Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: m.a.c. ; mother of all computers...

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

And really it shouldn't be Apple/Mac vs PC. Actually even a Mac is a PC. PC is just an acronym for Personal Computer which is what a Mac is as opposed to Unpersonal Computer.

PC by now, regardless of its original acronym, implies a windows platform. IBM compatible.
    kinda funny how personal computer (p.c.) as they all are... is windoze.
    Last edited by kimo55; February 24, 2005, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      But a Mac...whoa baby, try programming a Mac. What makes it an easy OS up front at the user level is a nightmare in binary. Which is the very opposite with MS-DOS.
      You can't honestly be saying you enjoy programming on the Windows platform. Also, you do know OSX is essentially BSD right?
      I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

funny how all the Mac owners have to justify why they have a Mac. us, PC users, do we care? do PC users care that Macs are better at graphics editing? nope.
        Fair and Balanced

Comment

Originally posted by easTTriver
          funny how all the Mac owners have to justify why they have a Mac.

we don't "have to"

it's just that when we are slagged too often for living in bliss on a far superior platform, we will respond.

Comment

Attention Mac users: You have just been infected with the Podagee Virus!! Email this message to everyone in your address book, then ERASE YOUR HARD DRIVE!! GOOD FOR YOU, BABOOZE!

(Why, yes, I AM Portuguese! And yes, I am a major Mac user.)
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
              Attention Mac users: You have just been infected with the Podagee Virus!!
              ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

Comment

Originally posted by easTTriver
                funny how all the Mac owners have to justify why they have a Mac. us, PC users, do we care? do PC users care that Macs are better at graphics editing? nope.
                I've got a mac. I've also got x86 boxes running windows and linux. Hell, I even have some SGI systems running IRIX, and a whole bunch of Solaris systems I have to deal with at work.

I'd just like to say, for the record: The Mac just works. It really requires the least fucking around with to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa
                  I'd just like to say, for the record: The Mac just works. It really requires the least fucking around with to do anything.

yep. exactimo.
                  and not just the much alluded to graphics:
                  excel, number crunching, word processing, page layout, multimedia, video editing, sound editing, it all just works better on a mac.
                  Last edited by kimo55; February 25, 2005, 08:24 AM.

Comment

One of the main reasons why Windoze computers get hacked more often is because they present more of a target of opportunity for the idjits who have time on their hands. There are more Windoze machines used in business than Macs or Linux. So the thinking of the hackers is they get more of a bang for their buck if they hack the MS boxes with IE especially. As large businesses become more diligent about doing monthly MS security patches (as my company has), the vulnerability of large numbers of Windoze boxes is going to go down. So then the hackers only have the general consumer to hack, and that's not as challenging because consumers generally are more lax about computer security than large businesses are.

As other browsers and OS's become more popular in the business world (because of the incessant attacks on the Windoze boxes), more and more hackers will be practicing their evil on those other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Mozilla) and other OS's (Mac and Linux).

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

years ago, in the neolithic era of the mac classic, I was a compooter consultant; mac and PC both. hated dos. Didn't like that version of windoze.
                      (which was just a response to PC users by the industry when they saw the beauty of Mac's GUI and wanted sum o dat. Windows = copy of the mac interface)
                      But I worked it and knew it more than the chumps tossing money at me.

Now, I couldn't see myself on a PC. as stated before, it's as if trying to slip a left handed glove on a right hand. Just doesn't fit.
                      the curser is very jumpy.
                      Resolution is lousy.
                      WMV and Real are nowhere as smooth or advanced as quicktime. and 90 % plus of all QT downloads from the apple site, are dowloaded by windoze users.
                      They know it is the standard.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/quicktime.html
                      Last edited by kimo55; February 25, 2005, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        Now, I couldn't see myself on a PC. as stated before, it's as if trying to slip a left handed glove on a right hand. Just doesn't fit.
                        In order to effectively use a pc, I have to install a 3rd party X server as well as a full suite of unix-like tools. After this is done I still have to tweak a bunch of stuff to get rootless X running. I'm just glad I finally figured out how to change the IP address using the native windows command line tools. In short: It's a real bother to get an XP system to a usable state.

This is my personal nerd view on the subject. For non-unix heads it's still a huge bother: I just installed XP on a system last week, and I had to run windows update like 7 times (each requiring a reboot) to get it up to the current patch level. What a headache. Also, what's up with the OEM distributors (eg: Dell, Fujitsu) providing only a preinstalled OS with no media?

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa
                          This is my personal nerd view on the subject. For non-unix heads it's still a huge bother: I just installed XP on a system last week, and I had to run windows update like 7 times (each requiring a reboot) to get it up to the current patch level. What a headache. Also, what's up with the OEM distributors (eg: Dell, Fujitsu) providing only a preinstalled OS with no media?
                          I think it's an incidious way to keep people from "sharing" their OS media with their friends (and thereby causing mucho lost revenoo to the OS vendors). I think you're still entitled to a boot floppy though.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Windows Virus or Worm of the Day List

1. Bookworm 2004 (sends you to Amazon.com to buy books on .NET programming.)

2. Spam, Eggs, Bacon and Spam. (That hasn't got much spam in it.)

3. W32 Sleazeball (made from hardened spam grease.)

4. W32 IWishIWereAMac.NET (tries to convince Windows user that his is just as good.)

5. W32 PaperClip (the little "help" guy from Windows takes over your machine and won't take no for an answer!)

Pa-dum-dum!
                            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              we completely cover this concern many times thru the mac pc threads. read em.
                              I no can find yum.. but thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                                One of the main reasons why Windoze computers get hacked more often is because they present more of a target of opportunity for the idjits who have time on their hands. There are more Windoze machines used in business than Macs or Linux. So the thinking of the hackers is they get more of a bang for their buck if they hack the MS boxes with IE especially. As large businesses become more diligent about doing monthly MS security patches (as my company has), the vulnerability of large numbers of Windoze boxes is going to go down. So then the hackers only have the general consumer to hack, and that's not as challenging because consumers generally are more lax about computer security than large businesses are.

As other browsers and OS's become more popular in the business world (because of the incessant attacks on the Windoze boxes), more and more hackers will be practicing their evil on those other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Mozilla) and other OS's (Mac and Linux).

Miulang
                                Ahhh ok... thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X