This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Mayor's Race 2004

Well, as of yesterday, 16 people have filed, so more than a few folks will be in "Other" territory.

For purposes of our little poll here, I would say including Lillian Hong with "leading candidates" Duke Bainum and Mufi Hanneman makes sense... since she is here in our community, and definitely has name recognition.

As for who else gets one of the six other coveted slots (Duke, Mufi, Lillian and Other already slotted in), it's all relative, a judgement call. I'd hope Frank Fasi would make the short list, of course, but the rest I don't really know.

So... anyone else have testimonials to offer for Bruce L. Bellows, Kirk S. Bowman, Daniel H. Cunningham, Theodore W. Gibson, John W. James, Donovan D. Kambel, Paul A. Manner, Gualberto J. Melendez, Glenn L. Pinho, Michael E. Powers, Miles F. Shiratori, or Terrance K. Teruya?

I've heard of Daniel Cunningham, actually:
    A former chiropractor who claims he lost his license for curing cancer, Cunningham said he decided to run for governor when he realized that he was Daniel of Revelation of the Ecclesia. "I'm the guy from the Bible," he said. "I realized the only solution for change was to bring it." He had been a Libertarian, but they did not support his plan to use decommissioned nuclear submarines to provide free energy for the state, so he founded the Free Energy party.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      It seems like one of my posts got deleted, but I wanted to note that if we have more than 10 candidates on the ballot for Mayor after July 20, there will not be enough space to list them all individually as they should be. Who is to determine the 9 candidates that are to be listed individually by name, and who is lopped into the final choice of "others"? What do you think Ms. Hong? Would you prefer to be listed along with Mufi and Duke or just be grouped in that generic term "others"?

Of course if 10 or less candidates actually file this will not be a problem.
      Hi, Mel,
      As of 7-14-2004, there were 16 persons took out the nomination papers.
      5 filed the nomination papers--so called mayoral candidates, I am one of them.
      Let's wait to July 20 the dead line.
      Just a suggestion as of now:
      1. If we do have more than 10 as you stated, is it possible to split them into 50% in one "slot" each, by alphabetical order to be fair? (with a explaination)
      Since You asked, I was always disappointed, when local newspapers and TV reporters group me into "others". It hurts.
      Can you at least try not to use "others"?
      2. May be you list all the candidates, and ask the members to choose one in reply to you. How's that?
      Just a suggestion.
      Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Well, as of yesterday, 16 people have filed, so more than a few folks will be in "Other" territory.

For purposes of our little poll here, I would say including Lillian Hong with "leading candidates" Duke Bainum and Mufi Hanneman makes sense... since she is here in our community, and definitely has name recognition.

As for who else gets one of the six other coveted slots (Duke, Mufi, Lillian and Other already slotted in), it's all relative, a judgement call. I'd hope Frank Fasi would make the short list, of course, but the rest I don't really know.

So... anyone else have testimonials to offer for Bruce L. Bellows, Kirk S. Bowman, Daniel H. Cunningham, Theodore W. Gibson, John W. James, Donovan D. Kambel, Paul A. Manner, Gualberto J. Melendez, Glenn L. Pinho, Michael E. Powers, Miles F. Shiratori, or Terrance K. Teruya?

I've heard of Daniel Cunningham, actually:
        Hi, Pzarquon,
        It is very nice of you to suggest putting me with Dr. Bainum and Mufi. Thank you so much.
        I have written to Mel with few suggestions.
        I was in the city council meeting to-day. I waved my sign in front of the
        City Hall for 1.50 hours.. Any member saw me?
        I met one man in the elevator. He asked if I am Lillian Hong. He said he watched my programs on Olelo channel 54. I was so happy to hear that.
        Just wish to share my happiness with you.
        Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Originally posted by lillian l. hong
          Hi, Mel,
          Just a suggestion as of now:
          1. If we do have more than 10 as you stated, is it possible to split them into 50% in one "slot" each, by alphabetical order to be fair? (with a explaination)
          Since You asked, I was always disappointed, when local newspapers and TV reporters group me into "others". It hurts.
          Can you at least try not to use "others"?
          2. May be you list all the candidates, and ask the members to choose one in reply to you. How's that?
          Just a suggestion.
          Love, Lillian Hong

Since Ryan (aka Prophet Zarquon, admin) owns and operates the board, I'll leave that decision up to him as to who gets listed and who is thrown into the generic "others" if there are more than 10 candidates and the poll is limited only to 10 candidates. I don't want to be the person to decide who will be "others".

