seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Default Re: Surfing

Quote Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
    wow intense!

I always thought, "you can't beat women.........it's a crime"

I guess, all is fair in love and surf?
    There is no chivalry in a dog eat dog lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Keanu View Post
    There is no chivalry in a dog eat dog lineup.
    There used to be...in the good ol' days!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    There used to be...in the good ol' days!
    The good ol' days are long past...Blame the producers of bogus surf movies like Blue Crush, and surf shows on networks such as MTV. Blame surf companies like Quiksilver that bank from all the interest that surf movies and surf shows have generated. When someone from Nebraska all of a sudden has an urged to "surf", something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Read what Lee Cataluna wrote at this link in today's Advertiser, including:

"A new "reality" series shot in Hawai'i mixes real footage of lifeguards doing their usual duties with jazzed-up voice-over descriptions. "Beach Patrol: Honolulu" portrays every case of swallowed water, every reef scrape and every kid who floats too close to the breakwater as a terrifying brush with death."
    (...)
    "The creators of "Beach Patrol: Honolulu," which is airing at various times this month on Court TV, may have realized at some point that, thankfully, nothing too extreme happens on an average day at the beach, but they were bound and determined not to let that get in the way of telling an exciting tale of near-disaster for beachgoers. It's not exactly fiction, but it's exaggerated, hyped, over-the-top to the point of being laughable. It makes the real work of the Ocean Safety personnel seem trivial and small."
    I've watched the show, and yeah the voice over style and hyper editing is a bit over the top. I like watching for the little stuff they put in, like the UH students snipping off the jellyfish tentacles for research....but then I'm a science and medical type geek.

There was one episode that aired recently that really annoyed me...the one where the little girl got her ankle messed up and there was no adult around, just her 12 year old brother. The kids were dropped off by granny, and mommy couldn't get out of her own way to deal with it...WTF??

Anyone know if there's a real life time limit to when the cops/child services get called in when there's a situation like that? The editing made it seem like the kid was there quite awhile before an adult family member was willing to be located...but in all actuality it could have been only 5-15 minutes real time skewed to hours in TV time.

Still...The lifeguards aren't your personal babysitter. They ain't mindreaders either, they can't mind meld with you to let you know where your kid is at. What if the kid got snatched instead of hurt, the lifeguards might never have know they were there alone.

Thanks, DKP, fpr the link to the surfing bible. I have read it, will re-read it, and read it once again before I do anything that closely resembles surfing. I am a big believer in good sportsmanship, and the unwritten (I guess in this case it's well written) code of conduct and etiquette. I need to get into better shape, and while I used to be a strong swimmer, it was some time ago, and the ocean is a bit intimidating. My initial plan was to get a board and learn how to paddle around for a while. After all, you gotta learn how to walk, before you can run. I am patient with learning and personal development, so I'm going to take it slow, at least until I can find a newbie surfing buddy or two.

As for gear, I did a little reading, and I was inclined to go with a (prefereably used) 8' mini-mal (I go about 5'10"). I don't want to go with an uber starter board cuz I don't want to keep upgrading my gear, and my understanding is that a mini-mal is suitable for both the beginner and experienced surfer. Is this true?

You should be fine at White Plains Beach (Kalealoa, Ewa). Plenty of surf, plenty of room, lots of beginners. The more experienced surfers stay farther outside and well clear of the newbs. The water is very sandy and the sharks don't spend much time there.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
    As for gear, I did a little reading, and I was inclined to go with a (prefereably used) 8' mini-mal (I go about 5'10"). I don't want to go with an uber starter board cuz I don't want to keep upgrading my gear, and my understanding is that a mini-mal is suitable for both the beginner and experienced surfer. Is this true?
    Well, upgrading is part of the fun/challenge, but if you're under 200 pounds then you can probably get up on an eight-foot board. But a 9' will be easier, and a 10' easier still.

An hour's lesson from a buddy or a teacher is best, but another great reference is Doug Werner's "Longboarder's Start-up" or his other book, "Surfer's Start-up".

I'm at White Plains a couple mornings a week-- especially when it's 4-6 feet. I'm the ponytailed retired guy with the beat up 9'0" blue & white Keola Rapoza (of course with a noseguard and safety fins). Introduce yourself and I'll give you a lesson.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nords View Post
    I'm at White Plains a couple mornings a week-- especially when it's 4-6 feet. I'm the ponytailed retired guy with the beat up 9'0" blue & white Keola Rapoza (of course with a noseguard and safety fins). Introduce yourself and I'll give you a lesson.
    Hey Nords, thanks for the offer. I won't be on O'ahu until October at the earliest, but if I ever see you, I will definitely take you up on it.

In return, I can give teach you a little hockey, if you're interested.

See:

http://www.surfnewsnetwork.com/

http://www.surfguidehawaii.com/

http://www.hasasurf.org/

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/surfing..._in_Hawaii.htm

That should get you started... as for wave size, when we were at Makaha , a wave came OVER THE BEACH up to the sidewalk, and I got SOAKED... this was during the winter.. keep a eye on the surf during the winter months when in Makaha!

Quote Originally Posted by islandguy View Post
    [...]as for wave size, when we were at Makaha , a wave came OVER THE BEACH up to the sidewalk, and I got SOAKED... this was during the winter.. keep a eye on the surf during the winter months when in Makaha!
    Did that happen along the stretch of beach across from the Makaha Marketplace? I was at that stoplight in the lane closest to the sidewalk and saw a huge wave break on the beach and surge toward Farrington Hwy. There was a covered bus stop ahead of me and a small, older Filipino man standing on the curb, his back to the beach, ready to get on the bus that was stopped behind me. The surge hit a short rock wall and ricocheted up and over the bus stop and onto the highway, hitting my car. That poor man just stood there stunned...and completely drenched. I felt so bad for him. If one sees sand across the road when driving along Farrington during winter then one needs to be sure the car windows are up!!!

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...awaiian-roots/

Can go surfing. Just no cut class.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12