Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trees, Tweens, and Lawsuits

Tree stole their happiness
    [Julia Engle's mother Debbie] Engle, her 10-year-old daughter, Christina, at her side, spoke yesterday at a news conference at the office of her family's attorney, Rick Fried. "It is too early to say at this time. We can always be hopeful and optimistic," she said. "She definitely has youth on her side. Children are resilient." Behind Engle hung a bright yellow poster adorned with drawings of little cheerleaders that read "We Love You Julia."
    As soon as the first story broke with the phrase "city-owned tree," it was obvious a lawsuit was coming. Interestingly, while one might consider keeping logs of tree checks to be excessive bureaucracy, it's certainly helped in researching the history of these trees and their supposedly regular maintenance. What happened to Julia is a tragedy, and any news of improvement in her condition is good news, to be sure.

But. Am I the only one who thinks the coverage of this story is being too carefully managed by the attorney? He sure arrived on the scene early, and has been quite helpful, making sure TV cameras can get good footage of his experts examining the tree, reliably updating everyone on Julia's condition, and now generously offering to collect cards and gifts from Hawaii schoolchildren on her behalf. While well intentioned, it almost sounded like they were presenting a good "classroom project" for Hawaii's kids. Frankly, the footage from the press conference was jarring, at least to me, as it was almost festive.

And all the while, the story is, a lawsuit mightbe filed. Oh, the dramatic anticipation! Of coursea lawsuit will be filed. And keeping this tragedy on the front page is a good way to improve one's bargaining position.

Now, I am certain there is public interest in the case, and in Julia's well being, but the degree of warm-and-fuzzy exposure seems just a little out of proportion, considering how little we hear about other kids when they are hurt or die. I was just thinking of the girl abused on the Big Island - a big story, too, justifiably so, but already fading - and the last couple of kids who died falling from tall buildings.

There's a fine line between rejoicing in and celebrating the love locals freely give to those in need and taking advantage of it. I hope the "possible lawsuit" angle is tempered with simple and real hope for a full recovery for Julia.
    Last edited by pzarquon; March 23, 2005, 06:49 AM.

Re: Trees, Tweens, and Lawsuits

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Yesterday, her mom was overlly joyful of her other daughter being chosen to takes Julia's place in the may day program. I think they should concentrate on Julia's recovery and well being. Yes, other kekis in hawaii nei have suffered too in various cases and then some. they are quickly forgotten as in the case of "Reuben" who was beaten by his mother and remain in a veggie state at a care home. how sad that when it comes to financial gain for someone's injury or death, the ugliest form of greed comes out and overtakes the main purpose which is the welfare and recovery of the victim.

to julia's mother...get back on track lady. know your priorities. don't be staged and puppetted by your lawyer! whack whack on your head!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It's official. I'm sick of Debbie Engle. I'm even more sick of our local media, reliably flocking to her latest song-and-dance press conference. Look, lady, I'm glad your kid is getting better, and what happened was awful, but get off the stage and get back to being a mom. Sheesh.

I know, I know, I'm going to hell.

Comment

At least she didn't have her hair, on the side of her shoulder, like some "Sexy Staged Momma," as in a previous press conference.

Just be a mom. Leave the legal stuff to your lawyer....cause lady, you look quite stupid.

I'm happy that Julia is well.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I wanted to say how relieved I am that people are seeing Ms Debbie Engle for who & what she really is! I am so sick of her all over the news acting the way she does. The truth be told that woman was hardly at Julia's bedside when Julia needed her the most! She went back to work almost as soon as the accident happened and when she did go to the hospital to see Julia it was for an hour or two a day! She is selfish and disgusting as a mother & a human!

What I do want people to know is that Julia was not alone the rest of her family was there for her but mostly her father. He sat at Julia's bedside day & night, give her encouragment & love. He took her hom Friday from the hospital. He will make sure she gets the rehab she needs! He also does not feel the need to plaster his face and story all over the news concerning what happened to his little girl! So I think instead of waisting our energy feeling disgusted at Debbie we should say a prayer and be thankful we still have Julia, she's doing great and she's not doing it alone, she has her father standing by her side.

One last thing, I agree with the lawsiut on behalf of Julia who will need that money to pay for whatever she needs to get the best recovery. The city should ahve taken care of that tree in Nov last year when the tree -trimmers said it was no good! Just think, that could have been your child and thank God it wasn't! thank you

Comment

I was incredibly saddened by the negativity expressed by the posters on this thread towards Debbie Engle. After struggling through an awful tragedy that no family should ever have to suffer through, the people on here dog pile on the Mom, and for what? Because the local news outlets decided they wanted to cover the family's story? Am I missing something? Because I'm unaware that Ms. Engle is sitting on the news coverage board of any of the local outlets; as far as I know, she doesn't dispatch reporters to cover her daughter's story.

Julia couldn't ask for a more devoted, caring, and attentive mother, who has been able to somehow maintain an incredibly positive, uplifting, and encouraging attitude when many people would have turned into the wife of Job, and just wanted to bitterly curse God for the tragedy. Instead, Ms. Engle, like Job, has constantly looked for and found the positive, and it's reflected in how fast and well Julia is gaining ground in her recovery.

She definitely is undeserving of the scathing indictments and UNINFORMED judgmental opinions expressed on here -- some people ought to remember the old addage, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Comment

Originally posted by oahusurfer30
              Because I'm unaware that Ms. Engle is sitting on the news coverage board of any of the local outlets; as far as I know, she doesn't dispatch reporters to cover her daughter's story.
              Well, she and her lawyer were pretty diligent in sending out press releases updating the world on every development, and the press conferences were a sight to behold, well-choreographed affairs complete with heartstring-tugging photos and drawings.

There's a honeymoon period after any major event or tragedy where of course a private citizen gets lots of sympathy and understanding, despite the glaring lights of media scrutiny, because they didn't choose to be thrust into the headlines. There is, however, also a line that one crosses when one endeavors to remain in the headlines... at which point, you've slotted yourself in the "public figure" category, and are going to be fair game, both for the potential jurors you hope to sway in an upcoming civil suit, and for skeptical strangers on a website.
              "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
              That makes for a nice cushy cloud in heaven... but not for much interesting discussion. Which is why we're here, for better or worse.

I'm glad, at least, that an alternate viewpoint has been expressed, and that Ms. Engle has a defender. They seem pretty rare.

Comment

After one's 15 minutes of fame, it does take a lot of energy and emotional fortitude to carry on the fight. When the media is through with the sound bites and moves on to the next sad story, those whose stories have yet to be resolved are the ones who are left to try to let anyone know that things are not all cool and copacetic. At least Julia Engle is alive and while badly injured, she wasn't kidnapped or raped or killed and does have a future to look forward to.

For the families of missing children, the nightmare never ends. Natalee Hollaway's mom just left Aruba after 9 weeks of being on the island doing everything in her power to get the Dutch authorities to conduct a proper investigation. The commercial stations and newspapers stopped giving top coverage to this story after about a week. I think she was just burned out from being on cable news every single night and having the reporters ask her the same stupid questions. Some of her family (including Natalee's father) are still on Aruba and they still don't know where she is. Stories like this (and the one of Peter-Boy Kema) are the ones the public has to keep in their minds as long as there is no resolution.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Quote:
                  "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
                  That makes for a nice cushy cloud in heaven... but not for much interesting discussion. Which is why we're here, for better or worse.
                  welcome to the dark side, pzarq.
                  -kimo vader

Comment

Working...
                  X