I don't know if having a 2 part poll with 10 candidates in one part and 6 in the other will work. Given that Mufi and Duke will more likely fall into the first list (their names at the near beginning of the alphabet), it is quite possible that whoever falls in the 2nd list will not get any votes at all if the poll is so structured.

I sympathize with you and other candidates who are not taken seriously by the media. But you know what... just keep on doing what you do, because you can never tell... the public sentiment may change and they may actually vote for you.

Way back in 1988 on the Big Island of Hawaii, there was this one old guy, his name being Bernard Akana who ran a low key, one guy only holding a sign campaign for 20 years running for mayor. In his last attempt in making a run for office, he actually won the election and became the mayor of the Big Island for 2 years (sadly he died while he was in office from cancer), much to the surprise of all the hardened politicos and the media. Of course it helped that the person he ran against, then incumbent mayor Dante Carpenter had committed political suicide there by mis-spending the county budget on a number of items.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks for that report, Macpro! So, we also have Bruce L. Bellows (Haleiwa), Daniel H. Cunningham (Honolulu), Lillian L. Hong (Honolulu), John W. James (Honolulu), Paul A. Manner (Honolulu), Gualberto J. Melendez (Honolulu), and Terrence K. Teruya (Honolulu).

Hong is almost an institution unto herself. She's quite active with and on the `Olelo public access television system. And if I recall correctly, Cunningham is the fellow who wants a "plutonium economy," taking over nuclear ships and subs from the military and plugging them into our power grid. Or something.

Any insights on the others?
            Hello everyone... I too am running for the office of mayor. I just wanted to add some "insight" about myself, at night I am a electronic technician for The Bus and in the day I repair the 800 mhz city radio system and am assigned to HPD. I cannot stand by anymore while our administration holds our taxpayers hostage, while extorting our city council to make unfavorable decisions that seem to raise everything. We are not an unlimited resource of money, I work 2 jobs to pay my mortgage, to pay my bills and still they want more. Every candidate has the same answers, the real question is Who To Believe...Thanks everyone Terrence K. Teruya
            Last edited by terrence k. teruya; July 15, 2004, 08:14 PM.
            Mahalo Terrence K. Teruya

Comment

Originally posted by mel
              I don't know if having a 2 part poll with 10 candidates in one part and 6 in the other will work. Given that Mufi and Duke will more likely fall into the first list (their names at the near beginning of the alphabet), it is quite possible that whoever falls in the 2nd list will not get any votes at all if the poll is so structured.
              I don't want to muddy the waters here but there are two suggestions I can add to this. One the poll could be on HawaiiStories.com. Thing is I don't know the limitions of that web's site polling section, like the limit of how many choices it can have.

The second suggestion is to have 16 different threads with the candidate's name as the thread's title and the poll asking if this candidate will be okay as the mayor of Honolulu using Yes, No, Don't care as the options.

Comment

Thanks, Terrance, for finding us and giving us some insight into your platform. It's great to learn something about the unfortunate and frequently overlooked "other" candidates, especially when it comes directly from the horse's mouth. It sounds like you have a real understanding of the challenges faced by the working people of Honolulu, and an inside understanding of some of the basic problems inside government.

Since it was asked of Lillian, could you tell us your position on the hot-button issues of the day, such as the BRT system and city spending priorities? What would you like to get done from City Hall?

