Ono.

I Dunno If You Rememeber The King`s Bakery Restaurant Had On

Oahu And The Ono Sweet Bread... Dat Was The Bomb Especially

Da Sweet Bread Frech Toast......... Oh I Hungry!!!! Oggboy
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                    Hi Miulang,

So, Since You Wen Live On Maui Foa Some Time. You No Remember
                    Komoda Bakery Up In Makawao. They Make Some Ono Kine Cream
                    Puff`s Too! Da Only Thing Is Dey No Make The Chocolate Kine Like
                    Liliha Bakery. Even Liliha Bakery Pastry Some Ono.

I Dunno If You Rememeber The King`s Bakery Restaurant Had On

Oahu And The Ono Sweet Bread... Dat Was The Bomb Especially

Da Sweet Bread Frech Toast......... Oh I Hungry!!!! Oggboy
                    Yeah, I remember Komoda Bakery. Everytime I go holoholo kaa Maui (we usually stay Kula side) I gotta make at least one trip to Komoda for da long johns and cream puffs and now da lilikoi and guava malasadas.

You know who make dakine chocolate filled malasadas, I tink? You know Sweet Treats (or something lidat...next to 24-hour Fitness in Kahului)? I tink dey go make dakine chocolate filled malasadas, or maybe was creampuff. Dey get onolicious kine pastries. So if you no like go all da way up to Makawao, go to da bakery next to da 24-Hour Fitness (right on da Hana Hwy before you hit Dairy Rd).

King's Bakery wen go sell out to somebody else, so even us guys get King's Sweet Bread up here. Cannot beat da Leonard's Bakery pao duce though. I rememba wen Lucky Luck used to advertise on TV for dem guys...he would take one biiiiig round loaf, crack 'em in half and den stick one half in his mouth! You rememba dat? I make haupia Hawaiian French toast now. Go take one thick piece sweet bread and cut one pocket in da middle (or 2 slices, if cut). Get one 1" sq. piece of haupia and put in da middle of da 2 pieces of bread. Den go soak 'em in da milk/egg/cinnamon mixture and fry in butter. When pau cook, go put coconut syrup on top. Garans you going fall unda da table so onolicious!

Miulang

P.S. I wen get da idea for da haupia french toast from da Halekulani Hotel. Dey used to serve dat befoa.
                    Last edited by Miulang; July 29, 2005, 04:00 PM.

Comment

EH MIULANG,
                      DAT IS SOMETING I GOING TRY..... THIS ONE IS FROM ME, TRY STUFFED
                      FRENCH TOAST WITH BANANAS.. SAME TING LIKE HOW YOU MAKE BANANA
                      PANCAKE. I DUNNO IF YOU LIKE COTTAGE-CHEESE BUT IF YOU LIKE TRY
                      MIXING WITH BLUEBERRIES OR ANY TYPE FRUIT YOU LIKE DEN FRY,
                      SPRINKLE WITH POWDERED SUGAR. ENJOY!!!!!!!
                      OH YEA, DAT BAKERY YOU TALKING ABOUT IS CALLED SIMLY SWEETS,
                      AND YOUR RIGHT DEY GET SOME ONO PASTRIES......OGGBOY..

p.s. YEAH I NO KINGS BAKERY WEN SELL OUT AND NOW THEY STAY
                      ALL OVA DA PLACE.
                      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                        EH MIULANG,
                        DAT IS SOMETING I GOING TRY..... THIS ONE IS FROM ME, TRY STUFFED
                        FRENCH TOAST WITH BANANAS.. SAME TING LIKE HOW YOU MAKE BANANA
                        PANCAKE. I DUNNO IF YOU LIKE COTTAGE-CHEESE BUT IF YOU LIKE TRY
                        MIXING WITH BLUEBERRIES OR ANY TYPE FRUIT YOU LIKE DEN FRY,
                        SPRINKLE WITH POWDERED SUGAR. ENJOY!!!!!!!
                        OH YEA, DAT BAKERY YOU TALKING ABOUT IS CALLED SIMLY SWEETS,
                        AND YOUR RIGHT DEY GET SOME ONO PASTRIES......OGGBOY..

p.s. YEAH I NO KINGS BAKERY WEN SELL OUT AND NOW THEY STAY
                        ALL OVA DA PLACE.
                        Woohoo! Good ting da weekend. I tink I going try make banana french toast maybe Sunday...I get guava syrup, so should be onolicious!

Mahalos,
                        Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

go to da bakery next to da 24-Hour Fitness
                          If da bakery was also 24/7, one could theoretically perpetually bounce back and forth going to each venue.

Yeah, Miulang?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            If da bakery was also 24/7, one could theoretically perpetually bounce back and forth going to each venue.

Yeah, Miulang?
                            I always thought that was kinda funny...to have a calorie-laden bakery right next to a place where you could burn all the carbs off! In my case, it would be 15 minutes of lacksidasical stationary bike riding for every 3 guava or lilikoi malasadas eaten...perfect ratio.

Miulang

Comment

Good One

Simply Sweets, Open 24/7 For Your Convenience.........oggboy
                              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                                I wouldn't want to live in FL...too hot and muggy and prone to hurricanes! Seattle is a good compromise to actually living in Hawai'i because it doesn't get too hot or too cold, you have access to more amenities than they have in Hawai'i and it's slightly cheaper to live here (although Seattle has been called the most overrated city in the continental US). It's only a 4 hour plane ride to Hawai'i, too. Lots of former Hawai'i residents have emigrated to the state of WA, most because of economic reasons. That's why we have lots of places that serve local style Hawaiian food up here.

Miulang
                                4 hours?!!? Thats good!

Interesting about Seattle being the most overrated city. I wonder how many Hawaiians are living in and around Las Vegas.

My girlfriend lives in Vegas.. and when I've visited here.. I've seen a few Hawaiian restaurants like L&M (I think its called?) and others. Plus constant new housing at affordable prices around Las Vegas.

Comment

Working...
                                X