This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Michael Qseng

It's true. Obits are being prepared all over town. Watch the news tonight, read the paper tomorrow, etc.
    (I'm not the one doing the story, so, just to be clear, this is not an attempt at self-promotion.)
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Re: Michael QSeng dead in Bangkok?

We are shocked by the untimely departure of our friend...

Many of us have had the good fortune of working with Michael...

In the halls today we reminisced...

The Super Bowl Bet he lost with Danielle Tucker and had to Cruise the Ala Wai on a Jet ski wearing a Tuxedo and a Hula skirt

Giving away a Breast Implant... long before Stern et al... but not the operation just the prosthesis... because 2 were better than 3.

The Oops Upside your head song...

the Morning Madness Shuffle...

Marvelous Mare, Chris Chang, Jung Ho, Dr. Sports, Sr. Everthings Gonna Be Allright, Susan Page, Loyd Kandel, Sam Litzinger, Mary Scott-Lau, Jedai the Wonder Dog, Blanch Du Boise, Keri Steel and of course Danielle Tucker

He was the deffinition of Prep... by the time he arrived at the station (usually 3:30 am) he had seen the top 5 prime time shows from the night before, all the local news casts (both 6 and 10 pm), the Late Show and the Tonight Show, CNN and listened to AP radio on the way in.

He read every major magazine, the WSJ, 3 prep services and sufred the Internet before most people knew there was an internet. Hw wold cut stories and tape them to 3x5 cards so he would always have something to say.

Many don't know that he was the Q's public service director reading all the PSA requests... what better way to know whats happening around town.

He was Simon Cowl before it was hip... he was brave enough to say what everone was thinking but too polite to say.

So much to remember... his talent, his loyalty, his charecter and his charity...

I remember when Challenger 7 happened and we discussed at length President Regan's speach and Michale's favorite part...

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved good-bye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

Comment

Re: Michael QSeng dead in Bangkok?

Rest In Peace Michael QSeng!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Remembering Michael Qseng

I liked the Star-Bulletin write-up:

Former isle deejay amused and outraged with antics
        Rod Antone, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Friday, March 4, 2005
        Those who remember his antics said Jones was controversial before controversy became the norm among Honolulu radio deejays. One of his more infamous on-air pranks involved a breast implant giveaway, but only the silicone implant and not the surgical operation. "Oh boy, we got some heat for that," said Chris Chang, Jones' morning show producer at KQMQ from 1986 to 1993. "It was just a silly giveaway, but we had tons of people entering to win this implant, and women's rights groups were protesting and everything."
        An Internet-based travel agency in Amsterdam? Trips to Thailand? Somehow, it fits.

Comment

Michael was a great friend to me.

The first time I saw him was on TV with his Midnight Madness show... B-Movies and a live audience... does anyone remember that?

While I was in college I used to go over to his apartment and help him with his Macintosh. We met after I won his "last caller" contest when he was at the Q. We had a mutual love for the Macintosh and became fast friends. He was a true tech head even back in the early 1990's. I lent him his first internet dial-up account (my UH account at the time) and it was from that time his interest in the internet grew. Even before the internet was about to bloom, Michael used online services for info and was even a secretly a member of a local chat community... those were the days!

He was a tireless worker... Whenever I would see him he'd be researching the news or prepping for the next mornings show, often till 10pm. The man got to the station by 3:30am everyday! Jedi the wonderdog would always be asleep somewhere in the apartment as he typed away on his Mac.

I miss the days of hanging out in the mornings with Michael, Chris Chang, Kimo Akane and Kari Steele over at the KRATER studios in Kailua. Michael was nice enough to ask me to design his Morning Madness logo and it also led way to getting KRATER on as the first Hawaii station on the internet. Remarkably, I was on hold the other week and during that time I heard Kari Steele's voice on some mainland radio station. I take it shes doing well.

Sadly shortly around `96 or so I lost touch with Michael.

I had always hoped he would make a comeback to radio one day. In fact I was talking to my buddy the other week about it... that what radio needs is Michael Qseng on the air again. Sadly that will never be now.

Michael J. Qseng...
          you will be missed.
          Rest in peace my friend.

Comment

Mahalo for sharing. Your story and rememberance of him gave me chicken skin as wrote from your HEART! Once again, Mahalo!

Comment

The Star Bulletin story was good, except for the way they kept referring to him as "Jones." That was just kind of weird -- we all knew him as Michael Qseng! Entertainment personalities go by stage names all the time, and when they pass on, we still refer to them by their stage name -- why did the S-B insist on calling him "Michael Jones"??

Comment

Originally posted by Doctah
                why did the S-B insist on calling him "Michael Jones"??
                Because they're SoB's?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctah
                  The Star Bulletin story was good, except for the way they kept referring to him as "Jones." That was just kind of weird -- we all knew him as Michael Qseng! Entertainment personalities go by stage names all the time, and when they pass on, we still refer to them by their stage name -- why did the S-B insist on calling him "Michael Jones"??
                  I too found it kinda strange as Michael never refered to himself as Jones... Quiseng but never Jones...

Comment

Originally posted by kimonostereo

Michael used online services for info and was even a secretly a member of a local chat community...
                    Now you've got me curious. Can you recall what that chatroom's name was, or what Michael's handle might have been? Was it maybe one of the chatrooms like IzChat located at IRH.com?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      Now you've got me curious. Can you recall what that chatroom's name was, or what Michael's handle might have been? Was it maybe one of the chatrooms like IzChat located at IRH.com?

This was before the internet even came into existance. Michael was a regular just no one had ever met him or knew who he was except the person who owned the chat system and perhaps myself and anyone else he told about it.

Comment

Howzit folks........
                        I was SHOCKED when I learned on his passing via the Star Bulletin's web page or was it the Advertiser that I saw a link saying that he passed away....

The one thing that I highly miss is his gossip columnist segments that started off w/ bippity boppity boo

I did see him one time in person at Hulas once at the old location..... Was too shy to say Hi then.....

Comment

I too was shocked to hear of his passing, which was announced that evening on-air on KQMQ. Especially knowing that he must have been no older than his 50's.

I really enjoyed his KQMQ radio show.. I remember him being full of personality, energy, wit, knowledgeable and at the top of radio in his day at the Q.

Michael and Uncle Willy.. two great legends of the Q.. Shall you both rest in peace.. aloha oe.

In light of this, there have been countless articles published recently about the epidemic of heart disease in the U.S., a problem that goes hand-in-hand with Willy Moku's fight with diabetes. Poor diet and lack of exercise can really hurt us all.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm not in Hawaii anymore, so I wasn't able to hear if KQMQ did any sort of special tribute to Michael Qseng -- their website doesn't say anything, but it doesn't look like they update it all that often. Does anyone know if the station did anything? It would have been classy for them to perhaps play an old tape of him doing some bits.

Comment

I'm wondering if any of you have tapes of his shows?

I know Michael always taped all his shows in the studio... or at least the times I was there he'd record them...

Comment

Working...
                              X