As for the ongoing wrangling about the poll, I'm beginning to think the best solution is a simple, poll-less Mayor's Race thread, where all the names can be posted and the discussion by and about anyone can then grow naturally. It's great, for example, that we already have two lesser-known candidates here sharing their views. There's no reason the conversation needs to be limited to a couple of checkboxes.

I think the direct competition between Bainum and Hanneman could be fodder for a thread all its own (rescuing the more limited starting point we had with this one).

Comment

Originally posted by terrence k. teruya
                  I cannot stand by anymore while our administration holds our taxpayers hostage, while extorting our city council to make unfavorable decisions that seem to raise everything. We are not an unlimited resource of money, I work 2 jobs to pay my mortgage, to pay my bills and still they want more.
                  Terrance, we definitely need more people like you who have an understanding that whatever budget process the city or state implements the consequences of that process hits the taxpayers in the pocketbook where it can hurt the most. All individuals, families and businesses have to practice fiscal prudence whenever times are tough. It is appalling that government often gets away with foolish spending on projects that are not the core of a government function... for example, useless beautification projects that penalize motorists from using the roadways by taking away lanes and wasting taxpayer money on activities such as "Sunset on the Beach."

In the meantime, the city's infrastructure continues to crumble (sewer and water mains breaking) while the current administration just wants to paint a pretty picture and ignore the necessities. This kind of policy needs to stop.

And yes, No New Taxes!
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As for the ongoing wrangling about the poll, I'm beginning to think the best solution is a simple, poll-less Mayor's Race thread, where all the names can be posted and the discussion by and about anyone can then grow naturally. It's great, for example, that we already have two lesser-known candidates here sharing their views. There's no reason the conversation needs to be limited to a couple of checkboxes.

You know what, I like this option the best. We can keep the mayor discussion right here.. perhaps delete the poll above and just keep this going as is. This thread was laying idle for some time but now has picked up as we draw closer to the first major deadline.

As a note, in order for any candidate to win the mayor's race in the September 18 primary election, that candidate has to achieve a 50% vote + 1 simple majority. If that candidate wins by at least this margin, I believe that person will become mayor.

However if no one gets 50% + 1 vote, then the top 2 finishing candidates (getting the most votes in the primary) will face each other in a runoff that will be held on November 2 in conjunction with the General Election. If that happens I think then it will be very easy to start another mayor's poll and a new thread here.

Just my taxless 2 cents.

mel
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by terrence k. teruya
                      Hello everyone... I too am running for the office of mayor. I just wanted to add some "insight" about myself, at night I am a electronic technician for The Bus and in the day I repair the 800 mhz city radio system and am assigned to HPD. I cannot stand by anymore while our administration holds our taxpayers hostage, while extorting our city council to make unfavorable decisions that seem to raise everything. We are not an unlimited resource of money, I work 2 jobs to pay my mortgage, to pay my bills and still they want more. Every candidate has the same answers, the real question is Who To Believe...Thanks everyone Terrence K. Teruya
                      \

Hi, Mr. Teruya,
                      I am so glad you wrote to us.
                      I have listed your name since you filed your nomination paper, on my video programs on Olelo channel 54.
                      If you want to send me a picture, I will open a page for you on my program.
                      Almost everyday I have at least one program on channel 54. The most for one day is 7 programs.
                      I do volunteer works, so there is no charge. OK?
                      Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        You know what, I like this option the best. We can keep the mayor discussion right here.. perhaps delete the poll above and just keep this going as is. This thread was laying idle for some time but now has picked up as we draw closer to the first major deadline.

As a note, in order for any candidate to win the mayor's race in the September 18 primary election, that candidate has to achieve a 50% vote + 1 simple majority. If that candidate wins by at least this margin, I believe that person will become mayor.

However if no one gets 50% + 1 vote, then the top 2 finishing candidates (getting the most votes in the primary) will face each other in a runoff that will be held on November 2 in conjunction with the General Election. If that happens I think then it will be very easy to start another mayor's poll and a new thread here.

