This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Mayor's Race 2004

Today's Honolulu Advertiser brings us an update on the race for Honolulu mayor, with election day seven months away. It finds Duke Bainum with a fair lead over perennial candidate Mufi Hanneman, and with the immortal Frank Fasi hanging in there with a small chunk of loyal voters.

The story notes that Duke's challenge is visibility, while Mufi's challenge is a poor reputation. Mufi notes that he expected Duke to have a bigger lead at this point given what Duke has spent on advertising. But at least it sounds like Duke's got his strategy down pat.

Anyone else following the race, or is it too early to care?
    Duke Bainum
    50.00%
    Mufi Hanneman
    21.43%
    Frank Fasi
    28.57%
    Last edited by pzarquon; April 12, 2004, 01:59 PM.

Re: Honolulu Mayor's Race 2004

Did Fasi throw his hat in the ring for this year's race?

Comment

I don't feel good about Mufi. Maybe it's his "perennial candidate" air; maybe it's how he's swung so many cushy appointed jobs over the years (DBEDT director? gimme a break); maybe it's just his personality. Duke seems more earnest, somehow.

Comment

Actually there are several people who already pulled nomination papers for the Honolulu's mayor's race. Former mayor Frank Fasi is one of them. The more well known ones are indeed Mufi and Bainum. There are several other candidates of a "colorful" nature who have also pulled papers.

You can get a weekly list of all candidates who have either pulled or filed their nomination papers with the office of elections at this link:

2004 Candidate Filing Reports

The above link will trigger a PDF download.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks for that report, Macpro! So, we also have Bruce L. Bellows (Haleiwa), Daniel H. Cunningham (Honolulu), Lillian L. Hong (Honolulu), John W. James (Honolulu), Paul A. Manner (Honolulu), Gualberto J. Melendez (Honolulu), and Terrence K. Teruya (Honolulu).

Hong is almost an institution unto herself. She's quite active with and on the `Olelo public access television system. And if I recall correctly, Cunningham is the fellow who wants a "plutonium economy," taking over nuclear ships and subs from the military and plugging them into our power grid. Or something.

Any insights on the others?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            It finds Duke Bainum with a fair lead over perennial candidate Mufi Hanneman, and with the immortal Frank Fasi hanging in there...
            As heated as this race will be, it's refreshing to see that they can still enjoy a game of golf together.

Last edited by kukui_nut; May 26, 2004, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Fasi's still in race? Isn't there an age limit? (BTW, how old is he?)
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Frank's in his 80s, but he still carries a pretty potent kick. The ex-Marine still works out daily and has a bicep that would make a young man proud!

As far as perennial candidates, add to the list that Paul Manner guy. He's run the 1996 and 1998 elections for some office or another.

In 1998 he ran for U.S. Senate as a Republican against Inouye. Riiiiighhhht.
                Starbulletin.com Election Results 1998

In 1996 he ran against Calvin Say in 18th Dist. Palolo-St. Louis Hts.

Looks like he's back!

Blaine
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

7-8-04
                  Hi!
                  My name is Lillian Hong.
                  I am running for Honolulu Mayor also.
                  Can you add my name to your list with the other 3 mayoral candidates?
                  Thanks.
                  Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Thanks for that report, Macpro! So, we also have Bruce L. Bellows (Haleiwa), Daniel H. Cunningham (Honolulu), Lillian L. Hong (Honolulu), John W. James (Honolulu), Paul A. Manner (Honolulu), Gualberto J. Melendez (Honolulu), and Terrence K. Teruya (Honolulu).

Hong is almost an institution unto herself. She's quite active with and on the `Olelo public access television system. And if I recall correctly, Cunningham is the fellow who wants a "plutonium economy," taking over nuclear ships and subs from the military and plugging them into our power grid. Or something.

Any insights on the others?
                    Hi!
                    Just want to say Hello.
                    Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Welcom Lillian to this thread. I used to see your daughter working at Punahou School...but I am now retired so don't get a chance to see her.
                      You always try so hard in the Mayor's race...do you still do your jewelry?
                      I see more and more signs going up in people's yards for either Mufi or Duke.
                      Sometimes I see both in the same yard!
                      Retired Senior Member

Comment

7-10-2004
                        Dear Mocha,
                        I was soo happy to read your mail.
                        This is the first time I got response. I got another one earlier. He asked me if I am a spam-pot? What is that?
                        I am learning computer every night after I watch Korean drama, 11:30 p.m. on.
                        Did you see Jennifer or Kristina? They both are in Punahou.
                        There is a Collectible Show in NBC on July 23,24,25. Patrick is going to SF
                        show on the same dates.
                        I did not set money on signs and banners. I asked ThePeople in the community to imagine. When you see mufi's sign, imagine you see
                        Lillian Hong for Mayor! Haha!
                        Thank you very much for responding. There are people really surfing internet!
                        Have a nice day.
                        Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          Actually there are several people who already pulled nomination papers for the Honolulu's mayor's race. Former mayor Frank Fasi is one of them. The more well known ones are indeed Mufi and Bainum. There are several other candidates of a "colorful" nature who have also pulled papers.

You can get a weekly list of all candidates who have either pulled or filed their nomination papers with the office of elections at this link:

2004 Candidate Filing Reports

The above link will trigger a PDF download.
                          7-10-2004
                          Hi, Mel,
                          Thank you very much fpr your weekly list of all candidates filing report.
                          I do video programs on Olelo channel 54 about honolulu mayor's race. I used your suggestions twice already.
                          Former Mayor Fasi had filed his nomination paper on 6-24-2004.
                          All together there are 16 persons took out the nomination papers and
                          5 already file the papers to run for mayor as of 7-9-2004.
                          I am one of them.
                          Have a nice day.
                          Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Originally posted by lillian l. hong
                            7-10-2004
                            Thank you very much fpr your weekly list of all candidates filing report.
                            Thank you Ms. Hong. The weekly list is only a link from here to the Office of Election website who issues the report every Friday afternoon until the filing deadline arrives on July 20. I am sure that by that date the 16 or possibly more candidates running for mayor will either all be running or be whittled down somewhat if some choose not to file. I am sure you know that.

I have seen some of your colorful cablecasts on the Olelo channels.

For those of our readers who may not know, what are your goals and objectives if you become mayor? Will you support or oppose the very expensive and intrusive BRT project?
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Could I ask what political party, if any, Ms Hong is associated with?

I just can't see myself voting for ANY Republican this year, for any office.

Comment

Working...
                              X