This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weakly flogging

I just picked up the current Weekly. I don't know if it' the same issue someone posted about below, but I just don't get it. The stories are about DLNR, radiation victims, UH news, etc. I don't see anything wrong with any of them.

It's got its problems (too liberal most of the time, inconsistent) but it's not near bad enough to deserve the constant ragging it gets around here.

Re: More fun with Weekly Flogging...

Originally posted by lorider
    I just picked up the current Weekly.
    it's not near bad enough to deserve the constant ragging

uhh...
    are you sure you are not affiliated with the weekly in some way?

You're Catharine, aren't you.
    Last edited by kimo55; March 28, 2005, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Re: More fun with Weakly Flogging...

it's not near bad enough to deserve the constant ragging it gets around here.
      Well, actually it is that bad. And Lord knows we've cited more than enough examples.
      But rather than consider it "ragging" or "flogging", we prefer to think of it as "constructive criticism".
      There's definitely a need for the Weakly or something similar to it. We just want to see it become good.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        Well, actually it is that bad. And Lord knows we've cited more than enough examples.
        But rather than consider it "ragging" or "flogging", we prefer to think of it as "constructive criticism".
        There's definitely a need for the Weakly or something similar to it. We just want to see it become good.

yea. what you said.
        or in the weekly vernacular:
        "I juzz wannuh see them get their gooder on."

Comment

"affiliated with the Weekly in some way."

I suppose I am. I have known several people who work there over the years and I admire their efforts, in very, very difficult circumstances, to get the paper out every week. So I'm sure my biases are with them.

What bothers me is that even as I am easily able to critique the Weekly's flaws, you and others (but particularly you) are hard-pressed to say anything positive, ever, about the Weekly. Sure, it's great fun to fire away, but I feel like I outgrew that 20 years ago. If you're going to insult hardworking people when they fuck up, then at least have the decency to offer praise when they get it right.

I really don't care, other than I support my friends, I care about journalism, and I want the Weekly to get much, much better than it is now. And also I think you're a blowhard who needs to be put in his place

Comment

I think you're a blowhard who needs to be put in his place
            ok. put me in my place.
            and btw; where is that?
            I am, for a short while, open... shoot me down.

you are hard-pressed to say anything positive, ever, about the Weekly.
            I like the cover price.

Sure, it's great fun to fire away, but I feel like I outgrew that 20 years ago.
            If you're going to insult hardworking people when they f#<k up, then at least have the decency to offer praise when they get it right.
            I will never outgrow using the weekly as fodder for social commentary.
            They are a public paper that is more and more often leaning toward the profane and it is depressing. A few years ago, I DID have much positive things to say about them.
            You know people at the weekly and defend them. OK, all well and good and well you should, I suppose.
            But.
            Your energies are misdirected; you can't see the forest for the trees, you are so entrenched.
            And why I would be tied to the epithet "blowhard" is beyond me. Perhaps you can explain why or how you find it fitting to label me a "braggart, a loud arrogant boaster". Which is how "blowhard" is defined.
            Exactly what have I boasted or bragged about?!

You want to "put me in my place" based on some things that are seemingly directed toward hardworking familiar individuals, that is not my intent to discredit their efforts, just some of the results.
            Last edited by kimo55; March 28, 2005, 08:53 PM.

Comment

If this thread becomes too personal in nature, please take it to email. Constructive criticism is okay, personal attacks not.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I just realized that in the month of March, I've flipped through several copies of - and actually readan article or two in - MidWeek, but only picked up and ended up discarding one copy of the Weekly. If that's not a bad sign for our "alternative" newspaper, I don't know what is.

I mean, c'mon, MidWeek more interesting? It's full of syndicated columns and inane ramblings, used mostly to wrap lucrative ads.

Comment

I have known several people who work there over the years and I admire their efforts, in very, very difficult circumstances, to get the paper out every week.
                  That's very true. Most of the blame for most of the problems goes straight to the top... the publisher.
                  If you haven't seen this yet, take some time and read the comments of a long list of former Weakly staffers:
                  http://web.archive.org/web/200211200...ords/HW10.html

and

http://web.archive.org/web/200203130...rds/HW10b.html

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    I mean, c'mon, MidWeek more interesting? It's full of syndicated columns and inane ramblings, used mostly to wrap lucrative ads.
                    Inane ramblings is right... picked up the weekend edition last week and read that the Living Room (a nightspot at Fisherman's Wharf) is one of the city's best kept secrets.

Please.

It ain't secret just because the writer just discovered it - there have been items in BOTH dailies about the place, and it gets listed every week in the calendars for the Advertiser, Star-Bulletin and the Weekly!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      ..... used mostly to wrap lucrative ads.
                      I use it mostly to wrap fish.

Comment

Likanui, I apologize for calling you a "blowhard who needs to be put in his place." I added the smiley as a way of trying to suggest that I meant it as a realtively friendly elbow, but it doesn't come off that way. My mistake.

I'll stop posting to defend the Weekly. It is a flawed paper in many, many ways, and probably deserves as much criticism as it gets. As my parting shot, I'll just say that I think good pieces make it into the Weekly fairly often, and that the staff there is to be commended for getting that thing out despite...many challenges.

But it does need to be better. I just thought I'd try to add some balance to the conversation.

Comment

Likanui, I apologize for calling you a "blowhard who needs to be put in his place."
                          Whoa.
                          what da...
                          Lika!
                          This lo rider is dissing us both. How we miss dat!?

(and I still wanna know why lorider thinks I was bragging.)
                          Last edited by kimo55; March 29, 2005, 10:53 PM.

Comment

OK, Who wantsta start?
                            anyone?

ok, here goes:

the Pake issue.
                            On the cover: "Food' what does it mean to you"
                            heck wi dat!
                            What you guys mean by
                            "the Pake issue"?!

the putty issue?
                            the brittle weak issue?
                            the Chinese issue?
                            the variety of sugar cane issue?

Good article on cheap sources for good food.
                            Good to see "best kept secrets" around oahu for this kine stuffs. Altho i think the article coulda been almost twice the size.
                            Speaking of size, the club listings type/font size is getting too small.
                            (or maybe my eyes getting too old)

With all the ragging we do, and all the other stuff and social commentary seen here and on local blogs, they otta fill more pages with free "guest journalist" writings:
                            If the editors see stuff on the local net, blogs and chatboards, they could request a "reprint" kinda thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

With all the ragging we do, and all the other stuff and social commentary seen here and on local blogs, they otta fill more pages with free "guest journalist" writings:
                              If the editors see stuff on the local net, blogs and chatboards, they could request a "reprint" kinda thing.
                              are you serious? you want them to reprint your posts to a message board? woah.

Comment

Working...
                              X