Just my taxless 2 cents.

mel
                        Hi, Mel,
                        I agree with your suggestions.
                        You are very knowledgeable about the mayoral candidacy. Not every one know about the 50% +1 vote! I have been saying that on my program for about a month now.
                        I am hearing from many neighborhood boards that they are very much emphasizing at the general election. If any mayoral candidate gets
                        50% + 1 vote on September 18, 2004, there will not be a general election for mayor.
                        To you all: If you are interested who will be your next mayor from
                        January 2, 2005 to January 2, 2009, vote if you are a registered voter on
                        September 18, 2004; talk to your families and your friends, encourage them to vote if you cannot registered to vote. You can still make a difference!
                        Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          Since Ryan (aka Prophet Zarquon, admin) owns and operates the board, I'll leave that decision up to him as to who gets listed and who is thrown into the generic "others" if there are more than 10 candidates and the poll is limited only to 10 candidates. I don't want to be the person to decide who will be "others".

I sympathize with you and other candidates who are not taken seriously by the media. But you know what... just keep on doing what you do, because you can never tell... the public sentiment may change and they may actually vote for you.

Way back in 1988 on the Big Island of Hawaii, there was this one old guy, his name being Bernard Akana who ran a low key, one guy only holding a sign campaign for 20 years running for mayor. In his last attempt in making a run for office, he actually won the election and became the mayor of the Big Island for 2 years (sadly he died while he was in office from cancer), much to the surprise of all the hardened politicos and the media. Of course it helped that the person he ran against, then incumbent mayor Dante Carpenter had committed political suicide there by mis-spending the county budget on a number of items.
                          Hi, Mel,
                          Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging note.
                          Do you know how many people in the street told me this Bernard Akana story? They also all told me he died! I am using his spirit as my role model, to keep on going, and never give up. I wish someday I will be Honolulu Mayor. At the same time, I gave myself a lot of credit. I learned every minute how to be a better person along with my path. I am happy as I am now. Of course, I will be happier if I am the Honolulu Mayor on September 18, 2004. Haha!
                          Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Hi,
                            Just saw the 10 o'clock news. Dr. Bainum and mufi had filed their nomination papers. They are now officially mayoral candidates. I'll check to-morrow's
                            candidates filing list to find out who else have filed to-day.
                            Thank you for the special thing for me from HawaiiThread.com. How do I use that? Can somebody tell me what is that? The page is not in front of me, I forgot what was it. I don't dare to switch to see what is it, for fear I will lose this page. I'll go back to see after I send this out. Sorry. Thank you.
                            Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Originally posted by lillian l. hong
                              Hi,
                              Just saw the 10 o'clock news. Dr. Bainum and mufi had filed their nomination papers. They are now officially mayoral candidates. I'll check to-morrow's
                              candidates filing list to find out who else have filed to-day.
                              Thank you for the special thing for me from HawaiiThread.com. How do I use that? Can somebody tell me what is that? The page is not in front of me, I forgot what was it. I don't dare to switch to see what is it, for fear I will lose this page. I'll go back to see after I send this out. Sorry. Thank you.
                              Love, Lillian Hong
                              Hi!
                              As of 7-16-2004 5:44 p.m.
                              Altogether there are 8 mayoral candidates:
                              Duke Bainum
                              Daniel Cunningham
                              Frank Fasi
                              Theodore Gibson
                              Mufi Hannemann
                              Lillian Hong
                              Glenn Pinho
                              Terrence Teruya
                              There are 8 more persons took out the nomination papers, they must file before July 20, 2004 before 4:30 p.m. to be valid.
                              Just have to sit quietly till 4:31 p.m. on Tuesday.
                              Have a nice day.
                              Love, Lillian hong

Comment

The dust has settled, the candidates who have filed, have filed and the deadline has passed. In all according to the unofficial count from the State's Elections Office, a total of 10 people will be running for mayor this season, two of which have posted to this very conference. Looks like the count just makes the cutoff for a possible poll to be started here.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X